• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Better Preset Organization (sub-folders, tag, search)

Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love a better way to organize brushes, shapes, and styles. Perhaps a way to tag them, then search or sort by tag.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Photoshop now supports organizing Brushes, Swatches, Gradients, Shapes and Patterns into groups and sub-groups! You can also search for all of these preset types.

Enjoy and let us know any feedback you have!

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019
Individual panels and groups were added to most presets in Photoshop 2020: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html#improved-presets-desktop

More to come!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

In Photoshop CC 2018:

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 257 Replies 257
257 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether or not you get separate entries in the recent list after changing the brush size depends on whether or not the brush preset you picked has the size included. If it does not, then you will only get one entry in the recent list regardless of how many different sizes you use the brush at (like you're asking for).

Is creating and using brush presets that don't capture the size an option for you? If not, why do you want to include the size in the brush preset but not care about the size in the recent list (or are you using factory presets or presets from other users that have the size captured)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ordered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man its been 6 years and they still havent added subfolders to the tool preset menu. Seems like such a simple solution given what the program can do. I have drawing tools, texture tools and painting tools that are all in a mish mash main folder. What I wouldnt give to be able to hide the ones i'm not using while the other ones are open without loading a whole different set as I flip back and forth between drawing and painting tools quite often.   http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/4590406.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been waiting/ hoping for subfolders for presets for a very long time.It would be also nice to have better organization for camera profiles aw well. I'd love to have subfolders e.g.: Year> Jobnumber> Camera Profiles
Pretty much the same with presets.
This would help a lot and tons of speed for LR please.

The ability of syncing between two machines would help too. 

Cheers, Dan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and navigation through folder and presets using the arrow keys
would speed up the workflow too. 

Please consider this too and tons of speed for LR.

Cheers, Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Photoshop have a search function for all the brushes I have? as more brushes are added to Photoshop, it's a nightmare to find the brushes I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new organization update for Brush Panel in 2018 is great, love it. Now I find myself keeping more and more brushes in my set, making it harder and harder to find the brush I want. If there was a search bar it would make workflow smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it would be great to group selected brushes. A search function for the Brushes would also be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC 2018:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys completely floored me. This is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! I can not thank you enough. This new version of photoshop is simply a game changer. Great job guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over here the search pop up does not show brush categories or names, nor open them in brush panel. it seems it can't access them. It only finds basic tools, brush, pencil etc, or filters.
Typing palette knife will only show the filter and no brush or tool preset with that name.
In contrast Corel Painter's search bar will show brush variants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreams of having a Search Bar in the Brush Panel

Hello,

I'd like to start with ..Wow I love the CC 2018 and 2019 releases. Amazing work to everyone on the Photoshop team!

I would also like to make a request for the brush panel to include a search field. 

Ideally (if it is possible), I would love for the search field to be able to restrict what brushes are visible when the search field is used. For example - If I used a specific naming convention at the beginning of my brush names to identify what they are used for like 'Chalk', 'Oil', or something more general like 'Blockout' or 'reTouch'. After the search was used, the brush panel would then only display the brushes that the word(s) in its naming convention.

I think it would also be nice to not only search by name but also to have the option to toggle the search from 'brush name' to 'brush type'. In that, one could search for all of their smudge or mixer brushes and the panel would then only display the brushes of that category.

- While I am thinking of it I think it would be super spiffy if the brush panel could have some split window functionality. Specifically, I am hoping for the brush panel to have the ability to keep locked a portion of the top part of the panel so that you can keep available brushes that you are constantly working with. While still being able to scroll through the rest of your brush library in the remaining lower portion. Perhaps it could be a special function of a group folder. After you group some of your favorite brushes you could lock them down so that they don't move when you scroll or search in the brush library.

The 'Outliner' panel in Autodesk's 3D modeling software 'Maya' has a handy split window functionality in that you can drag a divider up from the bottom of the panel to maintain focus on a portion of the panel and use the other half to scroll through the list.

Oooh! and perhaps... it would be possible to select a color for the brushes group folder just like you can for layers. That would make it much easier to visually separate sets of dedicated brushes. 

Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Photoshop,

In the Layers panel, there is a great feature that enables the user to tag a Color Label (No Color, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Grey) to a specific Layer for easy recognition and organization, independent of Folder structure. 

Can you PLEASE add the same feature to the list of Brushes?

When sorting through brushes, I'm not ready to commit to separating my brushes into separate Folders to help organize. If I could quickly tag a brush as Blue (for example) representing the last used brush, then when returning to my file a week layer after working on other projects, I'll easily be able to find my brush. OR, I could tag all my favourite Splatter brushes Orange, without removing them from their specific location in the Brush Pack downloaded from Adobe. This way I'd always be able to see my favourite splatter brush, but also see its similar ones right beside it. 

Having Folders AND Colour Tags (like in the Layers panel) as a way to visually organize Brushes will be a huge time saver. Please consider.

Anyone else agree?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very nice I agree. though I have brushes in folders. It would be nice to color tag those that I use most commonly to remember where to find them. Or when working on a specific project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding color would be nice and helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the idea of tagging the brushes.

Further, being able to select a brush with the function keys would be nice, even if you had to set it up as an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please add a search bar in brushes panel? so that we can search a specific brush by it's name faster instead of looking through all these brushes back and forth as an illustrator is really time consuming . For example if i searched for leafs or water brush to find all the options i have appeared. Like there is search in the text tool for fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I liked the addition of folder groups for brushes added in Photoshop CC 2018. I was hoping that the same feature would have been added for styles in Photoshop CC 2019. However, that did not happen.

I was amazed that the same feature was not implemented for all preset types in Photoshop CC 2019. I thought for sure that this feature would have been extended to everything else.

I have a ton of styles and right now, I am dividing the categories by a blank style. That helps a little, but it still can be hard to find what I am looking for because it is still one big list of styles when it all boils down.

It would be MUCH easier to have folders or groups for styles and other presets (patterns, shapes, etc). It would help a lot for those who have a lot in their Photoshop.

When you created that feature in CC 2018, and not extend it to other custom content in CC 2019, how could something so obvious be overlooked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider adding the ability to color tag favorite brushes and/or adding a search field. We do have the option of creating a separate group of favorites, but I would rather be able to keep them in their category folder and see them next to the other similar options. Hiring Kyle Webster was a good move and I would imagine brush use and the quantity of brushes will really grow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a little search bar that appears at the top of the tools presets to help you find a certain brush much faster. It's great being able to categorise groups of brushes into subfolders, but once you have 300+ brushes it can still be a slog to find a particular brush. I feel that a search bar would be a simple and elegant solution to this problem I'm constantly having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Individual panels and groups were added to most presets in Photoshop 2020: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html#improved-presets-desktop

More to come!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Give us a brush name search field, please Adobe.

I did not find any topics about this. I believe I am not the only one who has troubles here. I have seen even Kyle Webster himself having problems finding a specific brush when you have dozens (or hundreds) brushes to search from.

Regards

Jari Hakala

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @JeffreyTranberry, 3 years ago, you mentioned : 

Invoking search Edit > Search (cmd + f) will also search brushes and reveal them the new Brushes panel (Edit: sorry, mis-spoke, this part wasn't added in 19.0)

It's now 21.2.4, is there any news from that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Preset search is currently being pursued.

Votes

Translate

Translate