• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are things copied from Photoshop not able to paste in other programs?

Participant ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scenario: I'm creating a YouTube cover graphic in Photoshop, and I have typed the title of the video into a text box in Photoshop. I want to copy the title text and paste it into the file name when exporting an image, paste it into Premier and/or AfterEffects for title animations and file names, and paste it into Word (because it's the title of the document when I write up the transcript).

Problem: Nothing I copy in Photoshop will paste anywhere else. Not in text boxes, note pads, email, or other Adobe programs. I litterally can't do the "work around" suggested in other threads of pasting text into a plain-text format, because Photoshop doesn't seem to load the text to the universal clip board. Also, if I re-order my work flow so that I'm copying the title elsewhere, it's a 50/50 chance whether or not photoshop will recognize the text on the clipboard, regardless of where I copy it from. (I realize re-typing a video title 5 times isn't a huge deal breaker, but copy-paste is 100x faster and there's no chance of typos.)

Yes, I have updated Photoshop and all my other Adobe programs. I'm working on a Windows 10 PC, and yes, it's up to date. Yes, I've updated my graphics cards. Yes, I've restarted the computer (twice).

What am I missing? Why won't Photoshop play nice with the universal clip board? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy and paste text you've got in a Photoshop document into another document – if you can't do it, it may be because the text has been rasterised i.e. it isn't live text any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No rasters here. It's all in a text box. Doesn't matter if it's a paragraph block or single-line. I've tried both ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zebra Jamie Sounds frustrating for sure. This should be working if the type tool and text layer are selected. I assume you are mousing over the text to highlight all of it and using Ctrl C / Ctrl V. If you try through the Edit > Copy option, are you still unable to paste the text into another application? If you can use that method but not the keyboard shortcuts it could be you need to reset or restart Windows Explorer. Close everything you have open. Launch the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc). In the Processes tab, right-click Windows Explorer and select Restart. Launch Photoshop and try again. 

Also, is this happening only with the video cover graphics template you are using? If you open a new document and add one text layer can you cut and paste normally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried keyboard shortcuts, right-clicking to get the little pop-up menu, and using the top-bar menu (under "Edit"). None of it works. I can paste into the same Photoshop file, but anything outside of Photoshop doesn't even have the option to paste anything.

If I close everything, double-check all the processes are closed in the Task Manager, restart Photoshop, and test the text on a blank canvas, it works! But then I open the video cover file and it stops working--across all files that are open. So that new document that I created where it worked? Yeah, no longer playing nicely with the others.

So maybe there's a setting or tiny corruption in that document that's upsetting whatever secret processes govern what is and isn't clip-board-able?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a preference to not export clipboard...

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 3.26.41 PM.png

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My clipboard is checked to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing that you already know that you can save the psd and bring that into Premiere Pro and choose to keep it layered.  The layers are automatically placed in their own bin, which has the name you saved the PSD file as. 

I prefer to add titles, other text and overlays this way.  You make your Photoshop document the same size as your sequence, and the text and other content are positioned in PremPro exactly as they are in Photoshop. The layer names are kept making asset management easier.  If you are worried about safe areas for titles, then make or find a template and put in a CC Library so it is always instantly available.  You can right click the content in the Timeline and chose to Edit in Photoshop.

You can use layer effects and all those things that Photoshop is so much more powerful than PremPro at.  The only thing it falls down on is that, AFAIK, you can't add content to the PSD and have it appear in the PremPro bin.  Not even if you close and reopen the PremPro project after saving the updated PSD file.  You have to use a new PSD in Photoshop.

But I'm betting you already knew all that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great option for when I need the cover incorporated in a video, but I frequently don't bother, as the cover images I work on are very different from the video content. But the process you describe is great for lower-thirds and other graphcis. Also, since I just have a really basic cover, I don't update the name of the PSD file to the name of the project all the time. Literally, all I change is the text and then export a fresh JPG to be uploaded on YouTube with the video. This one file has worked for dozens of videos before, but it's just recently that the copy-paste feature is glitching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you highlight the text, you should be able to copy it into several Adobe programs.

Granted I usually copy and past things within the realms of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines