• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would a copy of Photoshop CS4 still activate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm one of those people that still uses a really old Mac(a 2006 Mac Pro) because it does everything I need it to do and I do some photo editing with GIMP but I'm thinking of upgrading to a copy of photoshop because it's more powerful and I have looked at some info and it seems CS4 fits my usage criteria and will work on my old mac but 2 things 

1 will it still activate and

2 is it legal for someone to sell a copy of photoshop CS4 on ebay because that's how I'm planning to get a copy  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it is better if you ask the adobe team about on the following link....regards

https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the activation servers are long gone. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Don't know for sure.

2) Don't know for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSM,

Why is the answer to the activation question no?

As far as I know CS, CS2 and CS3 can no longer be activated. CS4, CS5 and CS6 can still be activated.

Or are you referring specifically to the copy of CS4 which the OP is proposing to purchase which is probably pirated and unlikely to be activated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I am incorrect, or better put Wrong. I will edit my post.

I was trying to stop the OP from wasting their money buying software on eBay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe closed the CS4 activation server, so I think not. sadly.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activation servers for CS3 and below have been shut down but as far as I'm aware CS4 and above are still active

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 is still active. However, you are almost certain to get a pirated copy. If you do buy, get an original in-box copy with original Adobe DVD and have the seller do a license transfer to you BEFORE you pay them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The activation servers for CS4 are still available but buying from ebay is highly likely to be an unlicensed copy . Also be aware that CS versions were platform specific i.e. licensed for PC or Mac.

Licences ownership can be transferred to a new owner by following a specific process :

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/x-productkb/policy-pricing/transfer-product-license.html

Personally , I wouldn't risk my money or the security of my PC. Hacked versions often come with free malware.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The activation servers for CS4 are still available but buying from ebay is highly likely to be an unlicensed copy .

By @davescm

Well, I tried to install CS5 on an old Macbook for testing. I wasn't able to activate it. I'm hoping someone from Adobe can chime in here about if or not this is at all possible. The product took my legit serial number but failed on activation.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also be aware that in the future, could be near future, 1+, or in a Few, 2, 3 years, the activation servers for CS4 will also be shut down.

Then if you need to reinstall you will not be able to activate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly where I am right now. Bought a new PC/ migrated the data to my new 4TB M.2 (storage drive) and the data corrupted and wants me to reactivate CS4...

I'm stuck here now with a project in 2022 that I need to do and can't. C'est la vie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 may not even work on a current PC (its way outdated on Mac.) I do have CS5 apps on a Windows 10 Pro computer butwho knows how long that will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and you can't migrate an installation. You would need to reinstall from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acitvation servers for CS 2,3 and 4 have been shutdown

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe provided offline installer for CS2 and CS3. Why don't they do the same with CS4? I find that quite odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer supports any older versions. At some point, you'll have to use a current computer and current CC release because nothing else will be activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supporting a software and making it unusable are two different things. No one expects Adobe to support such an old software. But they should still allow their customers to use the software should they wish. Although Photoshop CS4 is fairly old, it works fine under Win 10. I'm just surprised that Adobe provided offline installer for CS2 and CS3 but not for CS4. Why did they suddenly change their approach?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt you'll get an answer. This ship has long since sailed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe also ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers for CS-CS3.

That ship has not only sailed, it went to the scrapyard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines