• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I would like to see Adobe testing its sofware on hardware and making tiered suggestions.

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see Adobe testing its sofware on hardware and making tiered suggestions based on performance on an annual basis. As software becomes more powerful the hardware needs to keeep up with it.

I'd like to see suggestions in perhaps three categories low, mid and high budget improvements to overall performance.

I really shouldn't have to run around the entire internet looking at obscure websites for hardware enthusiasts to determine what the best computer is to run Adobe software.

Adobe software is an evolving creative tool. Part of that evolution places greater demands on the hardware. And this is an acceptable progress within reason of course.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

HI Help!

You can check minimum and recommended requirements to run photoshop software here: Photoshop system requirements (adobe.com)

That's going to be your most official source of information on what computer you need to run photoshop.

If you are looking for information on specific hardware, your best best is going to be looking to 3rd party reviewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
10 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has internal testing labs for testing its software on all nature hardware as well as a number of outside, prerelease members doing the same. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great where can I access this information?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Help!

You can check minimum and recommended requirements to run photoshop software here: Photoshop system requirements (adobe.com)

That's going to be your most official source of information on what computer you need to run photoshop.

If you are looking for information on specific hardware, your best best is going to be looking to 3rd party reviewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it has not utility for the consumer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is specifically what I wanted to avoid and was stated in the body of my original post. I already tried that and they do not provide sufficient information to make an educated decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no single hardware "best" list because "best" means different things to different people on what they need their computers to do. Additionally, you are depending on multiple companies working together to update drivers, software, OS, etc. Any one of those tings at any time can potentially change what "best" feels like for a user at any given time. There are many business decisions made around how hardware operates that is outside of Adobe's control.

What does best mean to you and what is your end goal? What do you need your computer do to? What is your budget? Those 3 things will probably provide a short list of options to look at. Let us know if you have questions

Are you looking for parts to build a computer? Then you will have to do your own research as described below. You are definitely welcome to ask your hardware questions in teh forums here though! We'd love to help disecet with you.

Another option is that you can go with a big company like Dell, HP, Apple. You can talk with a support agent who will most guide you to a great computer for your needs for what they think would be best for you.

Hope that helps and let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would tell you to avoid Windows PCs and only use a Mac. Is that the kind orf guidance you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer's specifications don't matter. Finding the right Photoshop version for you should be a priority.
Just because a computer has high-specs doesn't mean that the latest version of Photoshop runs well.
It's important to find the right version(build) for you. There are many builds in the same 2022 Photoshop. 23.0.0 to Current 23.5
Of course, certain specifications must be guaranteed to ensure that Photoshop versions after 2020 can be used without difficulty. But it's enough for a CPU of 7th generation or later based on Intel, and it's enough to start with 8 to 16 gigabytes of RAM.The GPU also needs to be maintained to a certain extent. Currently, based on Nvidia, it is okay to install only 1060? This is because the acceleration to bring out GPU performance is not working well even in the current version.

And not all of the current Ryzen5950x, Intel12900k, and Apple m2 are working fast.
There is no difference when actually working, and the delay or weight of the bug is the same even if you use the parts.
So it's not a bad choice to fit your computer's parts to your budget, but there's no harvest. Because I've tried various things, I know.

That's why if you want a fast one, use Photoshop CS5-6 or CC2015.5 version. That's the original speed of Photoshop. The computer's specifications are irrelevant.
2018~2019 is pretty fast, too.
2020 is the Maginot Line you can take if you use the latest features.
2021 is slow. It's just slow.
2022 has improved compared to the 2021 version, but the crash with NVIDIA GPU has been maintained for nearly a year since last year, and many freezing and crashes are reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

'That's why if you want a fast one, use Photoshop CS5-6 or CC2015.5 version. That's the original speed of Photoshop. The computer's specifications are irrelevant.'

Can you provide some real evidence of this, using repeatable tests and the timer in the info panel for direct comparison, as that supposed slow down in later versions is not my experience here. Also CS6 and CC2015 are no longer available to new users.

............it's enough to start with 8 to 16 gigabytes of RAM.

That may be the case, depending on the type, size and functionality being used by the user. That is why a system that works ideally for one user may not be ideal for another.

.'.......but the crash with NVIDIA GPU has been maintained for nearly a year since last year'

I use NVidia GPUs here, with no crashes or speed issues.

I use v23.5 just updated to 23.5.1. but do have earlier versions installed for testing.  v23 did introduce a problem with slower saves of PSB files when it introduced RLE compression when set to no compression on save, but that has been resolved and no compression now means just that - no compression - fastest save.

What is not often mentioned is the importance of scratch disk in terms of space and speed. I would recommend use of a fast disk with at least 120-200GB free for scratch (more if you regularly use large files)

I have two systems that both work well, I have no crashes or speed issues.

First an old i7-3930K with 64GB RAM NVidia 2080ti GPU and SSD drives for system and scratch with storage on spinning disks

Second, a newer PC built for 3D work, not just for Photoshop. It has i9-10920X CPU, 256GB RAM, NVidia 3090 GPU and m2NVMe drives for system and scratch with storage on SSDs

My daughter has her own Adobe account, running Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign day in day out, on a laptop with i7-10870H 32GB RAM, NVidia RTX3070 GPU and system , scratch and storage on m2NVMe drives. That also works smoothly and has no issues with speed or crashes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate