• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In photoshop Magic Wand could be more precise

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment you click on an image and if the colours leak into it a bit it will just end up selecting 90% of the image making it a useless tool for some projects.

What I suggest is that Magic Wand could be updated to have a few more options to make the "Magic" more precise to what exactly you want to select.

1. Magic Wand should hover over 1 pixel at a time to get an exact pixel selection before the Magic happens.

1. Magic Wand by Color (Selects all exact copies of the exact color you select from the selected layer(s) or from the 2 colours you can switch between.)

2. Magic Wand from a list (Checkable) H: L: S: a: b: B: R: G: B: C: M: Y: K: (Can select from other layers if multiple Layers are selected)

3. Magic Wand to select x amount of pixels in x shape around the clicked pixel.

Implementing this would speed up so many projects that don't have the best resolution to delete or mass select specific colours to change them to another all at once from very few clicks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to clarify 2. a bit better even though it should be 3. cause I stuffed up lol

2. So you make a selection with Magic Wand then a list pops up and you can like tick off what colours can also be selected from any of the folowing to find exact colours in H: L: S: a: b: B: R: G: B: C: M: Y: K:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The magic wand is by nature a very coarse tool. It is one of the original tools that has been around since the very beginning of Photoshop. I use the magic wand as a quick-and-dirty starting point to be refined further - I would never expect it to produce a finished selection.

1 and 2 seems to be covered here:

wand.png

4 can be done by Intersect Selection as above.

It could also be that you'd get better results with Select > Color Range.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like the Color Range, it takes a while and doesn't produce the results I want.

All i'm asking for is to take an old tool which wouldn't hurt and add more funtions to it to make it do more.
I just wish it could select 1 colour so you can do whatever you want with it to save a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish it could select 1 colour so you can do whatever you want with it to save a lot of time.

By @Clay27030956lphw

Can you show us what settings you have in your options bar for the Magic Wand tool. You do have some control over it — if it is selecting 90% of your image, you might need to make some adjustments.

Can you also tell us what you are trying to achieve and show a screenshot of your image? We might be able to help you with some of the other (far better) ways to make a selection.

"Can select from other layers if multiple Layers are selected"

Selections are not "on" a layer. You can make a selection when you have any layer selected then switch layers, and you can select pixels from multiple layers.

It's not until you do something, such as copy & paste, paint, fill, delete, make adjustments, etc., that you can only do those things on one layer and only inside the selection marquee.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you show us what settings you have in your options bar for the Magic Wand tool."
Sample Size: Point Sample
Tolerance: 9
anti-alias: unchecked
Continguous: checked
Sample All layers: unchecked

"You do have some control over it"
Yes, but I would preferhave more control and just delete colour by colour that I could select from the wand.

"Can you also tell us what you are trying to achieve and show a screenshot of your image? We might be able to help you with some of the other (far better) ways to make a selection."

Sure, for this task, I want to cut out a specific pattern, problem is it's low res so it's not doing it properly. I was going to try and upscale it online to make it easier but the AI makes it worse. I need to do this with a few patterns so I can create it and no I didn't see anything on google that I can use for a better reference.bandicam 2023-02-26 18-25-38-607.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What tolerance level did you use? 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea wrote:

What tolerance level did you use? 

"Tolerance: 9"

(See post just before yours)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Clay27030956lphw 

The image is too blurry to select by color with any method.

janee_0-1677462612331.png

You might try the Pen tool or the Curvature Pen tool, depending on which one you know how to use. Be sure to use Path mode in the options bar. When you are finished drawing and editing the Path, you can convert it to a selection.

janee_1-1677462824385.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks Jane
that actually does help.

Votes