• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why no perceptual merging of layers?

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press Ctrl+E the default behaviour I want to see is a perceptual merge. I want to see the thing in front of me get merged with the thing below, with NO CHANGES.

[text edited by Moderator]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

If your not looking at the image at 100% (actual pixels) then your liable not to see the true results of the merge since photoshop uses interpolation at all views other than 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your not looking at the image at 100% (actual pixels) then your liable not to see the true results of the merge since photoshop uses interpolation at all views other than 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all what I'm talking about. Unless you merge layers carefully, Photoshop will never do it right. It will combine layer modes into garbage instead of collapsing the actual presentation of what you see in front of you on to the desired layer. There's no command key to make this happen, Screen on top of Vivid on top of Normal / etc? Merge the Screen and Vivid. Boom, Photoshop it wrong, the layers are merged with no intelligence. This catches every user off guard at some point, and it becomes a serious problem when you're 30 layers in and basically need to stamp the entire image and start over.

But look, twice now you deleted text because it made someone uncomfortable, and yet managed to get yourself two updoots? People have complained about this for ages and worked around it by avoiding layers. I'm surprised you didn't outright edit my response to suit your "whoosh" answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and/or worked around it by collapsing the entire image. This has nothing to do with resolution / zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Take three layers -- Screen, Vivid Light, and Normal. Merge the screen with Vivid. Photoshop doesn't merge these with any intelligence and there's no magic hotkey to get it to work right. This isn't acceptable program behaviour.

I just replied to myself and my original reply was deleted? Is this a bug or is someone actively sitting here wiping things out at 3:00am? Oh, come on, even Microsoft isn't like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines