• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lockable JPEG Options

Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have numbers of edited jpgs to be saved one after the other, Photoshop may retain my last entry for "JPEG Options" dialog choices, "Quality" (0-12) & "Format Options" (Baseline, Baseline Optimized, Progressive). This is the preferable behavior.

But very often in a work run, Photoshop shows a mind of it's own & changes either of the settings each time the dialog pops up, I presume based it's idea of content complexity. I never prefer this, and it is a major workflow irritant because I must both watch for unwanted changes, and switch away from comfortable, fast muscle-memory keyboarding to the mouse. I understand you can keyboard the slider & radio button entries too, but every new step adds errors and takes time. I do not want to use an action to save the files, my fingers are on the keyboard already nor do I want to assign a hotkey combo. I want to address the issue of Photoshop picking it's own settings.

My idea request is that the issue be solved by making the "JPEG Options" panel lockable.

Untitled-3.jpg

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Beachcolonist 

This can be done via scripting, there are two options in this topic that I wrote for a similar request:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time. I glanced at your referenced posts and it's quickly clear that you need me to acquire a new skill and also be sure of it, in order to make a change that I would have little confidence in once applied.

So while it may seem a simple thing to you, an editor who depends on the software to work flawlessly without interruption & who wishes to NEVER reset his own Photoshop customizations, will be wise to not follow your instructions.

The issue I posted has the primary quality of pointing out a flaw in the program. The save dialog should not be inconsistent and display a mind of it's own, and as far as I know nobody uses progressive jpg anyway. The correct solution is a little checkbox offering "save these settings."

So while I appreciate that there is a programming work-around for anything to do with a computer, I first appreciate that a smart user lives with an annoying & tiring flaw rather than screwing the program up. You also offer other paths to saving, you seem to not realize that working editors have keystroke workflows and changes cost time & $.

P.S. I went back to re-review your suggestion before hitting "post" on this reply. I must say to you upon review, it's completely unreasonable that you would suggest anyone not a programmer follow your solution, which is both sketchy for as you say, "You may prefer this new version that I just hacked together ..." and complex. You don't assure it works, you don't give instructions how to do it, you just sort of toot your own horn that you know such things. It's the sort of solution that causes more trouble than it solves, but I thank you for your time, again! Please learn about communicating help so that it helps not hinders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I remember you now. I apologize for casting my swine before your pearls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grow up. It's customer support, not ego support for you. I had the inkling two thanks would not be enough if I included a criticism. Well ok to hell with me, just use my advice when you "help" others. And look up Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grow up. It's customer support, not ego support for you. 

You are not my customer and I don't work for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your time. I glanced at your referenced posts and it's quickly clear that you need me to acquire a new skill and also be sure of it, in order to make a change that I would have little confidence in once applied.

The expectation was of a copy/paste and then following simple, linked instructions for saving and using the saved text file. If this is a new skill for you, I would not have that knowledge nor would I know that you lack confidence in the task.

This is an "idea" or feature request topic. Users vote. Adobe takes the number of votes into account when considering feature requests, the more votes the greater the chance of an idea being adopted. Your idea currently has no votes. I offered a workable alternative that could be used.

The issue I posted has the primary quality of pointing out a flaw in the program. 

Not being able to control Adobe programming, as an end-user, all I can do is share an alternative.

So while I appreciate that there is a programming work-around for anything to do with a computer, I first appreciate that a smart user lives with an annoying & tiring flaw rather than screwing the program up.  

Running such a script does not affect the compiled software, preference files or other presets etc.

I personally believe that a "smart user" would prefer to have a solution to avoid an annoying and tiring flaw rather than living with it.

To each their own.

... you don't give instructions how to do it.  

Instructions were provided under the code in a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate