• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow renaming of Layers in Layer Styles dialog

Advisor ,
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click the Layer name in order to rename it, I often miss the name which of course invokes the Layer Styles Dialog.

This would be acceptable if I could actually rename the Layer in this dialog box. Closing and trying again can get tedious.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggested this myself at the main site a few weeks ago. Happy to support it here. And the graphic really sells it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bad idea - I've heard this requested elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this idea. And I like that you've mocked it up with the layer name not being part of the Blending Options tab, so it would always be at the top of the window, not matter which Layer Style is selected. I'd really, really like to see this in the next version of Photoshop.

I think it could possibly go even further... Why bother with a separate Layer Properties and Blending Options (Layer Styles) window? If the layer name is added to the Blending Options window, it's only a colour pop-up menu away from having everything listed in the Layer Properties window.

A combined Layer Properties and Blending Options window would be awesome.

(Less windows probably means Adobe can remove some code and have less UI to manage. Win-win!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, that might have been me in June 2008 🙂 when I posted the image to Flickr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hoping this makes the final cut, especially seeing how difficult it is to activate the name field w/o ending up in Layer Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens all of the time. Include the layer color to the left of the name and we're in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And then a keyboard shortcut could allow it to be opened and the layer renamed. I can't believe that they removed the ability for a keyboard shortcut to rename layers. That is the first thing I customized with every new version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an input box so that you can also rename the layer in the layer style panel when you double click layer. Double clicking on the layer name, to rename the layer, a lot of times opens the layer style panel instead, if you don't click precise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "Layer style" dialogue box (double click a layer on the layers panel (Windows version - I guess CTRL & click on a Mac maybe? Or right click and chose "Blending options") in Photoshop, along the left of the pop-up box are "styles" which can be applied to that layer.

The styles shown have a specific and fixed layer order. "Bevel & Emboss" at the top through to "Drop shadow" at the bottom.

They cannot currently be re-arranged, but sometimes different effects could be achieved if the priority order could be changed. For example, "outer glow" underneath/ behind "drop shadow" or "inner glow" above "inner shadow" or "color overlay" behind "gradient overlay".

I would like to see a way to CONTROL THE ORDER that styles are applied, either on a layer basis, document wide or both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Chris Cox (who merged my idea into this one) - this isn't the same thing so why has this been merged?
MY topic was about RE-ORDERING styles, not re-naming layers. Please un-merge and please read more carefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I seem to have gotten the wrong topic when merging. I had selected the existing old topic about reordering layer styles...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, sorry about that. Looks like an honest mistake by Chris. I can see how it would happen (I've done it myself).

Here's the existing topic on this subject if you want to add your vote comment to topic: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A lot of the time, when I double click a layer name to rename it, I end up accidentally opening the layer style panel as there's no obvious separation between the clickable areas to either change layer name or open layer styles, so it would be really rather helpful if the layer's name was also within the layer style panel, just to save having to close the panel and double click the layer name again in the hope that this time you've clicked in the right place! Just some UX/UI feedback here really... 

Votes

Translate

Translate