• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: azerty keyboard shortcut for \ (backslash- show and hide overlay mask) - make it assignable

Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2628101

I am having an issue with displaying layer overlay, as I am working on a WIN10, PS CC machine, but I am based in Belgium (and using azerty keyboard) and therefor, I cannot reach the \ shortcut.  For me, that is ALT GR+<, which PS does not recognize.  It is driving me crazy! I have read articles and understand the menu shortcut is hidden (that is why I have just spent the last hour searching for it in vain, before I found this article).

I have also had to change "change brush size" in order to use my wacom intuos pro tablet some years ago (from "[" or "{" and "]" or "}" to "(" and ")". Does someone know how I can display the mask overlay (in ruby red, as Adobe calls it) for my machine?  Reading the above, I don't fancy changing my keyboard just for PS and having to change it afterwards every time, as I often switch between browsing, emails, PS and LR.

My question is thus : Make the backslash key for showing/hiding the mask overlay assignable to another key in Photoshop.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

4.5M

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Hi @rodrigo.folch the team is aware of this issue but it has not been resolved yet.

Thank you,

Cory

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remapping the key in windows isnt the kind of fix i'm after, as i use the key for multiple other program and whilst im working it suddenly changes my brush to clear. I just want to change it in Adobe Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some Photoshop Shortcut key can not be resigned. If you open Edit keyboard  Shortcuts and expand everything in there so that you can see all that shortcut can be assigned keyboard shortcut to none have been assigned "~" as a shortcut. You will also find that you can not set "~" as a shortcut to override or replace the existing "~" shortcut the exist in Photoshop. You will get a message that  "`" is an invalid shortcut if you try.   The are many shortcut programmed into photoshop that can not be changed or disabled.  Adobe has not provided a feature to change them only what you see in Edit Keyboard Shortcuts can be changed by users.  You can not change the ~ shortcut. You can use an old version of Photoshop that does not have that new ~ shortcut programmed in.  You can submit a feature request to Adobe on their feedback site Photoshop Family 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Interesting", that after years, Adobe still doesn't seem to care about users with non-american keyboards... Just like many other things lately: Seems they try really hard to lose market position #1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this has been addressed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know.

I was really looking forward to this feature and still not using it. Please share updates if you find a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is honestly baffling that this issue hasn't been fixed for FIVE MONTHS. Something as simple as changing a shortcut key! How can an international company as big as Adobe be this careless about customers from non US countries? I'm seeing similar reports with non-functioning shortcuts in other Adobe applications and that they continue to just ignore that not every country has the same keyboard layout is honestly beyond me. This function is effectively unsusable for everyone without a Tilde key on their keyboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no solutions... no way to change the shortcut... no way to replace... no answers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of many such issues that localized users are facing.

Moreso, AZERTY kb users can't change brush or layer opacity with the top row of the keyboard, can't target a channel with CMD+numbers, can't target the layer mask with CMD+\ , can't select the next or previous layer via KBSC, making actions writing very difficult...

Plus the countless issues in the KBSC documentation.

Plus the fact that many "menuless" items are therefore not available in the KBSC editor, makes the experience terrible for localized advanced users.

I'm gonna write a medium post, as the list is simply too long, and it might help you fight our case to the program managers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here, many shortcuts are not available to non qwerty keyboard users, when working with the english version of Photoshop. Hardcoding keyboard shortcuts sound like a poor design decision, maybe worth a rewrite ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar problem is, that you can't use the shortcuts to change clone source rotation or clone source magnification on a non-US-keyboard.

Originally I thought this was due to old/anachronistic coding and won't happen again.

Now with this fairly new tilde ~ keyboard shortcut (which could be really useful to have!), I'm just baffled, that Adobe AGAIN failed to do the keybinding in a flexible way. AGAIN it's only working on US-keyboards/systems.

The problem itself is annoying (I would like to have all those options available on a non-US-system).

But the whole approach, the standards of programming etc.... it's just unbelievable low programming sills/standards. It's worse than a first-year-approach of a beginning computer science student. And disgusting, that Adobe not even bothers to address this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is my nightmare right now as I have a Finnish keyboard and for me as well, the tilde is not working.

I opted for Plan B, which was to assign my own shortcuts for Paintbrush blending mode > Clear, however I can't find where to set the shortcut for this. The panel is called "Options" which you can turn on and off (right above Tools in the Window menu), however when you go to shortcuts, there is no drop down for "Options" panel, nor can I find it anywhere. (and it is on the option panel that we see the blending mode drop down). The default short cut for switching between normal and clear paintbrushes is SHIFT + ALT + R and SHIFT + ALT + N but those are way too tedious and slow to change. I want to set something super simple. Does anyone know where the heck to change the blending mode shortcuts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dmohr   Any news on this? Would really appreciate some help. No workaround for azerty keyboard users. Can't program my Wacom either 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uren heb ik al gespendeerd om toetsencombinaties te vinden op mijn mac met azerty toetsenbord!

Het zou mooi zijn mochten die toestellen in het vervolg ook de juiste toetsen bevatten, een mac kost immers wel wat.

Shortcuts werken ook niet altijd, en ik hoop dat die welke ik hier vond wel zullen werken in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my UK keyboard. I managed to get around it by assigning Alt+Shift+r to one of the function buttons on my Intuos Pro with Alt+Shift+n on the button above it to return to normal paintbrush. Works much better than constantly trying to find key combinations.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm merging this thread with another one on the topic, please vote on top of the discussion if you need that function! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm merging this thread with a feature request for more customizeable shortcuts. Please vote on top of the thread to ask for that function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm merging this discussion with an existing feature request. 

Please remember to vote on top to ask for that feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guten Tag. I'm merging this thread with a feature request to be able to get localized shortcuts, or at least be able to customize them. Please vote if you are affected bu the lack of said feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm merging this thread with an existing feature request, please vote on top of the merged thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said in the title, the keyboard shortcut tilda (`) for the brush doesn't work on International Keyboards (QWERTY), as the tilda key is a dead key on the International version of the QWERTY.

Dead key makes that when pressing it, Windows awaits for the next input to complete the entry, therfore making the shortcut non usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, keyboard shortcuts in photoshop on macbook m1pro periodically work incorrectly. The virtual keyboard shows that the combination is correct, but in reality, command + z works instead of saving option+command+S

It's confusing

Video attached

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Тарас24429919smgr, curious if you have tried any fixes shown here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/keyboard-shortcuts-stop-photoshop-mac.html

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a reset, no result. There are no specified applications with which problems were observed either.
The error is random, but very often observed when the keyboard layout is not English. In the virtual keyboard, you can see that the combination of characters is correct, but in Photoshop it works quite differently. I did not notice other errors in combinations only in saving the file. Looks like photoshop has a bug since my version is not english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is there any progress in the original issue, @CoryShubert or  @David Mohr  ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since discovering this thread I've been building a plugin that can solve this issue of making certain keys and shortcuts available to users with a non- American keyboard.

You can check out the recently released beta version of the plugin for Windows PC in this video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9yU3Rb46SU

I'm looking for people to test it and provide feedback that will guide the development of the plugin. Learn more about the plugin here and download it

Votes

Translate

Translate