• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 11 Alt-tab is a pain with multiple images open in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Having just upgraded to Windows 11 from XP (don't laugh!),  I'm finding it too difficult to use alt-tab to switch between open apps when I have lots of images open in Photoshop. Previously: let's say I'm in Photoshop. I had just been in notepad, and I want to pop back there. I click alt-tab, it takes 1/5 of a second, and there I am, back in notepad. In the window that pops up when you press alt-tab, there is *one* instance of Photoshop, *one* instance of each app that is open.

But now, the alt-tab popup shows an instance of Photoshop for *every* image that is currently open within Photoshop, so I can't just snap alt-tab and go back to notebook--rather, I have to click through all the Photoshops to get there, which takes so long as to make alt-tab useless for switching between aps. I've attached an image of what the alt-tab window looks like when Photoshop has many images open. 

So the question: is there a setting, or a registry thingie, that I'm missing, that can make it so alt-tab takes me *just back and forth from Photoshop*, and doesn't consider every image its own destination?

Sure hope I explained that well enough!

/SD

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This upgrade must be a giant leap for you. I'll try to clarify this for you. This ALT+ Tab behavior has been Microsoft Explorer's way of interpreting Tab instances since Windows 10. I've seen discussions about this on other non-adobe forums too.

You can try Win + Tab instead of ALT + Tab or try this in Photoshop:

• Window > Arrange > Consolidate All to tabs
  • Try ALT + Tab now & Windows Explorer should not count each open document as a separate task.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sameer,

Totally works! However, I can't stand having images in tabs, I like them all floating in their windows, all the time. I don't use tabs at all. Is there *still* a way to fix this? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  I agree.  Please tell me how I can work with images not in tabs and not have them littering my alt-tab previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Scott, This is exactly precisely the question I have, and no, I haven't found a solution yet. I'm surprised more people aren't asking it! -Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Scott28945005d3ag. Welcome to the Photoshop Community. This is related to how Microsoft treats tab instances. I have the same workflow.

Maybe creating a help request on Microsoft forums can provide deeper insight into customizing how Explorer works.

There are many experimental steps & tutorials, but, Adobe has not tested or verified these steps. Please try them at your own risk.

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from CS3 because I had to update my computer to Windows 11 and CS3 would not run anymore. 

I have to say that the tabs are driving me nuts!  Typically I drag and drop a bunch of files at once to work with.  I move lawyers around by dragging and dropping from the layers to on top of an other image.  I end up with 100 previews in alt-tab.  It is infuriating!

Also when I drag antoher image into PS, it opens it in a tab behind everything.  I'm like, where is it? 

Frankly, I was perfectly happy in CS3.  It's very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol...  "layers", not "lawyers"....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly, Windows does what it's told by Photoshop. PS specifically requests those image windows to be shown as separate on Alt+Tab. As you can see, this does not happen with Toolbar palettes, for example.
Obviously, someone at Adobe decided this is the best way...
I guess, you can fill a bug repot with Adobe, good luck with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines