• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: azerty keyboard shortcut for \ (backslash- show and hide overlay mask) - make it assignable

Contributor ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2628101

I am having an issue with displaying layer overlay, as I am working on a WIN10, PS CC machine, but I am based in Belgium (and using azerty keyboard) and therefor, I cannot reach the \ shortcut.  For me, that is ALT GR+<, which PS does not recognize.  It is driving me crazy! I have read articles and understand the menu shortcut is hidden (that is why I have just spent the last hour searching for it in vain, before I found this article).

I have also had to change "change brush size" in order to use my wacom intuos pro tablet some years ago (from "[" or "{" and "]" or "}" to "(" and ")". Does someone know how I can display the mask overlay (in ruby red, as Adobe calls it) for my machine?  Reading the above, I don't fancy changing my keyboard just for PS and having to change it afterwards every time, as I often switch between browsing, emails, PS and LR.

My question is thus : Make the backslash key for showing/hiding the mask overlay assignable to another key in Photoshop.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

4.5M

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Hi @rodrigo.folch the team is aware of this issue but it has not been resolved yet.

Thank you,

Cory

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other europeen kyboards too   QWERTZ for Switzerland MAC an PC.... please....
Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Robert / I agree that it would be wonderful to be able to assign keys. For right now, if you want a backslash \ you can produce one via your keyboard *numberpad* Using Alt + numberpad 92
as you can see in this table
https://theasciicode.com.ar/extended-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Robert,

This actually came up in a meeting just yesterday.  I just fowarded this thread to all the attendees.  I've also written a feature request for this particular instance.  Hopefully, we can get it addressed soon.

That said, I INVITE more user stories to show why this is important to fix (and give me ammo to make that happen).

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, look in this forum all requests for the same problem for all keys that are not available on other than the... American QWERTY keyboards. ------[]  <>etc... And this for all Adobe software, this is a real problem for us... Among other things when one wishes to use a WACOM Tablet where shortcuts for functions are needed to define the workings. Then please send a good team and solve these problems once!

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also the issue of keyboard shortcuts in dialogs/the Properties Panel. 

In Selective Color Adjustments (and Adjustment Layers) one could select Whites, Neutrals and Blacks via shortcut before the composite shortcut was changed to cmd-2, now one apparently can only select them manually. 

Which is naturally inconvenient. 
So I would like those shortcuts to become editable, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have any of you tried an external QWERTY keyboard?
It should work parallel with your regular keyboard. It will on a. PC.
Check this out at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EOWBHC/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2019 Aug 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David,

I'm french and I do have an issue with your \ shortcut aka the masking preview or Rubylith preview.
My photoshop tells me to type CTRL + \ but this shortcut does NOT work, because on azerty keyboards, you have to type ALT GR + \ to get that \ sign. And Photoshop does NOT recognize CTRL + ALT GR + \.

This is an important issue because a huge number of users all over the world cannot use this shortcut (probably happens with other shortcuts...).

Could you please let us assign this shortcut in shortcuts preference as a workaround ?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anmerkung 2019-11-04 210901.jpg

Als jemand, der Photoshop viel zum Malen benutzt, habe ich mich sehr über dieses neue Tastenkürzel in Photoshop 21.0.0 gefreut - das hat mir schon lange gefehlt. Leider, leider ist es auf der "Tilde-Taste" jedoch völlig nutzlos, denn diese gibt es auf einer deutschen Tastatur nicht. Für das ~ Zeichen müssen wir "alt gr" und "+" drücken, was in Photoshop einfach nur in das Bild zoomt. Ich konnte in den Tastenkürzel-Einstellungen nichts finden, um diese Funktion auf ein anderes Tastenkürzel zu legen.
Scheint so, als hätte man hier wohl vergessen, dass verschiedene Tastatur-Layouts existieren?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a key for this yet with the German keyboard, but it has been brought to Adobe's attention and they are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought, thank you for your response and I'm glad to hear that 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new feature for toggle brush and erase needs the "Tilde". On a german keyboard (Mac) it is combined with alt+n. But "alt" triggers the color picker. I couldn't find the shortcut in the keyboard shortcut panel. Where can I change the shortcut "~" to (for example) "^"? The symbol on the same position on a german keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been reported to Adobe, and they are working on a fix for it. Hopefully they will have it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tilde is a damned shorcut. I cant find the way to change the shorcut to the new erase brush in the keyboard shorcut preferences...

Please fix or help us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html
>New Shortcuts
>Paint and erase with the same brush
>Use the ~ tilde key (below the escape or Esc key) to toggle between painting and erasing with the same brush tip.

The above does not work properly.

On the Japanese keyboard layout, the below the "Esc" key is the "E/J" key.
"E/J" key is used for Japanese input.
Pressing "E/J" switches to erase but does not return to paint.

When I enter Japanese, it switches to erase without permission and is in trouble.

Photoshop 2020(21.0.2) (Winows10 64bit Japanese)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No problem with US keyboard, can you do "へ" with JIS keyboard?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Tilde" key on "Windows JIS keyboard" does not work.

photoshop_tilde_JISKeyboad.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

プロファイルを見たら日本の方ですね、日本語キーボードでの質問なら日本語で質問した方が、日本のユーザーが見つけやすいかと思います。残念ながらJISキーボードは使ったことがないのでこれ以上はわかりません。

先頃も日本語キーボードでは「Waving Effect、Tilde Trick」が出来ないという質問がありましたが、その後出来たという返答はありません。

もしかするとそもそも日本語キーボードでは出来ないことなのかもしれません。

How do I use Tilde key function in illustrator from Japanese keyboard?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/how-do-i-use-tilde-key-function-in-illustrator-from-japan...

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with everybody else in this thread, The absence of shortcuts is particulary annoying for those of us who do not use and american qwerty keyboard (And since the keyboard is one of the largest footprints on the physical desktop, a second keyboard is not practicable  .... quite apart from the confusion as to which keyboard you are currently using!)  And as with one of the other folks here, if you are using a tablet not having keyboard shortcuts means taking you eye off what you are doing in order to invoke functionality from a drop down menu -> massive productivity/creativity hit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two months later and still no update regarding the draw/erase function being unusable on a German keyboard? =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 
Indeed, all the keyboard shortcut system is #$@# !
It's bad to say, but this is something that's way beter on Gimp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I was wondering if this is possible? I've had a look in redefine key settings and can't seem to find anything for it. Can it be done by editing a notepad document or something?

All the keys I use I have clustered around the F key which still allows me to reach the modifiers but the tilde is just too far for my pinky to reach without moving my whole hand.

Hopeful, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not undrstand what is the problem. Which Adobe software is in question? What exactly you are trying to do, can you try one more time to explain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what it might be:

>https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html
>New Shortcuts
>Paint and erase with the same brush
>Use the ~ tilde key (below the escape or Esc key) to toggle between painting and erasing with the same brush tip.

I'm not sure the tilde key can be reassigned,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to remap this key as it interferes with my workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate