• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: A current and below option for the eye dropper?

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't tell you how many times a day i have to turn off all my layers above the layer i am working on, take a color sample with the eye dropper, and then turn all those layers back on. A simple 'current and below' option (like the clone tool) would be amazing.
Please please please??

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012
This is now possible in Photoshop CS6:

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'd like it too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! I want this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate this.
Thanks.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and for Option sampling with the brush tool also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It should be a 'sticky' preference.... for i hardly ever actually use the eye dropper tool. I usually option click while in the paintbrush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this makes me sound like a rube, but if you have other layers visible above the current layer that you want to select a color from, how can you tell if you are sampling from the correct area, getting the correct color?

Just as a side tip for hiding all of those other layers and then making them visible again: Hold down the Alt (Option) key and click the eye/visibility icon in the layers panel. This will hide all other layers. You can then restore the visibility of these layers by again Alt (Option) clicking the eye again. This will also remember layers that were already hidden. So the second Alt (Option) click restores visibility to only those layers that it was already taken it away from. This causes a certain weakness in that if you change layer visibility after the first Alt (Option) click, you will lose the restoring behavior of the second Alt (Option) click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have layers visible from above, the sample being made is a merged sample of everything visible regardless of where in your layer stack you sample. It is annoying when you have adjustment layers ABOVE the layer you need to paint on. Those adjustments do not accurately give you a sample of the data below the adjustments.
the alt key eyeball click turns off ALL the other eyeballs. I'd want it to turn ONLY the eyeballs off above the layer i am working on. Not below. then the sample wouldn't work (because all the eyeballs are off).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett, turning off all layers isn't what's wanted; you might have pixel layers you want in tact.

It's the adjustment layers one wants off, because if one samples with them on above, then paints below, they get a double application of said adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott. You did a better job of saying what i was thinking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2011 Jun 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there was an option to set the eyedropper/color sampler to read out not only the "Current layer" or "All layers", but the layers "Current & Below".

This would be really helpful because I sometimes work on images with adjustment layers on top and when I try picking a color from a layer underneath, I'll get the color of the merged result, which then again is affected by the adjustment layers on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that sample current and below in the eyedropper/brush sampler has been overlooked by adobe for so many versions makes me feel like they take secret pleasure in making users insane. Thank you adobe for all of the other useless photoshop features, just give us this one that would make our lives better beyond belief.

The fact that I have to turn off my entire color set when I need to sample and paint on pixel layers makes me want to push my monitor off my desk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbs up from me, for this idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE add this! I'm a pro retoucher and sometimes paint white cars silver using curves adj layers and want to sample pixel layer below. Ex:

• Curves adjustment (top layer)
• Touchup (layer i'm painting on)
• Smart Object (pixel layer i'm sampling color from)

Toggling layers on/off with option key doesn't work because I am on the touchup layer and want to sample the pixel layer below. Therefore the only obvious answer is to have current & below option for eyedropper. Why is this option on everything BUT the eyedropper?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what you want is an option for the Eyedropper tool like this: "Sample: This/This and below/All layers", just like in the clone tool. Photoshop CS5 has this pull down option but it lacks "This and below", I don't know why they forgot it. I give a thumbs up for this too.

And I would add also another improvement in the visibility of layers:
at the right click menu in the eye icon of the layer I would add the option "Hide all layers above this one". This is something I do very very frequently and currently you have to do it by hand and it is a real pain when you are working with 20 or more layers and you want to hide all layers above layer 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now possible in Photoshop CS6:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!
And what about "Hide all layers above this one" in the layers panel? That would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a new topic with the request and we can consider it. It's also likely that it's already possible to write a script to accomplish this today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
In previous versions I was able to sample from above layer to make changes to a lower layer. When color correcting, I'll put a square sample on a layer and try to match visually and by the numbers. I have not figured out how to do this in CS6. It has been a few versions since I was able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate