• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why [removed] does photoshop keep rolling out updates!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SICK of being advised to check and work arounds in my system. Adobe I can honestly say ... it's YOU NOT ME. I cannot tell you how many hours I've lost since March with this utter crap! Time is money. Im going to start sending you a bill for it. The thing is nearly unusable with the crashes and the weird disapearing workspace and the lags...I could keep going on but I think you get it. Fix the [removed by moderator] thing and test it before rolling stuff out! I don't want new enhancements that are useless if I can't work for 10 minutes before it crashes again. The autosaves can't even keep up with it. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

@assbite wrote:

I don't want new enhancements that are useless if I can't work for 10 minutes before it crashes again. 

If you installed 23.4, see this announcement from Pete Green on how to roll back to 23.3.2.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/roll-back-photoshop-23-4-to-23-3-2/idi-p/13005573

With other versions, it might be due to older hardware, but you can keep or roll back to a version that works with your system.

In the Creative Cloud app:

• turn off automatic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that more thorough testing before release of software would save users countless hours of frustration and lost time.

In the old days, Adobe had new releases about once a year, and the releases were meticulously tested. That was before subscription.

With subscription it is much easier and less expensive for Adobe to release updates. In fact, frequent updates were presented as a benefit to users -- not having to wait a whole year for new features.

But you don't have to update. To avoid bugs I usually wait at least several weeks before updating to the latest and greatest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not gonna truly avoid the hundreds of bugs upon bugs, but depending on the kind of work you do and hardware, you can get lucky. I am not too bothered by v23.3.1, for example, although I know it has dozens (hundreds) of bugs and I find new ones every day or week.

The shameful bug that everyone still has to look at every day is adjustment layers often not getting their correct icon, but the generic one.

Photoshop_C8pvOURaRO.jpg

IMO, they really only need 20 to 80 testers that each use the new build for a few hours and related to a specific interest of theirs, so all features get a few run-throughs.

Let's say you pay these people $50/hour, that's $8,000 max. (the better these people are, the less you'll need, and some may do it for free).

This could help prevent the screwing up of countless people's whole day (or more), including their own employers! And downloads cost them money too, but the worst one is loss of good reputation (if they've ever had it?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you're making the common mistake of assuming what you see is what everybody sees. For instance, since that is the one you pull up! I have never, ever, seen a generic adjustment layer icon. Nor have I heard of it elsewhere for that matter.

So no, it wouldn't take 20 to 80 testers. It would take 2000 - 8000 to catch the common ones, much more to catch the really rare ones.

As I said elsewhere, a bug is something that happens to some of the people some of the time.

That is obviously true of this one as well, since I (or Dave) couldn't replicate it - but they decided to pull 23.4 because the consequences for those few that were affected, were pretty serious.

Not saying everything is perfect. But let's keep perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now you're making the common mistake of assuming what you see is what everybody sees."

> The assumptions here are all yours! And as it happens more often than not, it's you who are supposing everyone else sees what you have in your magic version of PS 😉

-

" I have never, ever, seen a generic adjustment layer icon. "

> This just means you have become completely blind to it 😄  It's been like this "forever" and you can see it on countless YouTube videos of anyone using PS. I have recently changed from Win 7 to Win 10 and through different PS versions, nothing has changed in this regard. It's very "fun" when you run a huge action and all your adjustment layers have this icon... It's always "fun" hoping if it will get it right. Seriously, look at people's layer panels next time you watch a PS video. Boy, are you in for a surprise! It happens almost every time.

-

"So no, it wouldn't take 20 to 80 testers. It would take 2000 - 8000 to catch the common ones"

> Can't agree for the common ones at all. These are bugs almost all testers would find. The very common things most of us use every day, yet still often get released with bugs, as if no one even tested it for 5 mins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse: "Nor have I heard of it elsewhere for that matter."

> I've mentioned it once or twice in the old forum a few years ago. I once made a special thread for it. The reply was... crickets — yet you see it in almost every YouTube video.

The generic icon should never even appear on the layers panel. AFAIK, it is not the icon of any adjustment layer. I should make a new thread, "The Most Shameful Bug," and your "observation" would prove how blind people have become to it 🙂  If I was Adobe's competition, I'd have fun over this every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just means you have become completely blind to it

By @Signfeld

Do you realize that you just proved my point? I rest my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Abuse removed by moderator]

My point is you can see any (big) name doing video demos with that generic icon in their layer panel (for who knows how many years back). Too easy to prove. Yet you wanna force your opinion that it's mostly just me... That is the heart of the matter (and that you are actually guilty of your own accusations).

[ Personal attacks on users are [not] allowed in this forum. ]

(Edited)

4AA40D67-8B70-4342-90FE-91088F4C3A99.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

msedge_DS17wewhjZ.jpg

"ARE allowed..."

There must be a general blindness virus going around...

But sure, keep shooting the messenger.

[ Thank you! -- correction has been made. (Moderator) ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Signfeld wrote:

they really only need 20 to 80 testers that each use the new build for a few hours and related to a specific interest of theirs, so all features get a few run-throughs.

There is a beta version of Photoshop that can be installed in addition to the public version and Adobe would like more people to join the beta program. This critical bug was not picked up by the beta testers.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-beta.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There is a beta version of Photoshop"...

> I might not mind playing with that in parallel if they actually listened to my bug reports (and corrected them), w/o me having to hear the common advice every time... OTOH, I've lost too much of my life on Adobe as it is.
-

I think I have reported around five bugs in actions alone (several confirmed), probably none of which have been corrected (maybe one, by accident). It's worse if these are pretty easy to fix often, but they always have other priorities, it seems...
-
I also suspect this is a beta for things further ahead; not the version that will be released next. It's impossible what kinds of bugs get through now. It completely feels like they make a huge gamble adding all code together, hoping it won't have too much obvious bugs, then don't even test it for 10 mins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

latest Photoshop 23.4.0 works smoothly without any crash or lag. What is problem on your machine? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bojan , there is a critical issue abou GPU acceleration, Adobe advises to roll back to 23.3.2: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/roll-back-photoshop-23-4-to-23-3-2/idi-p/130...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so far I do not see any problem with latest release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seen any problems either, and it was in constant use for 7 hours straight yesterday after updating. I'll see how it behaves today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what happens to me if I duplicate the layer a few times, make a selection with the lasso tool, hit ctrl + t and right click and select warp, warp the selection and I get this, only happens with GPU compositing enabled, I can replicate on both my work and home PC, PS 23.4

2022-06-16 08_15_18-AdobeStock_107163759.jpeg @ 25% (Layer 1 copy, RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing here, I also tried a duplicate layers/select/warp operation as above.

But of course, the very definition of a bug is that only hits some people some of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

But of course, the very definition of a bug is that only hits some people some of the time.

This one is being called a "critical issue". See the link I posted earlier in this thread. 😮

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, done. Uninstalled 23.4 and reinstalled 23.3.2.

It seems they have actually pulled 23.4 from the CC app as well, so it must be serious this time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't replicate the issue on my system either but rolled back regardless when I saw Adobe's post.

As for the original poster - turn off auto-updates in the CC app and choose when you update. Check the release notes and forums before doing so.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that was fast - it's only an hour since I uninstalled 23.4.0 😉

The next time someone claims Photoshop corrupts their files, I'll point to this. If they find a real issue, they drop everything to get a fix out immediately. Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Adobe have removed the GPU compositing option in advanced settings

2022-06-16 15_37_49-Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed they have. Probably back to the drawing board, it'll no doubt come back later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are uninstalling because someone else says so

Also, learn the difference between bugs and critical bugs.

[ Personal attacks on users are not allowed in this forum. ]

4AA40D67-8B70-4342-90FE-91088F4C3A99.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines