• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: alt+right click drag resize opacity lock

Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great to have an option that will lock opacity when resizing my brush with alt+right click drag, There is one for brush hardness, but never found one for opacity!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
83 Comments
Participant ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that adding that option to properties would take about 15 min, from which 10 minutes would go to reporting and accaunting.  In my understangin from the little I have done scripts and modifiactions to other softwares, it is quite easy to disable something that exist. As there is already option to choose between Hardness/Opacity, it might be possible that this would be solved with one or two lines of a code. 

So maybe some devekopper at Adobe could take a breake from exiting AI stuff for a while, as fun it is, and do few lines some usefull development and write few lines of code that actually improves the tools we work with, not just add more pretty toys to it. 

For me this seems to be either issue of total negligence for the actual needs of customers, or somekind of issue in communicating. But this is a problem has a straigth forward solution that is easy to implment, so it can not be technical issue or lack of recources. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still relevant, i need this feature aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so damn tired to this.... 
..everytime I need solid color I have this 99% stuff. 

Please Adobe. Fix this. It should be very simple thing to disable something. 

khellstr_0-1653859219373.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will never be a task they prioritize I fear, we need to hope for an employee on that team to basically get to this on their own time. 😕
Dunno if there is some photoshop community where we could get a survey or petition going? Until we can show there are many of us affected by this it could be hard to get things moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@khellstr , what are you talking about? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

How exactly did you create the Layer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichlerit's not a setup problem, but a PS feature: the "alt+right click drag" shortcut to resize the brush (dragging left/right)

Everyone who uses PS to paint likes to use this shortcut since it's faster than hitting [[[ a bunch of times to make big changes (in my case professionally, so I get extra annoyed when I keep having to redo the work because I keep stumbling on this issue) - but if you drag up/down, it changes the opacity, which I'm sure most people don't want to do since they're already using a tablet pen with pressure sensitivity.

The thing is, since we're (unfortunately) not robots, it's impossible to drag the pen or mouse in a *PERFECT HORIZONTAL ANGLE*, so we end up getting slight, almost unnoticeable changes in opacity together with the resizing, which basically makes all of us want to throw all Adobe high executives out the window (nothing personal).

Please fix this? It's such a simple stupid thing that gets in the way, and also kind of surprising that a software with so many years of developing still has something as stupid as up/down PLUS left/right drag adjusting combo like this, we don't use a physical ruler to be able to be this accurate.

Solution suggestions:

• let us select which properties this shortcut affects in the Preferences menu - also with the option of "do nothing" (by far the best one)
  • locking initial direction when using the shortcut - if I start dragging right/left it will ONLY affect brush size, even if I drag up/down during
  • locking opacity changes in the toolbar (universal)
  • locking opacity changes in the brush settings (although it would be annoying to do this with every brush - still better than nothing)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if you drag up/down, it changes the opacity, which I'm sure most people don't want to do since they're already using a tablet pen with pressure sensitivity.

I use vertical for hardness and the problem with the movements does not seem to affect all users, anyway. 

Edit: … at least not all the time. 

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 15.54.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But varying hardness instead of opacity can be even more vicious or hard to fix. If you are trying to have sharp, opaque shapes, finding out you've made a bunch of blurry ones because you changed the hardness is a lot more of a pain to repaint than a correct shape with the wrong opacity.
I tried it but it was even more disruptive to my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ^, plus if the brush doesn't have a hardness option (basically if you're not using the standard PS round brush) the alt+RCdrag shortcut will default back to changing opacity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you made your case and you are apparently not allone with your irritation. 

But 27 votes in 6 years (not sure if the request carried over from feedback.photoshop.com) does not seem encouraging. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about that the opacity doesn't stay in 100% when using  CTRL+ALT+ RM drag to resize the brush. 

The image shows the result what happens when you paint 99% opacity. The surface that should be flat is mottled.
And only way to fix this is hand paint over evryhing, as all the other filling methods take accaount that opacity and you just can't get rid of it easily. 

This all is quite obivious if you read the whole thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the brushes (I use) don't have Hardness setting, so the Opacity is changed. 
And i would also like to keep my hardness as it is. 

IRC This is not firts time you came to give your same advices that doesn't help to this exactproblem. I can't read whole thread now, but I think all those cases are allready dealt in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to get upvotes on this site, most of the people who encounter this problem will probably just curse at it and not look it up or directly ask for new features. It took over 4 years of commenting on a similar thread for a spring-loaded tool issue, but we eventually got an employee to kindly make a fix for us. 🙂
The key is to make the thread known to other illustrators, it is all about finding the right avenues of communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you here to help or annoy users? You have "quite an attitude" 
If first, maybe time to move on then.... 

The problem exist and is has got more attention latyle (here). There can be many reasons for it to get "only" 27 votes in 6 years. For example, it is quite hard to find with google. And maybe a lot of people aren't just using this short cut feature much to resize brush 

I just hope this simple thing could be fixed as it should be quite straight forward. I don't want to hear multiple time same "good" advices how to circumvent this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and I have been using Photoshop more than 20 years, so I have been well aweare of the things that have been suggested here for a long time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Are you here to help or annoy users? You have "quite an attitude"«

@khellstr , are you addressing me? (In Feature Requests that is not displayed directly.)

If so: Have you ever tried unfollowing a six year old thread? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya its all about the opacity you must adjust it. was facing issue while designing this logo with opacity adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@khellstr I unfortunately would not assume that this is a very simple thing to do. Photoshop like some other original adobe products has a very old code base and it can get messy (not sure if that would be the case for this one task but it's a possibility), not mentionning the headaches of UI and adding new buttons to an already overcrowded environment and getting all of this approved by the team. It is work, it's just important for the employees to understand it's work that affect a bunch of illustrators and a lot more than it might seem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't be that difficult since they have already added an option to switch off brush roundness based on HUD vertical movement in preferences. That's one more tick box the need to add in the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My assumption that thist could be simple case technically is based on that there is alread possibility to change behavior from Opacity to Hardness. So there is a line of code somewhere which checks if it is "Opacity" then do X, If it is "Hardness" then do Y. So only thing neede to add there would be third option; "Nothing" which would do nothing. 

If Opacity/Hardness behavior is defined by Boolean, then that varialbe type should be changed. This would be probalby the hardest part. Which should not be hard, but I'm not a software developper .... 🙂  

In Preferences this could be set as Dropdown List instead of Toggle button. 
Vertical movement controls : Opacity / Hardness / Size / Nothing 

Downsite for this would be that list migth not fit the genral "theme" how preferences is set up now, as I don't see list used that way. 

But the approving etc, part might be biggest hurdly. There is probably quite high threasold to modify Preferences. 

Would be nice to know how hard it would be to create a script that would keep opacity at 100% all the time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If so: Have you ever tried unfollowing a six year old thread? "

If you are answering 6 years old thread, maybe you could check what you said at the first time so you don't just repeat the same exact things you said already and was told why they don't work as a solution: 

khellstr_0-1654014284101.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are answering 6 years old thread, maybe you could check what you said at the first time so you don't just repeat the same exact things you said already and was told why they don't work as a solution:

I apologize for not attentively re-reading the original post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem exist and is has got more attention latyle (here). There can be many reasons for it to get "only" 27 votes in 6 years. For example, it is quite hard to find with google. And maybe a lot of people aren't just using this short cut feature much to resize brush 

If a Feature Request like 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-bring-back-quot-shake-reduction-quot-filt...

can get 46 votes within 2022 or

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-bring-quick-share-back-to-photoshop-remov...

can get 71 votes within 2022 I think 27 votes in 6 years would not seem to hint at great »popular demand«. 

How Feature Requests are evaluated and prioritized at Adobe is naturally not visible to outsiders but I suspect these numbers would matter to some extent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found a workaround:

1. install AutoHotkey (free open source good stuff)

2. wherever you want click New -> AutoHotkey script

3. copy in this below the text already there: 

~Alt::
MouseGetPoS,,Y
While (GetKeyState("Alt","RButton"))
{
MouseGetPoS,X,Y2
If (Y2 != Y)
MouseMove,%X%,%Y%,0
}
Return

4. save and run

it makes the dispalyed cursor jump around a bit with stylus when i do the resizing, but the actual sizing is smooth and and works for me 🙂 (i also remapped the windows key to mouserightclick with it autohotkey, so i can resize with win+alt+drag, if u wana do that too, make another file, and copy in LWin::RButton, save and run)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: sadly upon further usage i found instances where it didn't work properly and still accidentally changed the opacity, also the that code is not quite right, as it locks horizontally just by pressing alt, which would also be the colorpick, so i'm sorry it's not really a solution after all, tho aoutohotkey is still a nice tool

Votes

Translate

Translate