Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Why is the window too small when I open a file in Photoshop now (screenshot)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop on mac OS Catalina. After the last update (v 22.5, installed 8 days ago), every time I open a file in Photoshop, the window view is too small for the image, as shown in the screenshot. The windows open in random sizes at various zoom levels. How can this be fixed so that files open normally? Really hoping it's a simple thing that I'm overlooking. I often work in Photoshop all day and have to open many, many files. It gets very frustrating having to resize every window or click on the stupid green dot to see the whole image every time I open a file. Thank you for reading my rant and for any suggestions anyone may have.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021
Hello, does it also happen if you enable the application frame and restart? As a workaround, you could try to setup an action with a "enter menu item" for "fit to screen" and launch it automatically for "new documents" or "open documents" using the script events manager: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scripting.html

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, does it also happen if you enable the application frame and restart?

As a workaround, you could try to setup an action with a "enter menu item" for "fit to screen" and launch it automatically for "new documents" or "open documents" using the script events manager: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scripting.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourtejoie -- sadly, it continued to happen when I set the application frame. I was thinking I was overlooking a Preferences setting, or didn't have the righ menu item checked/unchecked. But your suggestion of using the Script Events Manager was spot on. At first I was confused by the instructions on that page and thought I'd have to write JavaScript (I don't know how to write JavaScript), but then I saw the screenshots here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/fit-on-screen-automatically-in-photoshop/m-p/1057...  I made one adjustment -- when I recorded the action, I inserted the Zoom Out menu item instead of Fit on Screen to get a good window size. Thank you so much for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it looks like you have better search mojo than I did... very good work, I hope that you learned stuff along the way.

Yes, I wish the helpx page had an anchor to start at the SEM level directly.

I hope that you are all set!

Ciao, happy photoshop use!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I most certainly did learn stuff! Funny, I've used Photoshop since Adobe released it and never went into the SEM before. Hoping I won't have to use it for something weird like this again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting the photoshop preferences by going to Photoshop>Preferences>General, clicking on Reset Preferences On Quit, then restarting photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue after the last update. I have reset my preferences, restarted, etc and the issue still persists. I can set up a script for this, but this is definitelty a new bug in the most recent update. Is there any way to actually fix this issue, or can we expect a bug patch in the next update?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a screen shot of the whole photoshop interface and give the specs of your mac?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Arola @PECourtejoie After troubleshooting this issue a bit more, I believe I've identified the issue that is happening here.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-2021-documents-opening-in-s...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My setup is similar to yours — I have a 2017 Macbook Pro with retina display with an ASUS ProArt external display attached (the ASUS display is new but non-retina). I tried opening some Photoshop files on my Macbook Pro display instead, and sure enough, the windows opened at the correct size.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this looks like a bug in 22.5

I re-installed 22.4.3 and it works, so Adobe please fix this. 😉

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, when I have Photoshop on my laptop's external monitor the image window is smaller and does not show the entire view of the image. When I use Photoshop on my MacBook Pro 2018 with Retina dispaly, then it opens the file as expected, zoom size is correct and window size fits the zoom. Very frustrating and I wasted much time resetting prefs, uninstalling, reinstalling, reloading actions, workspaces, scripts, etc. And nothing worked to correct the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. iMac Pro running the latest version of everything. Photos open up in a window about half the size of the original file. The frame is anchored top left so it effectively crops the right side and bottom.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.5.1 did not fix it. So still working with 22.4.3...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines