• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows always open up in the top left of the screen

Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason in Photoshop whenever I use the Open command, Save command, anything that opens up a new window, it will open up in the top left corner of the screen. I have moved the window into the middle of the screen over and over again and yet when I reopen photoshop it will always default to the top left again. It's really annoying and I'm not sure how to fix it. I attached a screenshot of what I'm talking abouttopleft.jpg

As you can see in the image, the new window locks to the top left and no matter how many times I move it to a different location it always ends up back there again when opening a new window. Any idea on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspicion is that it's a Windows setting about how new windows are to open.

Take a look in Control Panel | Files and Folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked into that and didn't fix the problem, this has to be a bug with photoshop. Is there any way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open and Save are operating system dialogs.

I just checked, and here they consistently open wherever they were last closed, and they do so in all Adobe applications including Photoshop.

So no Photoshop bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try closing photoshop and do it again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did. Still opens wherever last closed, which in this case was bottom right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea why this keeps happening for me then, it keeps going back to

the top left when I drag it to the middle where i want it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Windows, that's where you need to look. Not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Im looking at photoshop because its literally the only app I use that does this. Every other app on windows saves the settings where I put my windows, photoshop doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to right-click and "Run As Administrator" next time you open Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok its working right now, if it starts happening again Im going to try catch what I did so I can post here. It's keeping the position of where I put the window right now but I could see it defaulting back to top left again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok it just happened when I went to save as and the dialog popped up in the top left corner again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been running photoshop in administrator for a while now and it started doing the top left snapping again for open windows. Any ideas on why its happening? I still dont think its windows because it doesn't happen in any other program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Photoshop's preferences file. That restores the application to brand-new factory state.

If that fixes it, I agree it's Photoshop (but it doesn't happen on either of my two systems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you open photoshop and hit control + O, the open dialog opens in the center of the screen and not the top left? I've tried resetting photoshop preferences in the past as well and didn't fix it. What machines are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens just as I described in posts # 3 and 5 - it opens wherever I last closed it. One i7 running Win 10 pro, another i7 running Win 7 pro.

As I said, the open dialog is an operating system dialog. It comes up because Photoshop requests it from the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i need to figure out how my setup is different than yours then with windows, i dont have any ideas right now on what i could have changed that would cause this to happen and it happens on my computer at home as well as work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

finally found out why its locking to the top left. there is a bug with save for web that makes the window do this after you use that command. I opened up photoshop, window was in the top left. I moved it to the center and then opened a bunch of files. things were working fine and the window stayed where I put it. Then I tried save for web, and immediately the window locked to the top left again, so this is a photoshop bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. You're absolutely right. Save For Web does just that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont know what happened to the old bug report system, does that exist anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is almost 2 years later yet I have this issue with every Adobe tool I use on my Windows 10 (10.0.18363) workstation. For me, the most often used are Premiere Pro and After Effects. Each new version of these will have this behavior of opening windows and panels in the upperleft which feels problmatic in terms of aestethic workflow if you will. My solution is: I move the window to where I would like it, then close that window by clicking the upper right corner X, then open same window again by "import" or whatever command I used to get it the first time, now the window will always open in this new spot. Yet these are also separate for each command or origination point that utilizies a panel (AE - pc), an explorer window and will have to be "re-defaulted". The reason I found this thread is because I would like to find a way to tell the Adobe app the default way or position I would like Adobe to open up explorer windows so I do not have to repeat these steps for every new version of every Adobe app I run on my PC workstation. I use a Mac as my mobile editing and teaching device and this behavior does not occur on Mac. Or at least not on the mbp 2018 (model 15,1 osx 10.14.6) that I am using. Thanks for letting me share...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also coming in late, but just ran into this issue and found the solution on another Adobe page.  The culprit is a buried XML file...  Check this out:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/dialog-box-always-in-corner/td-p/9319094?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same issue 3 years later where the windows stick to the top left corner of the screen when opening. It only occurs when opening files in Photoshop. Has anybody been able to fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December 2022 and still happening to me. Running on Mac M1. Same issue 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for a similar issue in Premiere.  Tutorial is Window's based, but there's links for Mac too.
https://www.bettereditor.be/how-to-fix-premiere-pro-pop-ups/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines