• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Photoshop not open this EPS file (while Illustrator does)?

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2018, Windows

File I try to open is attached (436800.eps)

I would like to attach this file here, this is not possible? So please ask me for the file.

This is the error message shown; when I open same file in Illustrator, it opens without a problem.

Mod Edit: Personal email address removed

Patrick.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi Patrick,

Sorry that you're getting an error message "Could not complete your request because Photoshop was unable to parse the postscript". while opening a . .EPS file in Photoshop.

Could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop CC you're using?

I'd recommend that you take a look at the discussion below and let us know if that helps:

Error: could not complete your request because photoshop was unable to parse the postscript

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

Sorry that you're getting an error message "Could not complete your request because Photoshop was unable to parse the postscript". while opening a . .EPS file in Photoshop.

Could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop CC you're using?

I'd recommend that you take a look at the discussion below and let us know if that helps:

Error: could not complete your request because photoshop was unable to parse the postscript

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will read this discussion,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think sharng the file like this should work?

WeTransfer

I read the other issue, I cannot find a solution for my problem.

The EPS I want to open is created using another program than Photoshop or illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I was able to open it in Illustrator and then save as .ai file and then open it in Photoshop

Untitled1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. But the question is, the probem i have is: I want to be able to open the EPS in Photoshop directly; I know this should be possible with vector EPS files; I want to understand why this file cannot. What exactly causes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was the eps created exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This EPS is direct output from a mapping tool Maps4News.

So i am so very curious what in this file prevents Photoshop to open, as I would expect if Illustrator can, Photoshop should be able as well..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked out the eps in Illustrator with View > Outline?

Seems to contain peculiar elements that Illustrator itself does not unpack properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what could be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Legacy text« it seems or don’t you get the alert when you open the eps in Illustrator?

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 15.14.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get that alert when opening in Illustrator+ that is no problem at all, just Update and it works well+ so Photoshop could also just do the same, isn´t it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop could also just do the same, isn´t it?

Photoshop is primarily pixel oriented and Illustrator vector oriented so certain differences do not seem surprising to me.

What ere the output options of the application »Maps4News«?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand about the differences, however, it should be possible in my opinion to have Maps4News adjust the EPS output to let photoshop accept it: any idea?
Exporting to PDF from Maps4News works well..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand about the differences, however, it should be possible in my opinion to have Maps4News adjust the EPS output to let photoshop accept it: any idea?

Does the application provide any changeable settings for exporting eps?

Otherwise you may be better off sticking with pdf.

This is not the biggest problem for me at this moment however.

Certainly does not seem a big issue in this example but

• under certain circumstances it might conceivably cause text overlap

• it shows that Illustrator »takes some liberties« when converting the eps, so the operation might be less straightforward than one would hope for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no options for exporting EPS else than rgb/cmyk.

PDF works fine as I said, however I want EPS to be working well. I want to inform the ones developing this so they cnan adjust their EPS code so Photoshop can open correctly.

Any idea who else I can contact to analyse this EPS?

Thanks for the reply to text changes, possible overlap etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try posting over at

Photoshop Family Customer Community

and maybe an Adobe employee will chime in and be able to check out the eps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but posting there, isn't that exactly the same as where I started this post you reply to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

EPS is an outdated file format and support for it has been dropped by Adobe, you could post a link to this thread in the community forum suggested by pfaffenbichler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can imagine it is outdated, however, what filetype then should other programs use to have it opened in adobe well: also the (Illustrator) parsers for SVG and PDF work quite bad from time to time, is our experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can reliably reproduce faulty conversion results for svg and/or pdf files in Illustrator please post a report at

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Don’t expect feedback but the issue would be officially entered and, well, it might be addressed in some future release or it might never be addressed …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is a user Forum, feedback.photoshop.com is the officially monitored place for Photoshop Feature Requests and Bug Reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear, thanks, now clicking on this link indeed shows a different site. Aleardy had chat contact with support of Adobe as well, so hopefully they will be able to further analyse this postscript that prevents photoshop from opening it well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do get that alert when opening in Illustrator+ that is no problem at all

Have you bothered comparing the file with updated and non-updated type?

It does seem to make a difference (overlaid at 50% [corrected] in below screenshot).

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 16.11.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this input; This is not the biggest problem for me at this moment however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines