Why can't you edit a placed embedded smart object layer?

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place an image onto my canvas by drag & drop or copy & paste, then convert the image layer into a smart object I have no problems opening that smart object and adding adjustments layers. When I place an image onto my canvas by choosing place embedded, which then automatically converts the image into a smart object layer and when I try to edit the smart object I recieve an error message;

Can't save this document back to its original file format. Flatten layers and discard extra data as necessary then choose File > Save again.

Does this happen for a reason because I like the fact that if you place an image onto your canvas convert the layer to a smart object then duplicate and transform that if I change the image Ps not only replaces all the duplicated smart objects but also remembers the transform properties.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File formats. 

If you place an image in a format that does not support Layers it naturally cannot be saved with Layers. 

So if placed jpg, png, … files cannot be saved with Adjustment Layers that is the consequence of your choice to use those file formats. 

You can save the layered open Smart Object as a new psd, psb or tif somewhere and use Layer > Smart Objetcs > Replace Contents to replace the original flat image in the containing image. 

Edit: When converting Layers to a Smart Object in Photoshop it will be created as a psb right away, so layers-capable. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So when you place a jpg file using place embedded photoshop converts it into a smart object  but keeps it as a jpg therefore when one tries to open that smart object and add an adustment layer you can't save it. If I paste a jpg image by copy or paste or drag & drop then I convert the layer myself  into a smart object then photoshop converts that jpg into a psb to allow for adjustment layers but not if I use File / Place Embeded which converts to a smart object, that smart object has to be edited destructivly. 

So Paste It Don't Place It

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines