• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to update/edit brush presets

Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2011 Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a no-brainer that should make its way ASAP into 13.

Provide users with a way of tweaking their brush settings and then SAVING OVER an existing brush preset, rather than having to create a new one.

The brush preset system that has been in place since 5 is a broken user experience. You always create a "throwaway" brush (tip) when you Define Brush Preset, and then you customize its settings and create a New Brush. Then, if you don't like those settings and want to improve them, you are stuck having to create yet another brush preset, and eventually deleting the others.

Come on guys, we need something just a little more polished. It's been over ten years now. Fix some basic stuff before launching into crazy new directions like 3D.

For the most intuitive user experience, the workflow should be revised.

Creating brushes should be a two-step process:
1. create a "brush tip" - these are the sampled pixels only, with no Brush configuration data attached
2. create a "brush" - by selecting a brush tip and then setting your options.

If you then want to edit an existing preset and save over it, why not present us with familiar options like Save and Save As? Put a little "save" icon and a "clone" icon in the Brushes palette. Let us know when we're editing an existing brush preset, and put the title of the brush preset in the palette. Basic basic stuff.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
62 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed wholeheartedly. Just spent 20 minutes beating my brain against this cumbersome interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget about that you can also create a Tool Preset, that will store blending modes, color, etc. :D
I'd like also to see some revision about presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would put the brushes option on the panel where it says "Save Brush Preset." So we can create the spacing etc on the fly and of course I support the cloning idea.

This would be sweet to have with the organization schema so we can do this with the brushes palette rather than a preset organizer in a separate window. ('cause if you get the brush wrong, you have to open the window again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been hoping for this to be implemented for years. Corel Painter already has this function and it makes painting much faster!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would like to have this option too.
i just searched for it and found out that it doesn't exist?

please adobe! this should be a simple one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahah! +1 for the useless 3D
the presets windows are prehistoric, we can't do anything, can't tidy up anything.

That's something sooooooooooooooooo simple that I can't imagine it is not on a software like Photoshop...I mean.. many years of existence... massively used by professionals.... but it is, yes. Along with many other tiny things MORE important than "not well implemented" 3D and shiny stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the presets, and rearrange them as much as you'd like. And you can change the view of the presets. But the preset lists are just lists of the presets that you chose to load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we already know all that, cause it's the same for years.
But the title of this request says clearly "update/edit" brush presets.

What the point of posting requests if Adobe doesn't try to understand / read them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@atharil - that happens all the time. I'm not sure whether Adobe actually takes these things seriously - but I guess the only way to really make sure is to post / promote these requests through your social network and get more comments and votes. For example, this request only has +7 votes, which is silly when you think of it: how many regular Photoshop users (professionals) would vote for this request if they knew it existed? All of them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm not sure since Adobe doesn't seem to know how to implement/code simple things like this or a real color selector, or some more options on brushes, and so on... ( So other people make things with the limited scripting interface, and better )
Millions of people can request these features but if they don't know how to do them, what's the point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We read and listen to all requests. But we have to prioritize, and not all requests are possible, or even good ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is though, Painter does it already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And so does clip studio paint...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes adobe should make Ps easy to use,save time,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe the status of this item is "Not Planned"!

It's such a minor thing, with so many possible solutions.

Don't you wish Photoshop were open source? Heck, I'd write the darned patch myself. They keep working on "big picture" marquee features, instead of making our daily work tool more ergonomic and efficient.

I don't know why I keep giving Adobe my monthly CC subscription. They just don't seem to listen to their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Programs are more than new shiny features. They are about being able to meet the expectations of the end user and make it more efficient to use.

For example, when Photoshop made it so you didn't have to double click a layer, which opened a dialogue box and then click enter to rename it, that feature got a ton of cheers, because it was a routine thing. The fact that Photoshop plans on not making this application more user friendly in this manner where you don't have to go through an extra dialogue box to do similar functions saddens me.

To me, it's the same kind of effect that you guys got when you redid the layers naming process to be just a simple click. Sometimes the UX things get more cheers than the brand new shinies. Sometimes fixing an old bug or giving simple organization, or reducing the amount of clicks i.e. UX gets more cheers than coming up with a new doodad.

Brushes are part of the user's every day function--it's a basic component of Photoshop--it came out with version 1. So why not pay attention to the UX? And why not pay attention to your major competitors who are ahead in that fashion and have done it anyway?

Sometimes improving basic functions makes life easier. Brushes is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant comment. I couldn't have said better myself. The fact is, that a new feature opens up new possibilities for us users, and some may turn into valuable parts of our workflow, while others will never make it in there (3D is such an example for me - I'll just use Maya or Rhino if I want 3D).

However, improvement to core workflow features benefit everyone, and translate instantly into $$ for the end user (in an industry where time == money). It's also the little things that let loyal users (I've been using Photoshop since it was called "Fast Eddie") know that Adobe is looking out for them, that you have their interests at heart, and that Adobe is always looking for ways to make things a little bit better. These things have a huge impact, even though they don't make the headlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a minor thing.
Presets (like brushes) are settings you save (not modify, hence the term "pre-set"), which have an identity that can be referenced by actions, scripts, and the rest of the preset management code. If you modify them, then the action or script cannot reproduce it's effect because the preset has changed out from under the script. Because you copy from the preset to the active tool settings, there is no real "current" preset to save back to (even though we highlight the last selected preset as a convenience) - you would always be saving a new preset.
There are more complications under the hood, because the implementation is more complex than you seem to realize (this is not a bad thing, it just means that we make a lot of complicated stuff easy to use).

Most of the workflow you describe in the original post is already in Photoshop, except for the "modify an existing preset" part. Yes, you might end up creating 2 brush presets while creating a new tip and settings. That is because the tip and the brush don't exist independently -- and making them completely independent would make the brush UI much more complex - we looked at doing that several years ago.

We listen to the feature requests, but sometimes the requested ideas just don't match the reality we have to work with, or the request doesn't take into account the features that already exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We constantly update the UI to improve efficiency. But sometimes things that you think might improve your efficiency would actually complicate the UI, or cause problems for other users that you don't realize.

We have to take all the users, all the functions, and all the issues into account before changing the functionality of Photoshop (and still sometimes get it wrong).

Just because we say that one particular request is not a good idea (or sometimes not even possible) does not mean that we are not listening to requests, or not implementing other requests and improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'It is not a minor thing. '
>> compared to the new perspective tool, it is

"Presets (like brushes) are settings you save (not modify, hence the term "pre-set"), "
>> I don't understand the point of playing with words. In many other software, presets can be modified and they still call them presets.

"which have an identity that can be referenced by actions, scripts, and the rest of the preset management code. If you modify them, then the action or script cannot reproduce it's effect because the preset has changed out from under the script. Because you copy from the preset to the active tool settings, there is no real "current" preset to save back to (even though we highlight the last selected preset as a convenience) - you would always be saving a new preset.
There are more complications under the hood, because the implementation is more complex than you seem to realize (this is not a bad thing, it just means that we make a lot of complicated stuff easy to use). "
>> I don't see here any complication. The users still modify presets, but in a painful manner, so all these users would have had these problems you describe. I never heard of them neither had one myself ( And I use/make actions and scripts )

"Most of the workflow you describe in the original post is already in Photoshop, except for the "modify an existing preset" part. Yes, you might end up creating 2 brush presets while creating a new tip and settings. That is because the tip and the brush don't exist independently -- and making them completely independent would make the brush UI much more complex - we looked at doing that several years ago. "
>>yeah, most of the workflow but not the "update/modify" part, which is indeed the title of this request. I don't understand the second part, seems unrelated to me (?)

"We listen to the feature requests, but sometimes the requested ideas just don't match the reality we have to work with, or the request doesn't take into account the features that already exist."
>>Again, since ALL the user ( I mean users that really use brushes ) want this, I don't really understand where exactly it doesn't match the reality ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you, personally, Chris as a senior computer scientist representative of Adobe spend a lot of time on these boards saying, "it's too hard, we can't, we know better." and "We do so much for you, what do you want anyway." I know programmers--I'm related to a few, so I understand where you are coming from. But your priorities seem to be towards programming not UX, making me wonder if you took any UX classes. (Website designers have to worry about it professionally all the time... Steve Jobs was a UX master, BTW.)

Ask questions. Ask how the user would implement it, present the whole problem--there are programmers, UX people, Website designers, artists and photoshop users among you. Don't say it's hard work and what do you want from us?

Because UX is functionality. It's not a minor thing. It's workflow, it's time management. Shinies are fun to program--I get it, but it doesn't always make the user happier. (That's why it's called User Experience, not programmer experience.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a UX problem and Chris, correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't seem to be in UX and don't seem to be interested in UX solutions so I'll give you the solution for what you presented, free of charge. I know UX very well since I do that sort of thing professionally...

If you take the preset organization idea, with the folders, redundant brushes are not an issue--they are saved into folders. That gets rid of your organization problem. Ask how and why--see how other programs do it--defer the costs to Adobe--you should have your competitor programs up in your offices anyway. (Marketing, anyone?)

You are thinking about eliminating menus. Don't do it. Keep it redundant the Jakob Neilsen way. He has a free website to UX issues. Redundancy is good, keep it , get the user acclimated, then eliminate the redundancy later on as needed. (It's under how to build a game theory in the UX world... you get the user acclimated before making it harder for them.)

Other UX you can read: : http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/... (programmer for you)

I also suggest instead of refuting from the outset using the users here who come from many walks of life to solve the issues for you--maybe they can pound out a simpler implementation than you are thinking in your head (The programmers I know tend to complicate solutions). They use the program, sometimes every day, they might understand how it works better than you think. Programmers, website designers, website programmers also use Photoshop.

Doesn't Adobe have UX people on its team....? If you don't you should. Because your complaint is a UX problem, not a programming one. Have them write replies to what you perceive to be UX issues. Anthropologists and Sociologists are prime for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a UX problem at all, it is a basic logic problem. The idea does not work for multiple reasons, which I have tried to simplify here (the details are too complex to easily write down). Yes, if you don't understand the problem, a really simplistic solution would be to update the presets -- which sounds great if you have absolutely no idea what is really involved. But it's a lot like saying that you can breathe on the moon because you can breathe on Earth and don't think it is any different from driving across town. Pursuing that could end up costing you a lot of time and effort for an end result that you most certainly don't want.

And yes, I am quite familiar with UX/UI design principles (and read Joel's books/blog as well).

Yes, we have a UX team and UI designers -- but they do know that many of their "pie in the sky" ideas have to face reality, and that sometimes the details are a lot more complicated than they realize from the outside.

But I do know more about the issues, the designs, and how the presets and tools work -- and am trying to tell you that this idea has serious flaws. Even if you think about the basics of how brushes and presets work in Photoshop, you should see that this idea cannot work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never said it was hard - it is just too logically flawed, because it is based on a lack of knowledge of how things actually work (thinking things are MUCH simpler than they really are, or that the complications don't have a reason for existing).

Users can imagine many things that are impossible. That does not mean that we should spend our time implementing the impossible. Sometimes we have to tell the user "no, this does not work.", and move on to better ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate