• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow users to change the UI language without having to purchase multiple licenses

Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2011 Apr 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users of localized versions might need to use the english version for several reasons: following one of the many english tutorials on the web, using some of the shortcuts that are not available in other languages, use some actions that have been written in english without making sure they would not break in other languages.

Some countries have multiple national languages, and companies might have employees speaking different languages using the same machine. Letting them select their language of choice would be a must!

The only legal way to do it now seems to purchase another version of the software en english, install it, then use the preferences entry to change the languages.

But paying a whole new license of Photoshop is quite expensive, especially if one knows that other software, also produced by Adobe, allow their users to change the langage of their interface for free: After Effects, Lightroom, Bridge are examples I know of.

After effects users can switch their localized version to english in order to use english-written expressions, or to follow the vast amount of tutorials in english: (it's even evangelized as a useful function!: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/20... )

Lightroom follows the language of the Operating System, at least on Macintosh.

Bridge allows the change of its UI Language in its preferences.

Please empower your users!
Some multi-lingual users would then be able to evangelize in multiple languages, therefore helping and reaching more customers, and giving them more incentives to purchase (because they know they would get help...)

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015
This is implemented in Creative Cloud.

Instructions for changing the language for Creative Cloud applications: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate
52 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(tw104281.dat) it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we want to expand Photo/Visual Business in Africa.
i just need associate from any part of the world who`s interested in this concept.
if any person who is ready can contact me with this e-mail address.
proideafrica@gmail.com +233540961997
Kafui Abraham Ukoh
STUDIO AFRICA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My niece, who speaks Russian, moved to the USA. I want to get her Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended in Russian and I want her to be able to change the user interface to English when she learns English better, or when she wants to compare the Russian UI to the English UI so she can learn English.

But I want her to be able to have the ability to switch languages when she wants to. How hard can this be to implement? What is Adobe's concern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My niece, who speaks Russian, moved to the USA. I want to get her Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended in Russian and I want her to be able to change the user interface to English when she learns English better, or when she wants to compare the Russian UI to the English UI so she can learn English.

But I want her to be able to have the ability to switch languages when she wants to. How hard can this be to implement? What is Adobe's concern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go with the cloud license you should be able to use other (available) languages later on.

Quote from the FAQ on
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativ...
»The Creative Cloud experience includes the Creative Cloud website, Creative Suite and other desktop applications, and several online services. When using the individual CS6 applications, members can select from any language in which each is available. Unlike owning the traditional licensed version of a CS product, Creative Cloud membership gives you the flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application.

The Creative Cloud website itself is available in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, and Swedish. Visit the tech specs page for information on language availability for other components and services.«

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well this is a start. When they say "...members can select from any language in which each is available." and "Creative Cloud membership gives you the flexibility to choose whichever language works best for you in any given application." do they mean you can change between languages at will, or just pick one (and you will have to stay with that one language in that application)?

I've found that Adobe specializes in vague "explanations" which only serve to confuse, as if selling the product was more important than actually posting clearly what the consumer really needs to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That indeed helped. At the end it was said that an application will launch in the language to which the operating system is set. I intend to get my niece Win7 Ultimate which will allow her to select Russian as a language for the current logon user. I'll advise her to have two logon users, one for English (the system language) and one for Russian.

Regarding Creative Cloud, I'm not sure why I have to pay extra every month (the subsciption fee) to change Adobe application languages. I realize that some Adobe applications, perhaps most, allow one to change languages readily however, the "standalone" Photoshop Extended is not such an application, iirc.

Regarding my statement that Adobe specializes in vauge "explanations", I've come to see that, in some cases, it's a matter of my wanting to know "G", but to know "G" I need to know A, B, C, D, E, and F and some of those may not be Adobe related but Windows 7, or "other" related. So in some cases my ignorance regarding that is to blame.

It's still frustrating to read descriptions which, intentionally or not, mislead. For instance, since Creative Cloud is subscription based and may cost one $79.99 per month, I assumed that one could download any application available and use it for as long as needed. This isn't transparently addressed in the video tutorial, nor in the text advertisement. They both say you can download any application in the Cloud and use it. What they don't say is that the application is a 30 day trial and after the 30 days one must purchase the application to keep using it. That's more than misleading advertising. I wonder how many people purchased Creative Cloud only to find out they were paying for Adobe to advertise Adobe products? How many people, including professionals, really need the ability to integrate so many devices? It seems manic to me. I know some professionals and some non-professionals may have a need for it, but it's not an "everyone's got to have this thing" and that's what it's pretending to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cloud license is a subscription, so yeah, one has to pay the periodic fee as long as one wants to use the applications – but this is not »extra« as one does not need to buy the stand-alone application beforehand.
And the monthly fee is naturally much less than the price for Photoshop’s full version.

I am wary of the concept myself but Adobe’s reasoning might be that people could work with a program indefinitely and never pay Adobe anymore if they are satisfied with the version they purchased – but they prefer a constant and reliable stream of small payments.
And to motivate users to switch to this model they offer (relevant) benefits – like use of the different language versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by an Adobe representaive that the individual applications must be purchased when using the Cloud. The rep said all the apps can be downloaded as 30 day trials through the Cloud, but one must eventually purchase them if one continues to use them after 30 days even though one has a Cloud subscription.

It's quite possibe that Adobe representative was in error. Because if they were then I'll get the cloud for my niece.

I'll call Adobe and ask them again. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geez, you're right. I suppose I wasn't on the same page with the rep I spoke with a few days ago. Indeed, all the apps are included in the subscription price and so my "above" complaints were so much hot air.

Thanks, christoph, for helping me resolve that. I appreciate it very much. Indeed, it seems that the Cloud is the best bet for her!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christoph's addition about Creative Cloud is a welcome solution for the users that can go that route, but makes this issue even more hard to swallow for users of Perpetual Licenses. Note also that CC allows a mixed OS installation (one Mac, one PC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased my PS CS6 upgrade in German and was surprised I couldn't switch it to English. Yes, I rememberd then that there was this issue. Stupid if you ask me, and unfair. I don't do more work with PS just because I switch languages, so why would the second license be justified? Language packs should be free or available at small charge max.
Yes, cloud would be an option. But I just decided against it. I only use PS, the upgrade costs far less then the cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just gotta say I agree. I bought the Creative Cloud package, and must've missed the language option, assumed the software would be in English, but now I'm stuck with a Swedish one which is, to me, quite literally foreign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half an hour later - there actually seems to be a way to change language easily in Creative Cloud, through the Applications Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is, all is needed to change the language of the program are the locale files in the folder C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Locales\**_**\Support Files (Where **_** are the different language_COUNTRY packs) and the possibility for the user to select the Language in the prefs window.

CC users can do that. As I said, Amiga user could do that decades ago. Adobe should allow all user do that (download language packs and select them), not only CC users.

I wonder what happens if you copy, lets say, the de_DE folder from a computer with a German version of PS to a computer with, lets say, a Spanish version (same software version, of course). Would just the presence of the new folder and files allow the selection of German in the prefs the next time you run PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you, Juan, because I tried. Being a nosy IT guy I of course took the en_GB locales folder and copied it over to my German installation that had only a de_DE folder sitting there. Aswer part a) yes, I was able to select English (GB) in the settings after that. Answer part b) no, it isn't that easy. After a restart PS recoginzed an unlicensed language pack, wouldn't work. So I deleted the folder again.
Proves that technically it is very easy. It's only a matter of license and sales policy. I am quite an Adobe product fan. They have great software. But I am getting a disgruntled fan more and more. Issues with LR 4, Premiere Elements 10 I had to return because it couldn't handle my regional settings properly and would damage its own project files by mixing commas and semicolons for separators, issues not really well handled. Now a language pack that apparently is supposed to cost as much as the product itself? Sorry, the product is expensive enough as it is. I'd be willing to hand over another say 20 €, but not several hundreds. I am after all, not making money with my photography, at least not enough worth mentioning, alas. And Elements is just not the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me! I have CS6, renamed tw104281.dat to tw104281.bak and restarted Photoshop, still in German.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, renamed the folder from de_DE to en_US and now it works. Gives an error about keyboard shortcuts everytime I start the program, but it runs and it's in English at least.

Anyone know how to do this for Acrobat Pro? It doesn't have a Locale folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it working by renaming the subfolder in Locales to en_US, just renaming the .dat file didn't do it for me. I get an error about missing keyboard shortcuts, but it runs.

Anyone know how to change the language of Acrobat Pro X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro X:
Edit > Prferences > International: Application language
(English, French, Same as operating system)

Ute

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your a lifesaver. thanks, I hate it that those company try to have us use country language. so hard to get it all back in english as I am used to english

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe
Please fix this bothersome problem in CS6 now! At least make english an option in every language, since all tutorials etc are in that language. I bought Design Premium upgrade in my native language by mistake...and I don't like to rename files if I can help it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has already been addressed in Photoshop CC.
Photoshop CS6 is older software, and will not get the new features added in Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is implemented in Creative Cloud.

Instructions for changing the language for Creative Cloud applications: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate