• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Curve adjustment graph dialog size is tiny. Please make it bigger.

Mentor ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Curve Adjustment properties dialog can be scaled somewhat, but it is still tiny on larger screens running a higher resolution. In Gimp, PhotoLine, and other image editors the curves graph can be scaled up to the actual screen size, if needed.

Please make the curves graph more responsive in regards to dialog scaling. The graph is so small, making it harder than it needs to be to work with, and very difficult for precise adjustments.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
37 Comments
Mentor ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think they have that planned for CC2025...

and hey, if it was good enough for 1992, it's good enough for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly support this suggestion.  The curves graph is so small, it's difficult to adjust accurately.  At least make it as big as it is in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that you can resize the one in PS? At its largest size, it's the same size as the one in ACR...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The small size of the curve adjustment tool has been an inconvenience to me for quite a while. Even at it's largest setting, it just isn't big enough to use easily on modern displays.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with this. The Curve Adjustment tool should be flexible and scaleable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As screen pixels got smaller over the last few years, the histogram and curves interface are getting a bit harder to use. Even at maximum size, I struggle to make fine adjustments. Let's have the interface scale to the full size of the palette instead of being limited like they are currently.

Thanks!
MH

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years since the original post.  It still sucks.  I'm starting to think Adobe just hates us all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really handy on occasion to be able to expand the curves control to be a large graph, to allow finer control. 

It is already usefully possible to do this for the gradient tool, and the flyout control can be enlarged for the curve tool etc, but the tool itself remains tidy.  It is a shame to have a posh high res screen but not be able to make use of it for accuracy everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curves are my #1 tool; I use it for everything from controlling levels to color grading. Would really appreciate being able to scale it up as big as I want it.

Ditto for layer styles contour graphs where I might want to use pretty intricate falloff curves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to suggest that the curves histogram in the Properties panel be made responsive.  This way, if you expand the size of the panel, the histogram would grow proportionately, and allow for easier mouse use when fine tuning of points on the curves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, massive curves window on Lightroom for iPad, but anyway to do this in the core Photoshop program? This drives me insane. Why [removed by moderator] isn't this responsive in 2022. Did I miss something?

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 13.27.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the point of your question? 

Since finger touch has a large area of contact with the screen, usually all interface elements that require positioning accuracy are increased for mobile devices. On a computer, as a rule, we work not with a finger, but with the help of positioning devices - a mouse or a stylus, the resolution of which makes it easy to control the position of the cursor on the screen with pixel accuracy.  If the graph seems too small for you and you need increased accuracy, you can enter point values manually or control their position from the keyboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A larger Curves graph would be nice.

But for practical purposes, the current maximum size is OK. For one thing, the current maximum size of the graph already gives you maximum possible precision. Because the number of levels Photoshop lets us control is 256 (even with 16 bpc images), and the graph is already 256 pixels wide or tall at maximum size, so at that size you already have control over every accessible level with the mouse.

Yes, a one-pixel drag in Curves is a pain, and that is a good reason for Adobe to make the graph bigger. But for the last 20 years or so it has already been possible to make a one level (one pixel) adjustment, by using the arrow keys to nudge a selected curve point in the graph or its value beside the graph.

I doubt Adobe is against a bigger graph; more likely it isn’t close enough to the top of the list of their priorities. Upvoting this Idea can help, although whether or when they implement a request depends on many factors in addition to votes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you may wish to return to the 90's to the old style modal curves window, with this free panel from @Davide_Barranca 

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.727.floating-adj.html

https://www.cc-extensions.com/plugins/floating-adjustments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that the maximum size of the graph in the curves panel pixel by pixel is equal to the size of the graph in the modal window 🙂

2022-01-13_23-53-46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your issue that you are using a touch screen, and finding it difficult to precisely place a point on the tonal value you need?

Do you have an option of using a stylus? 

What device are you using?

What is the screen size and resolution?

Would you be any better setting the UI to 200%?   I have never likeed using Photoshop on anything other than a desktop with a decent monitor size, and nowadays I'd hate to have to use anything other than the 32 inch main with two 24 inch screens for the workspace.  Having said that, I can't remember ever having an issue with the size of the Adjustment layer properties panels.

Two possible options come to mind. One is to use the wee hand icon, which I think you might be doing already.  The other is to fine tune the point placement via the Input value beneath the curve window

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that it resized/scaled. Oh well, shows how good my memory is! :]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest that Targeted (On-Image) Adjustment Tool, but when I tried it, it seemed like the actual range of dragging is not any more than in the Curves panel itself. For example, if an image is on a large display and you start dragging up from the center of the image, the range of control doesn’t extend all the way up to the top of the image or the window. It tops out the value of that curve point well within the image, close to the center, and the total drag range within which you could actually change things looked about the same as the Curves panel graph.

Seems like it should be able to use the entire image area for more control, which is the same idea as the feature request this thread started with for the Curves panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some irony, is that the old-school curves modal, once, had two (or even three) size options, and at the same time, it was possible to collapse, completely unnecessary open for all the time, the "options", which are now displayed all the time and just waste space on the screen .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjustment.jpgAdjustment scale fix.jpgProperties.jpgProperties fix.jpg

Is there any room for improvement on this? I personally have very poor eyesight.

Regardless of window UI scaling, certain tabs in Photoshop have limitations in increasing the size of the tabs. I can't really see it.

The size of the tab changes to fit the size of the tab, but it stays fixed beyond a certain point. But people like me who have poor eyesight often ask for something bigger and clearer.

I can't say it's necessary. Because I've been working in a state that I can't see well for over 10 years. But there are many people who have eye problems like me who are experiencing Photoshop. For them, this small improvement would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I needed.In fact, I see my face as close to the monitor as possible because the icons on the curve tab or the adjustment tab are so small every day.(Almost distance between the monitor and the eye is 10cm?)

I live with glasses, but I can't see them well. I want you to watch it bigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if this could be fixed. Some people say. Each interface in Photoshop works according to the OS magnification setting
Then why can I expand the Color tab as much as I want regardless of the resolution of 4k, 2k, and fhd?
This is reported on the Ideas tab, but it seems to be actually a bug. I want to see the curve adjustment widely even though I use the wide working environment of 4k. And people who draw are using color tabs so well.
However, because the adjustment tab is not resized as expected due to a bug, you need to semi-force resolution or scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're quickly approaching 2025 and no sign of these tiny curves windows getting any bigger 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. Voted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Adobe,

6 years at your job for this and 11 for Lightroom Classic. What the actual [blank] is up. It's inconceviably irrational for you to drop a massive curve panel on iPad then screw your entire core user base with zero commitment to Photoshop and Lightroom core utilities, instead chasing all the AI 'fun tools' that don't truly provide professional solutions.

Pay attention to your core offering. I hate this company in it's current state and hope whatever acquistion comes next gets barred as you aren't honorable enough to be conjoined to the next victim.

Votes

Translate

Translate