Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Why Photoshop don't open video files anymore?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of those designers who made .mov archives with stop motion and edited videos in Photoshop, and I'm curious what the next step is now that Adobe won't let us open videos in Photoshop anymore, we'll them provide us with guides and solutions on the subject ? maybe it's something that Photoshop will fix in the next update or we just have to find my own solutions on it?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using an Apple Silicon Mac, looks like the video support code is not yet available for Apple Silicon according to the Adobe help article Photoshop for Apple Silicon.

If the above is the cause, you can still use the video features if you restart Photoshop in the Rosetta translation environment, which will run the Intel version of Photoshop.  There are two ways to do that, so pick one:

• In the Creative Cloud app under All Apps, click the ellipsis menu (…) for Photoshop and choose Open (Intel). 
  • In the macOS Finder, select the Photoshop application icon, choose File > Get Info, enable Open in Rosetta, and start Photoshop. If you use this method, it will always open in Rosetta until you switch it back. 

At some point Adobe might get that video support ported to Apple Silicon; when that happens we probably won’t have to do this switch any more.

Creative-Cloud-open-Photoshop-Apple-Silicon-as-Intel.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Conrad. I tried both options with no success. What i'm doing wrong? There is some plugin for Photoshop that can help?Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 1.05.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-21 at 1.02.58 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I may have made an incorrect assumption about your system. What model of Mac are you using, and especially, does it have an Intel or Apple Silicon processor?

And also, about the .mov video file you are trying to open: Does it open easily in another application, such as Apple QuickTime Player?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another question: Since you mentioned “.mov archives,” how many years old are the video files you are trying to open? This is an important question because Apple has dropped support for some old QuickTime formats.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines