• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why [removed] does photoshop keep rolling out updates!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SICK of being advised to check and work arounds in my system. Adobe I can honestly say ... it's YOU NOT ME. I cannot tell you how many hours I've lost since March with this utter crap! Time is money. Im going to start sending you a bill for it. The thing is nearly unusable with the crashes and the weird disapearing workspace and the lags...I could keep going on but I think you get it. Fix the [removed by moderator] thing and test it before rolling stuff out! I don't want new enhancements that are useless if I can't work for 10 minutes before it crashes again. The autosaves can't even keep up with it. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

@assbite wrote:

I don't want new enhancements that are useless if I can't work for 10 minutes before it crashes again. 

If you installed 23.4, see this announcement from Pete Green on how to roll back to 23.3.2.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/roll-back-photoshop-23-4-to-23-3-2/idi-p/13005573

With other versions, it might be due to older hardware, but you can keep or roll back to a version that works with your system.

In the Creative Cloud app:

• turn off automatic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Signfeld one sees the generic icon when the layer is very shallow and long, and there's not enough room to show the proper icon.

@D Fosse Create a 16x2cm document, add an adjustment layer

resize to 16x20, and you get the proper icon, as the layer representation gets taller in the layer panel

I do not see why it the layer thumbnail has to scale when the ratio is different, it does not change to an even taller style if you make a 2x16cm document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that it? That's not a bug, that's just how it works. If you want to call it bad UI design be my guest, but I honestly think there are more important things to get all worked up about. Actually I knew about that, but I haven't used those thin formats in a long time, so I forgot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I use my eyes, I can't agree. The example I pasted was simply a Curves adjustment layer with the name "Curves 1." So AFAIK there is no size involved here, nor is the layer name long. Just keep your eyes on people's layer palettes and you'll start to see. I'll gather more "famous examples" for a later thread maybe. Not that it has any use, no one sees it. It's just the both of us 😉
I only expect a fix when Adobe takes a three-year pause to rebuild PS from the ground up.

-

Even *if* you are somehow right, it's still a terrible decision. People have no issue with scrolling. Many have a layers palette that is not very high. What is a problem is if some action throws down 20–30 adjustment layers with a generic icon 😞 (The former FineArt actions are one example.) It seems to "depend on the day" whether that will happen or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested your example and that is cool to know, thanks.

As I almost never work on banner like images, my claim then becomes that it also happens in many other cases, or PS is getting confused and messes up its decision.

I mostly work in the same workspace on similarly sized portrait or landscape images, and it feels like it's doing it randomly. You can also see it on YouTube where people are working on "normal" images.

Anyway, good to hear someone finally sees the icon 😉 It doesn't exist, you know...
(BTW, I always use the smallest thumbnails in the layer palette)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested further and it's (indeed) aspect ratio related. Even the (here) common 3:2 crop already causes this to happen, which probably explains why I've seen it so often here and on YouTube.

It is "solved" by not picking the smallest thumbs for your layer palette, but if you then define a wider banner like image, it will happen again and you have to enlarge your thumbs again.

This explains the whole thing probably, but I will keep an eye out for possible exceptions where PS gets confused.

I think esp. with 4K+ screens there is no need for this, and they could display useful icons at small size. As I use HD, I'll live with it and its "solution."

Thanks again for the great hint, PEC.

If you could set thumb size by action or script, it would be a great event script for me, but ScriptListener does not make me hopeful. At least you can have the Layer Panel Options open by action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see why users of images with an horizontal layout need/deserve to see more layers than creators of portrait images, maybe someone thought why not make those layers thinner, but than, why not make that option available to everyone? But I'd 100% to hear that engineering time is spent on fully customizable shortcuts in a premiere pro KBSC editor than a cosmetic fix for an icon that has its name after...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@assbite wrote:

I don't want new enhancements that are useless if I can't work for 10 minutes before it crashes again. 

If you installed 23.4, see this announcement from Pete Green on how to roll back to 23.3.2.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/roll-back-photoshop-23-4-to-23-3-2/idi-p/130...

With other versions, it might be due to older hardware, but you can keep or roll back to a version that works with your system.

In the Creative Cloud app:

• turn off automatic updates for applications
  • roll back to previous versions
  • you can have multiple versions installed, but not the dot releases: 20.0. 21.4, and 22.3, but not 22.1, 22.2. 22.3.
  • there is a checkbox to keep (or uninstall) previous versions

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im conceding defeat. Since March I have lost so many hours of work and work arounds that dont work. EVERY time I log in something is wrong or going wrong. Lost a day of work because nothing auto saved although everything was checked correctly to do so and had previously been working with no changes. I am just so sick of crashes and tools lagging and just unable to reliably work. Hours spent solving problems that I shouldnt need to solve. I give up. Months of [removed]. Its not worth it. Nothing gets fixed. Even rolling back nothing works the way it used to. Probably from all the "hacks" Ive put my computer through. I quit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if you don't like the updates, WHY DO YOU KEEP INSTALLING THEM? I only update every few years, in parallel with the old to allow prolonged testing. Except for Acrobat, which doesn't allow that - don't get me started...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because every time you hope, "Surely it can't get any worse than this!??" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep. After nearly 20 years, I've finally had it with Photoshop and all Adobe products. They know they're the big dog.... and no longer really care about artists. They have to keep their investors happy with steady income through subscriptions. 
The base code of all Adobe products is out of date, so everything is completely bloated. They just keep throwing new [cursing removed] on top and calling it "new features" to keep the subscriber base satiated. It just looks good on paper and in their Annual Report.
The problem is that now my workspace doesn't open correctly, it takes Photoshop forever to fully launch, functionalities change with no notice (which freaks me out) and so on and so on. 
It's basically a nightmare now.
The CEO is first and foremost a businessman with no creative experience, so he doesn't care about artists, just the investors.
That's why I've switched to Resolve for my video editing, and will soon switch to Affinity for my graphics. I'm also going to find a Lightroom alternative and get out of Adobe [cursing removed].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines