• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do all my images open as grayscale?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what I change my settings to, all images I open in photoshop come in as grayscale.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

I finally fixed mine.  I went to the Edit menu: Edit>Preferences>General>Reset Preferences on Quit button (and then close program and restart)

The Reset Preferences on Quit button is toward the bottom-middle-right of the General panel.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2010 Nov 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide me the more details like what version you are using, system details etc.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to tack on my question as well since it sounds similar.

I'm using PhotoShop CS4 and I've opened a black and white jpg.  It's solid black with a white background and 300ppi.  It's a ridiculously simple image.  All I'm trying to do is change the black to a color.  I wanted to just grab the bucket tool and dump on some color.  However, when I selected the color as my foreground color, I noticed I'm no longer in RGB (seems only Adobe gods know why).  It's showing a grayscale horizontal bar in my colors tab on the top right.  I also see a rainbow colored horizontal bar.  Color picker worked fine but as soon as I chose my color it went back to gray as my foreground color.

How do I get back to RGB?  I've fiddled around with this for 2 1/2 hours looking for solutions online and in the help sections on the program.  I'm now more educated on what colors are and how they're used and their deep geneauology but unfortunately, none of that has been able to tell me how to flip back to RGB. 

Also, when I tried opening a new blank image the color selection was fine.  Do you think it's something funky with the image locking in a grayscale?  I also tried reopening PhotoShop. 

HOLD ON!!  I FIXED IT!!

Well, I hope this helps Crystal (above).

I hit the "Image" tab, "Mode" and saw that "grayscale" was checked.  I have no idea how that happened but I selected "RGB" and I have color.  I'm sure you were all holding your breath, right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not holding my breath any longer. Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image you imported was probably saved in grayscale by the original creator, hence when it opened in PS, the program preserved those settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You saved my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Crystal,

i think what keeps all grayscale images, regardless of your actions, is a preference on the Edit menu> Color Settings, the option "Advanced Controls" must be activated "Desaturate Monitor Colors in" and the value must be in 100%.

miguel menéndez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If is that, the correct values are Edit menu> Color Settings, the option "Advanced Controls" NO activate "Desaturate Colors in Monitor"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, up until recently, the only way to gain control over the conversion was to use Photoshop's Channel Mixer, which was fine as long as you understood a thing or two about how Channels work. Even then, using the Channel Mixer never really seemed natural because it forced us to think like Photoshop rather than asking Photoshop to think like us. For something as common as converting color photos to black and white, there had to be a better way.And now there is a

tool you'll ever need to convert your color images to black and white. It's called the black and white adjustment, and it's easy, it's totally natural....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally fixed mine.  I went to the Edit menu: Edit>Preferences>General>Reset Preferences on Quit button (and then close program and restart)

The Reset Preferences on Quit button is toward the bottom-middle-right of the General panel.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually works! kudos KarenCityofSacramento! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too, and what I had done wrong was when I opened a new file, the "Color Mode" was set to "Grayscale." Hope that helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love U bro thanks its really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I had this problem too but I checked setting and my "Color Mode" was set to "Grayscale."

reklama busko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sir,

I checked my color settings but i never get color mode where it is?

All my laptop things are changed to  grayscale, could you please help me to overcome this problem into original.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I've tried every proposed solution in this forum. Does anyone else have ideas?

Crystal, were you able to fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sir,

Could you please confrim me where can i go for "edit Menu" as i am unable to get it.

Actually my problem is through my laptop all things are coverted into grayscale even in movies, pictures, letters etc., please provide me to overcome this. i am very very tensed about this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ace. Did the trick. Still annoying i have to put all preferences back again, but at least I got to create a jpg file of my logo in color... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this worked like a charm, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SOLUTION! I tried everything from here and wouldnt work. This worked: Image (top bar) > mode > RGB colour 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines