P: Ability to choose a specific font from disk when resolving missing one

7 Votes
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! I can't seem to find a way to choose a specific font from the complete list of installed font, instead of having some kind of random shortlist. Is there such an option ? If not, will that be implemented in the feature ?

It's Really annoying to open the file, not being able to resolve with the right font, and then having to do it manually (fiter fonts in layer panel > then select the concerned layers and have to browse - getting around the instant preview/replace issue - and then select the right font, and click ok or press enter for every single layer -__-')

Thanks for the help !

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
36 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Status No status

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a document created using a font that I don't have, I want the opportunity to replace all instances of that font with another. This process is pretty straight forward in Illustrator and even Flash, why can I not find this in Photoshop?

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frequently,I Receive some PSD files, It is did by Other people.

When I open it with my computer,I find it missed a lot of fonts.

Some times,I have this fonts, but the name is not  like with the fonts of the PSD file.

So,I need to replae the Losing fonts, but it  always have a lot, It wast my much times.

In Indesign, it is Very easy~~

Could you help me Achieve it by scrip in Photoshop?

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabrizio,

The Find Font tool does not work for ALL fonts.  The functionality handles most common fonts as well as those fonts from TypeKit.  Other fonts are going to need to be replaced manually.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh... that really is annoying. You should be given the ability to choose any installed font!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add my frustration. It seems to select a completely arbitary font ... Myriad Pro .. which is nothing like the ones I have that are variants of the name that was sent to me. Why select anything if you are not going to select the ones that are similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

Myriad Pro is the default font for Photoshop in most languages.  It is the default because of its diversity -- you will find the letters (and alternate glyphs) of MANY languages in the font AND it is pretty common.  If the application gave you Myriad Pro as an option, then nothing in your other fonts sufficiently match any of the other characteristics of the missing font -- what a human perceives as similar can be quite subjective and difficult to put in an algorithm or solve via heuristics.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response. But the PSD I received (from a Mac user) used AkzidenGrotesk Bold and my PC version was AkzidenGrotesk Std Bold. I had the same problem with Rockwell Light and Rockwell Std Light. Myriad Pro for both of them.

I think the problem would be solved if there were a way for you to allow the user to select from their own list. I think some of the early versions did this. (I’m a user since 2.0 so maybe my problem is that I am old!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here here! Seems like the perfect solution to me as well! Let us choose from our own installed fonts! Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy folks,

Okay, I've gone ahead and logged a feature request for this and quoted you on it.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks! I will tell my arrogant IT friends and colleagues that I am a PhotoShop partner if and when this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't see how this would have to be a requested feature. It's standard in both InDesign and Illustrator. I highly doubt it's an oversight in Photoshop. It just makes sense.

Very frustrating when you receive a PSD from a client with about 50 folders with many, many, (sigh) many type layers all in an (almost) identical font that I have installed but can't choose to batch replace.

Looks like the last post on this was a month ago. I'd like to know how seriously this "feature request" is being considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I'm sorry but this is a garbage answer and it should be obvious to you that it will not satisfy any design professional using your products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT IS NUTS that this functionality is so broken in Photoshop.

EDIT:

A workaround.

1. Cancel the substitution dialog that comes up when the document opens.
2. Create a new text layer.
3. Type whatever. Set sections of the text to the fonts you would like to manually substitute for the missing fonts in the document. Save (as a new file if you're concerned).
4. Close and open again.
5. Now the shortlist pulldowns in the font substitution dialog should include your chosen substitute fonts. (Pulldowns seem to include all fonts in the document that ARE installed).

Anyway, worked for me on PS 20141204.r.310 x64 (Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you feel that way, Damian, but it's a valid response.

Photoshop has had automatic font substitution for more than a decade.  That said, each SKU of the product falls back to one given font if the algorithm cannot match a font.  For English-speaking users, that fallback font is Myriad Pro, which we use as PS's default font for all Latin- and Cyrillic-based languages precisely because it includes such a wide variety of glyphs and writing system.  In other words, for those using European languages, falling back to Myriad Pro when the app is confused offers users the BEST chance of resolving missing glyphs/fonts.  So, it's actually a very smart way of doing things.  Sure, the universe of fonts has changed since this feature was created (before my time on type, I might add), so an update is probably in order.  But that's a different issue than explaining the process and logic behind it.

I will *AGAIN* bump up this feature request.  Posting polite comments and examples of the importance of this enhancement in this thread might help getting it the priority you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sorry I was so bitchy earlier! Felt very frustrated.

And still kind of do... It's nuts how badly this works in the current implementation. I was trying to open a Mac-composed PS document with Helvetica (Helvetica!!). I own TTF and OpenType versions of Helvetica from five different foundries. Tried having each installed. None was detected via PS's automatic substitution. Having no avenue for document-wide manual substitution in PS seems like a huge oversight when Illustrator has solved the problem so thoroughly already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damian's workaround is on the right track. The font list will include any installed fonts contained in the document. The method I use is similar, but less steps:
1. Cancel the substitution dialog on document open.
2. Select any layer with the missing font and manually change to the font of choice, then save.
4. Select Type > Resolve Missing Fonts and the substitution list will include your chosen font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let me add to the polite chorus to please allow access to all fonts installed on the system.

We are about to update our corporate branded fonts to some newer versions, some of which have been renamed, and the ability to fix these quickly will greatly help in this transition. InDesign has solved this so beautifully for many years, please consider using that approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 'missing fonts' dialogue box / list has completely disappeared. It doesn't even alert me to fonts missing, it simply opens the document and has all the missing fonts as layers with the yellow warning triangle.

Is there a way to bring back the dialogue? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the dialog manually when the document is open: Type > Resolve Missing Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

If you trash your preferences, the Missing Font dialog will again come back.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you would think that the ADOBE apps would at least allow selection of the ADOBE fonts that get installed with ADOBE creative suite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be willing to bet that if you surveyed all daily Photoshop users, 95% of them would say that this is a huge annoyance.

Here's my current situation as an example:

Fonts in my document: HelveticaNeue Bold, Gotham Bold

Fonts on my system: HelveticaNeue LT 55 Roman Bold, Gotham Bold Regular

Fonts being suggested to me: Myriad Pro Regular, Arial Regular, Arial Bold, Frutiger LT (+ 2 variants).

Ignoring the fact that the matching could be done by name (at least to get a close approximation), why in the world wouldn't I just be able to choose something like "Other" from the bottom of the font selection dropdowns? Why is that so programatically difficult for the people who built Adobe Photoshop?

Fix the stupid thing. It's a pain in everyone's behind and is a huge time waster for people who collaborate across different companies, divisions, groups, etc. where they don't all work with the exact same OS (Mac/Windows) and fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy smokes I second and third and fourth this request, the automatic font replacement in Photoshop is horrible, with apparently no manual option available. I just had to replace fonts in several psds and could not get the correct fonts to show up in the font replacement list without using Damian's workaround. Talk about unintuitive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable that this is still necessary in CC 2015! Regardless, thanks for the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate