Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Ability to import raw files on mobile

84 Votes
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t import a simple Nikon Raw (.nef) file into photoshop iPad. The foto is on my iPad I can open it from files app but photoshop is not able to import!!!!!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021
You can now import raw files directly into Photoshop on iPad, without needing to go through the Lightroom app. Enjoy!
Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
Importing of raw files is now available via the Lightroom iPad App.  Please see https://blogs.adobe.com/creative/june-2020-photography-releases/ for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate
55 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems they're separating out functions—Photoshop on the iPad does simple compositing (many layers, but still only simple functions to build them). Lightroom in the Cloud is apparently meant to be the stopgap for photo editing until they can build out those features. Fresco is for painting and drawing—until they can give us our brushes and other presets.

It's not the "full" Photoshop, but the "real" Photoshop. Here's hoping that having built the foundations for the "real" Photoshop, we see the bulk of the missing features arrive quickly over the course of this next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you but I understand it is not that simple. Opening a camera RAW would require ACR engine.

The solution I have right now is to edit my RAW file in Lightroom which is basically like PS ACR exported to a stand alone software, then after editing in Lightroom go to Share icon > Open In > Copy to Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job guys. The way forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom for iOS can do it then photoshop for iOS should also be able. Adobe just dropped the ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with my Olympus raw files. Hope they add support soon. Having to use other software to change the file type is time consuming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without RAW support Photoshop for the iPad is worthless to me. Have been looking forward to this for a year, very disappointing. Will this ever have RAW support? If so, when?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this possible? I can edit raw files in Lightroom on my iPad. I’m a professional. This is useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Photoshop without Raw support is plain silly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree and, unfortunately, I have no confidence they will prioritize it on an upgrade roadmap. So I will migrate over to Affinity which disturbs my workflow no end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to import an .NEF file into Photoshop on my iPad, but was told it was an unsupported file format. How long before .NEF files become supported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any plans when RAW-Converter will be available for PS IPad Pro App? For now I am using Affinity to convert my RAW-files and import the PSD to PS. Would be great if you could give an information if you put this function in the scope already. Thanks for feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to know that. I just purchased Affinity. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major feature that’s been left out. I import my raw files directly from a camera via usb-c to my iPad for Lightroom Mobile editing all the time. Lightroom does not have any support issues. I do not see a use for photoshop mobile at this moment and hope they address this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the ability to import and edit raw files. This would be extremely helpful in using the iPad as an on-the-go editing machine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I transfer a raw file from sd card into my photos on ipad and then tried to open the image from photoshop and it said file not supported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to be able to import our native RAW files. CR2 and DNG. It’s an unexpected stumbling block that makes the app almost irrelevant for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG support for Pentax K70? I am mystified that Adobe doesn’t support a universal format it created. Especially since it is supported on your other iOS products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Camera raw plugin would be a very useful add-on for PS for iPad.

PS: Canon cr.2 files is not currently supported, when for?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe definitely dropped the ball with RAW support. It should have been included from day one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. In the meantime, support for Adobe RAW/DNG would go along the way in getting by until individual camera RAW formats are supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the "real" PS can't do a thing with raw files, I'm going to assume that instead of a hookup with LR Cloudy, you all want at the minimum the Basic tab of Camera Raw inside PS iPad(whatever it's called)? Even the CR filter in PS requires we go back to CR to handle raw files.

Wouldn't you be okay with LR Cloudy's raw file handling if it interacted with PS the way CR does on the desktop, and let PS iPad develop more features that LR Cloudy doesn't have? I, for one, would really like to see a complete set of adjustment layers, SOs, at least the Pen tool for vector selections/paths, real brushes along with brush settings, layer styles. . . and on and on . . .

I'd be fine using LR Cloudy if it hooked up with PS iPad directly and easily—it would even give me a reason to use LR Cloudy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At a minimum you should be able to pass easily from Lightroom to Photoshop but they have not managed that. Best would be using  Adobe Camera Raw the same way you do on your desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add import and export support HEIF as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesn’t appear to be a straightforward way to open files that come directly from a pro level camera.  Virtually all serious photographers capture in RAW.  Being able to edit in Photoshop directly from the Lightroom mobile app would also make the workflow independent of a desktop/laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone mentioned this above, you can buy the Affinity Photo app which opens RAW and saves in numerous other formats including PSD.  Then import the PSD to Photoshop on iPad.  Not ideal but it works.  Incidentally, Affinity Photo is pretty good on its own. The lack of RAW support is beyond egregious.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines