• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does screengrab look different when posted into Photoshop?

Engaged ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does the color change when I paste a screengrab into Photoshop? On the attached photo, I screengrabbed someone's picture in Facebook. I then pasted it into a new Photoshop document. The skin tone is clearly warmer in the pasted version. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Assign your monitor profile, then convert to a standard color space like sRGB.

Then it will match how it originally appears.

Screenshots are in monitor color space, not the original document color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

@scotwllm wrote:

...I screengrabbed someone's picture in Facebook. I then pasted it into a new Photoshop document.. 

Is it any different if instead of pasting, you:

• tap the image to enlarge it
  • click the three dots to open the menu
  • save the image
  • open the saved image in PS?

A0312553-B7F2-464E-9439-178335B0BE6A.jpeg

There may or may not be an embedded profile in the original image.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the source isn't color managed, I'll bet and Photoshop is; what are the color settings used for pasting in PS, did the original image have an embedded profile? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Photoshop tells you that the image does not have a color profile, hence the hashtag in its titlebar: http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-pound-sign-asterik-title-bar.html
I would try to assign First your monitor profile, then convert to color profile such as sRGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to give you a correct answer credit for answering my next question before I asked it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blue!

just kidding.

moderators, Adobe staff, and experts can tag/untag correct answers.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assign your monitor profile, then convert to a standard color space like sRGB.

Then it will match how it originally appears.

Screenshots are in monitor color space, not the original document color space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mark this as the correct answer. I thought I get to choose. I chose jane-e's answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @scotwllm 

There could be multiple good answers, the idea of a forum is that one's question can benefit others...

D Fosse's (or mine, it was the same idea) stated how to correct the very problem you had via color management, while Jane's provided a different workflow, that worked in your case.

Say that have the file that you screenshot during an unrecorded family live event, there was no way for you to extract it again the proper way, but it is possible to fix the colors via color management.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that it's my prerogative to choose the best answer to my question. For whatever reason, someone came along and decided their answer is the best. Sometimes the "best" answer encompasses more than the specific question asked. It can be about how the responders answered prior questions as well. Case in point, there was one "expert" who was rude to the point I asked him not to respond to my questions, but he did anyway. Even if he was right, how he answered the question was incorrect and unworthy of receiving credit for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that it's my prerogative to choose the best answer to my question. 

By @scotwllm

And you did select it, right so what's the problem? 

Others can select the right answer as well. That's how these forums work.  

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Others can select the right answer as well. That's how these forums work."

That's news to me. When did that rule change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Others can select the right answer as well. That's how these forums work."

That's news to me. When did that rule change?

By @scotwllm

There is no such rule. Which, of course, is why, all over these forums, if you look, you'll find multiple correct answers. As was the case here (virtually every answer you got provides the same and correct answer). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scotwllm wrote:

Case in point, there was one "expert" who was rude to the point I asked him not to respond to my questions, but he did anyway.

Rude behavior does not meet the forum guidelines. I don't see any rude behavior here, but there is a Report button at the bottom of each message. Staff will look at messages that are reported and make a decision, as some reports are false. They don't tell us anything about their decisions.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case in point, there was one "expert" who was rude to the point I asked him not to respond to my questions, but he did anyway.

By @scotwllm

I don't see any rude behavior here, but there is a Report button at the bottom of each message. 

Jane

By @jane-e

I don't see it either, nor anywhere the OP asked him/her not to respond to his questions. Everyone who replied to help is a community expert, and any of their replies could be marked as correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There wasn't any rude behavior this time.  I did complain a few times using the Report button about the "expert" I mentioned and I haven't seen anything from him in quite a while now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scotwllm wrote:

...I screengrabbed someone's picture in Facebook. I then pasted it into a new Photoshop document.. 

Is it any different if instead of pasting, you:

• tap the image to enlarge it
  • click the three dots to open the menu
  • save the image
  • open the saved image in PS?

A0312553-B7F2-464E-9439-178335B0BE6A.jpeg

There may or may not be an embedded profile in the original image.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Thanks Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @scotwllm. Happy to help.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @scotwllm, It's not a Photoshop error. It's a color setting within your monitor or screengrab tool. See my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines