• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Auto-Save/Recovery function

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't PS have an autosave function? Every time the application crashes, i lose a work of mine, which i've been practicing for hours.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012
Auto-Save is a feature of Photoshop CS6. Check out the Photoshop CS6 beta here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate
49 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please pleeeeeeeease add a recovery feature to photoshop!!! I know i am not the only one, but many times there are unfortunate accidents, whether it be a power outage or some other form of misfotrune, and the program closes. Please add a recovery feature found in text programs or such where one can continue where they left off. This would be the BEST feature yet, thank you. - Harold Cruz

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance that Photoshop could start auto-saving to a temporary file periodically so if your laptop/computer/etc crashes or gets trampled in an elephant stampede, you don't lose everything you've worked on for hours/days? Microsoft Office does it. Google Chrome does it. Please make it a default background program.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a bad luck to see the new auto-save/recovery feature at work already, and I must say that I feel much secure now! It automatically restore my work when I opened PS after a restart.

However, there is still one thing that doesn't leave my mind.

The image is being backed up into a single file over and over. What if the computer freezes when that recovery file is being updated? That will probably mean that it will get corrupted...

Is it not too much if I ask you for one more step to further improve the protection?

Please allow us to specify a number of recover files 1-5 which would be saved in a loop one after another in a set time interval.

For example I specified 2 recovery files and a 10 min interval. After 10 mins the backup would be saved into file *01, after 20 mins into file *02, after 30 mins, again into file *01 etc.

That would make it crash proof for certain. And we would also have a selection of backup states if we need to go a step back.

Thank you!
Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe does this, they shouldn't save multiple files, but instead save the original file, and then only add the changes from version to version, much like that one feature in ZFS, that I can't for the life of me remember the name of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called journaling and Adobe said they refuse to do it because of the structure of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that blows. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd prefer full multiple files which can be easily opened manually if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has no backup or storage, I get incredibly irriated bu this and really annoyed when I have to redo even slight things.

It has a temporary file, which is big enough but we are unable to open it to retrieve its precious contents.

I do save my work regularly, very regularly actually but there are times you don't back up and you can have some form of error or power outage which is unexpected and it wipes out a fair deal of work.

As a games artist, this concerns me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-Save is a feature of Photoshop CS6. Check out the Photoshop CS6 beta here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a few paint and video programs that have a feature that Photoshop does NOT have and last night, I had wished it was available. I worked for 3 hours last night on an image in Photoshop, and one of the filters froze on me. That caused Photoshop to shut right down and I lost all that work, but not before I took a screen shot first to at least salvage the image in some form. Photoshop SHOULD have an "Auto Save" feature so if it crashes for any reason, the last piece you worked on is saved. In this day and age, we should not have to keep reminding ourselves to save our work, when the program is perfectly capable of doing that for us. Please take my suggestion into consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I worked for 3 hours last night on an image in Photoshop, and one of the filters froze on me.«
Working for three hours without saving once does seem a peculiar choice.
Anyway, as Mr.Tranberry noted the public beta of Photoshop CS6 is available and might benefit you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a solution for older versions - CS5, CS4, CS3 .... http://www.saveps.com - smart application to automatically save files in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a solution for older versions - CS5, CS4, CS3 .... http://www.saveps.com - smart application to automatically save files in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ENTIRE point, is Adobe should make use of Apples API if available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not even remotely the point. The users want certain functionality, across multiple platforms. They don't want a restrictive and incomplete solution that only works on one platform (and then only if Adobe rewrites their document model into something that doesn't make sense for an image editor).

Apple's API is intended for simpler applications, not something large or complex like Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that include automatic presets saving too? If so... drool! If not... *pout*

That's one of my gripes... you need to shut down Photoshop to save your presets in the preset menus... and that's a pain in the butt if you are making a ton of brushes/patterns and they crash *with* your unsaved file. Even if the file is saved, it's still hard to have to recreate them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it only applies to documents in CS6. Photoshop still saves all preferences on exit. But you can always save presets yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awww, but that's annoying.
I posted this 2 months ago and another Adobe employee said it was possible with background save:
"2. Protect History/ New Presets in the event of a crash. (How much history in the event of a crash could be settable as well). "

Preferences crash too. I had a recent wipe out where Photoshop couldn't find the preferences file upon start up and I thought everything was fine when I closed it, but the file got corrupted. That meant I had to redo the brushes that I'd originally put there, and restore all of the presets, which is a pain in the butt, since there is no external file to save those preferences (Say like workspaces, or the shortcut ones) I also find restoring them even if I backed them up properly to be annoying. You got to go through all the folders in the folder structure and remember 5 files+ to find and then you have to recreate the ones you lost and cry over the rest. I spent a good hour redoing my work and I wasn't happy because I thought that I had it saved.

I think there would be four solutions to this (Check box option for whichever):
1. Save the preset preferences to a separate file upon defining the preset. Sure may take up some time, but better than crashing and seeing that hard work go down the drain.
So it would save to something like the workspaces thing. (Which, BTW, did not get corrupted with the grand preferences crash.)
2. Include it into the auto-save feature so that preferences are preserved with the save. (Less desirable because preferences can and will crash/corrupt.)
3. Have the program/app save the brushes to an all/whatever the user chooses preset pack with the auto-save. (There is no all brushes pack anyway. I had to create one.)
4. The least desirable would be to include it with the workspaces with an option to do so. (Less visible UI and wouldn't be able to be saved often.)

Mostly auto-save is to protect from crashes... so I want good crash protection options.

Would Adobe consider doing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeeah, had this problem of corrupted preferences quite a few times. As well as preferences not being saved on a crash.
I do duplicate the file with preferences manually when I do any sufficient changes to it, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For auto-save of preferences, please enter a feature request. There may already be a similar request here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again I lost my work when a Thunderstorm caused a momentary power blackout, It would be great if PS had a hold function so in this case the site that was up would reload. Also, it would be nice to be able to close with work on the screen and have is auto save so it would be there when next opened. Is this possible? Probable? Realistic? Thanks, Would appreciate a return comment: stevebee@coastalnow.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Photoshop CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm working in a design firm, and adobe photoshop is one of the primary graphic application we are using. i believe that i wont be the first one to highlight this problem to Adobe but i want to emphasize and maybe it's about time now for Adobe to work on this autosave feature and back up feature. we have been experiencing a tremendous amount of complaint from our design staff that when the photoshop file crashes they have to redo all over again. adn without those feature Adobe photoshop is becoming inefficient. we all hope Adobe can find a way to resolve this long overdue problem. thanks.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You may want to update to Photoshop CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate