• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I have to flatten jpg images now to save them in photoshop [2020]

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone having issues with this? I open a .jpg image, edit, and when I go to "save" windows explorer (file window) opens and gives me the option to only save as a .pdf, .tiff and some other formats. So now, it seems I have to flatten the jpg before I save it but I didn't do anything, like create a layer document, that would make the image have to be flattened? In the past, I would hit save and that was it, image would be saved in the correct folder and correct extension. Please advise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

What edits ?

Jpeg can't support a crop without deleted pixels, or a single layer with transparent pixels....

Dave

PS. As an aside, I understand you may be forced into it, but generally opening a jpeg and resaving is not the best idea due to the cumulative impact of jpeg lossy compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on CC 21.0.2?

I just opened a JPG, painted a squigle on it and pressed CTRL+S and it brought up the JPEG compression options. Which is normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using an early version of PS now and it works fine. Once I am finished working I will get on my other computer and try to fix the issue and what a wonderful community thanks. I think it might be a computer issues too, thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue, and its driving me nuts. the new versions of PS, has just added more click and are making my work more complicated. i now have to work in both 2021 and 2019 version. did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Lindamunkler wrote:

i have the same issue,

Hi

The issue posted here in January 2020 is that Kenneth had "delete cropped pixels" unchecked when he cropped and therefore had to flatten the jpeg before saving it. He says that in a later reply. If you are having the same issue, the check that in the options bar for the Crop tool.

More likely, though, you are seeing a newer issue that came up in PS 22, which was solved with 22.4.2

In 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.
As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

If it is neither of these, please clarify.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What image mode are you working in

image mode.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have added layers to you flat document that was opened fro a jpeg file it you use Photoshop Save Ctrl+S. Photoshop will switch to Save As (Shift+Ctrl+S) and default to a Layerd file format.  You can use the File Type pull down a switch to Jpeg.  Photoshop will save a flat jpeg file.  The document in Photoshop will still be layered and if you use save again photoshop will again switch to Save As and default to a layered file type. If you flatten the document Ctrl+S  save will work and your flat document will save over the documents backing jpeg file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using that mode, never touched anything. I moved to my other pc w/ the early version of PS and it's working fine now. Will tackle the other one soon, right now too many edits I have to get out the door. I do appercate the help, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply stated you can NOT have Layers in the JPG file format. So you either have to save as a TIF or PSD file OR Flatten the image to save the changes, edits, to the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago, I would edit and do save and it was done, now I have to flatten the image before I save as a jpg? I am using PS CC 2019 right now and I do not have to do that. I will upload video later, I might be explaining it correctly 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this "early version of PS" where it works differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What edits ?

Jpeg can't support a crop without deleted pixels, or a single layer with transparent pixels....

Dave

PS. As an aside, I understand you may be forced into it, but generally opening a jpeg and resaving is not the best idea due to the cumulative impact of jpeg lossy compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appercate that but in my line of work these are simple jpg images, nothing fancy. I have been doing post like this for years. Open Edit Save not Open Edit then flatten your jpg and then save? I dunno I will figure it out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's working fine now, I have no idea what caused that to happen, I think it could be some sort of software issue or something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem has been fixed, the box "delete cropped pixels" wasn't checked for some reason, don't know how that happened, operator error I guess. thanks for all the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems and I cannot solve it,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem but "the delete cropped pixels"was checked..... This is driving me crazy. Only a completely flattened image can be safed to JPG. Why is this. I only get the PSD, TIFF and PSB options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why is this"

Since version 22.4, if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave! Thought i was going crazy....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Thought i was going crazy...."

We all feel like that sometimes 🙂  You're welcome!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of a few days ago (today is 5/22/21) I now have the same issue with a slightly different twist. I have PS Version 22.4.1. When I upload a photo from my camera, I drag the photo into Photoshop, do some alterations or crop and I am able to save it to JPG. (The "delete pixels" is checked and the "Enable Cropped Shield" is disabled) But now (and this is a new thing that just happened) when I add my watermark, when I go to save, I only have the option to save it either as a PSD, Large Document or TIFF. This only happens add a watermark. I used to be able to add a watermark and still save to JPG. I don't want the photo to be saved as a copy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you add your watermark, presumably you are adding a layer. At that point your document cannot be preserved in a jpeg so that format appears in Save a Copy.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you add your watermark, presumably you are adding a layer. At that point your document cannot be preserved in a jpeg so that format appears in Save a Copy. Dave"

Thank you, Dave. I have three more questions:  #1. I underestand that I am adding a layer by adding my watermark, but what I don't understand is why using my watermark is no longer supported as a jpeg - why change it?  #2.  If I add my watermark and save it using any of the choices I mentioned above (PSD, Large Document or TIFF) does this take up an enormous amount of "space" on my computer?  Plus if I save as a PSD, I'm not liking that I cannot see the photo on my laptop- I just see a large Icon that has the letters "PSD" on it.......#3. If I add my watermark and Save as a Copy is the photo quality affected?  Thanks for your patience.  Donna 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I underestand that I am adding a layer by adding my watermark, but what I don't understand is why using my watermark is no longer supported as a jpeg

By @Summerlee340

The answer is embedded in the question. It is no longer supported as jpeg because the watermark is a layer. Layers are not allowed in the jpeg file format specification.

Jpeg as a format has two major problems: One, it is extremely limited in terms of what it supports. And two, which is more serious: it uses destructive data compression that is irreversible and cumulative. Every time you resave a jpeg, it is degraded a little further, and after a number of resaves the file is destroyed. There's no way to recover it. 

There is only one advantage to jpeg: it is incredibly effective in reducing file size (storage and transfer size). That's why it's still widely used, in spite of the serious drawbacks.

For these reasons, jpeg should only be used as a final delivery format, saved out exactly once at the very end of the process, not to be worked on any further. For your archive, use PSD or TIFF. File sizes will be larger, but they preserve all your work in full quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem with questions. That's why we come here 🙂

1. Jpeg never did support additional layers. The conversion to a flattened version used to happen in the background in Save As but now happens in Save a Copy.

2.Yes TIFF and PSD result in larger files but they do not remove your layers or destructively compress your image data.

3. Save a Copy to jpeg does not hurt your image quality any more than Save As to jpeg used to.

For best image quality - Save your edits complete with layers to PSD or TIFF. Then if you need to use jpeg to reduce file size for sending onward, use Save a Copy or Export As to produce that jpeg.

Dave

Edit - Sorry Dag you posted while I was typing. We said the same thing though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines