• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FR: Enhanced Snap and Stroke using Paths

Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For decades, Photoshop users have used vertical and horizontal guides for layout and alignment. With the advent of Guide Sets, we were able to easily create more complicated layouts to accomodate web and print graphics.

Now it's time we get the next step in creative control: snapping to paths.

Request: Enable an option to allow snapping to paths.

Feature elements

• Allow current objects to snap to designated paths the same as guides
    • These paths should be able to curve and orient to arbitrary angles, and control points on paths should still snap to traditional horizontal and vertical guides
  • Allow transparency bounds for snapping in addition to bounding box edges
    • Align typographic, graphic, and illustrated elements with definite transparency edges
  • Allow anchor points to be relative to the object OR to the canvas by a switch
    • When moved away from the Reference Point Location grid, anchor points switch to canvas (global) reference and do not move along with the transformed object or bounding box
  • Allow brush snapping ALONG paths to enable pressure/tilt/dynamic control
    • This allows for expressive results while maintaining positional precision

This capability enhances creative expression and control, while solving the problems of certain workarounds using selections that perform inadequately. Currently, Photoshop has no native way to manage stroking paths with variable pressure, no way to align to curves or angles, and no way to choose between global and local reference frames for alignment and rotation. All of these capabilities are necessary for a complete digital tool set.

Many other applications allow some kind of arbitrary snapping and alignment beyond horizontal and vertical guides. Photoshop needs to expand user control and options by providing us with novel ways to align objects and control brush strokes.

Please vote and share the link to this feature request!

------------------------------------------------------------
Never let your tools get in the way of your art!
Idea No status
TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You always have great ideas, Scott.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a good idea to me too! Let's Upvote this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be better if we could convert a Path into a Guide first before allowing the snapping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly, and a great thing to point out, Ann! That can all be sorted out once we have Adobe's attention on this FR, though. The request is to enable an option, not to make all paths snappable. There may be other things to consider as well, such as whether to create a special type of path, or to toggle the ability with regular paths, etc. I'd like to get the concept moving before trying to figure out the details.

------------------------------------------------------------
Never let your tools get in the way of your art!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea Scott.  It would be very useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just spent forever trying to see if there was a way in Photoshop to do this and finally ended up here. My main hope is the part about snapping a brush or pencil to a path. It's not enough to just 'stroke' the path because I need to be able to vary my pen pressure as I move along the path in real time. Really hope this gets made; it would be SUCH a game changer for me. Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate