• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC Keyboard Shortcuts, Auto Stacks, Keywords, and Color Management

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know these types of messages typically go straight into the "we know better than our professional customers" void, but hopefully someone at Adobe will listen for a change (Adobe lost my NLE business to DaVinci Resolve years ago, so I'm not holding my breath).  There's no practical or business reason for professionals to be relagated to only "Classic".  Frankly, Classic could be replaced with two menu settings in Cloud (Storage Location + Basic/Advanced View).

Backstory: I'm an IATSE Cinematographer based in New York City.  I also shoot still photographs (as do many of us), but I have not pursued it as a professional career because up until 2019 I was legally colorblind and could not handle editing color.  In 2019 I purchased Enchroma glasses that effectively ended my colorblindness, so I have decided to pursue photography. 

First off, using Lightroom CC on the mobile app is a joy - it works!  With my busy career, it is nice to be able to edit photos on the go.  I also like the integrations with the mobile versions of photoshop. *End Praise*

Now for the part that the suits will come up with a shortsighted explanaton as to why classic should be a separate product from CC -- Lightroom CC is frustrating for professionals and if given the ability to jump to a cloud editing program from Skylar, Affinity, or CaptureOne I would without hesitation.

1) Batch Editing (While you can copy and paste edits, you can only do so when viewing as a "Grid" which is not stated in your tutorial.  I cannot be done in "Detail" mode.)

2) Auto Stacks (Not only should it have the same features as Classic with timing, but it should also be able to do it by likeness using the AI cloud recognition)

3) Keyword and People Organizing (Currently Classic Only) 

4) Custom Keyboard Shortcuts (Currently Classic Only)

5) Directly Adjust Skintones (CaptureOne Feature.  CaptureOne's color control is night and day better from LR.)

Now before you say "just use Classic", you might as well say "just use CaptureOne".  I like a lot of the features of Lightroom, but it's proving to be a time-suck because there is no efficient professional workflow.  I pay $30/mo for Superhuman for my email so that I have the power of the AI + keyboard shortcuts - so don't underestimate how valuable my time is.  In a era when everything is on a screen and I have more tasks than I do time, I want to be sitting at a desk and interacting with my computer for the least amount of time as humanly possible.  Here's what the workflow should be:

1) Import photos /w presets or even just selected camera profile (Copy and pasting later is not professional.  Although I'm a conservative shooter, some imports can be a few thousand photos.)

2) Using just the keyboard: navigate between the photos, zoom in/out, increase/decrease exposure, assign a rating.

I'm seeing user requests for everything in this message going as far back as 2017 which means that you're not listening -- Lightroom CC was clearly designed for consumers and Instagram influencers.  Professionals want/need keyboard workflows -- Look at the success of FCP7, Resolve, AVID, and even hardware like Streamdeck.  Do you really want to wait for a competitor to release a cloud service to THEN try to win us back?

Idea No status
TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does NLE stand for - I guess not 'No Love Entertainment'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kukurykus  NLE=Non Linear Editor. A term for free form video editors like Premier Pro, etc. That is digital file based in contrast to having to move through miles of video tape or film to put together a video.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate