• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Custom brushes organization/sub-menus

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we have a custom brushes quad menu to access customizable sub folders.
Please see discussion regarding custom brushes here:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/6084985

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018
Brush Presets folders and subfolders are a feature in the current version of Photoshop CC (19.x or later)

Votes

Translate

Translate
60 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These changes need to happen! Adobe, hear us out!! I fully support you guys!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reuse the same shortcuts saved to different Workspaces. Or the same basic Workspace named according to the shortcuts saved with it. Try it. It works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, the menus here are meant as an example and are at the smallest size thus looking a bit cluttered. In practice the same Stroke mode window would look something like this
http://bit.ly/1c9Cswc

Image is not available

That is why i suggest resizing and autofold options. It looks quite tidy to me and folders are a simple and long needed addition.

Dont get me wrong I love gavriils ideas and a filtering system would be great, im just trying to be realistic as to how many new windows, panels and functions we can realistically request.

Additionally I have a bit of an issue with the tagging system, though it is great it will force users to go through a long, slow process of accurately tagging every single brush for them to show up in the filters

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the brush system being revamped but another thing that I hope adobe tweek up is the amount of undos that you can make. I find it really a pain in the arse to be limited to only one undo and constantly going back to the history palet in order to go back a few steps.

What do you guys think about it?

Cheers!

Johny C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solves your problem: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/phot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We absolutely need to have this. While sketching and trying to get the concept down asap, scrolling through 100 brushes isn't very efficient + It's a lot neater to have it all organized.

Cheers,
David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would really be very helpful for us digital artists. I hope this would be given a chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great to have all that support! wherever the interface will go towards, I am just glad everyone agrees there is a need, and I am sure adobe will provide! Any improvement will be an improvement on brushes organization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know this script that allows you to create custom thumbnails for selected number of brushes (or all of them). Photoshop brush stroke preview is not very good at visualizing what the brush will actually look like. You can of course use different stroke colors, text or draw a di*k in the thumbnail if that makes it easier to quickly pick the right brush. The script is called Brusher.

http://hundredsofsparrows.com/index.p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl Alt z or Cmd Opt z gives you as many 'undos' as you have history states set to. Shift z sends you all the way back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have thought a Pie-type menu an inefficient space user. It's like using a spiral stair case, where you can't tread near the center because it is too small. So only the outside is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PEC - nope, because we still need the context menu in the pickers.
We spent a good amount of time thinking through what needs to be available in the picker, but couldn't combine picking and management in the same UI due to lack of modifiers and lots of conflicts in interaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor - did you reply to the wrong post? That doesn't seem related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonas, The main issue with the solution you offer is not the logic (it makes a lot of sense, and I like the presentation of it) but it is the amount of clicks necessary in order to reach a specific brush, surface travelled and more importantly the lack of possibility for the maximum expansion possible in the future. Ideally we want a maximum of one to two clicks per selection and even better if just one click+hovering.
A folder system means more clicks, more distance to move the stylus, and depending on how many brushes you have, also having to use the scroll bar to see all of them. If you have the latest of zbrush, you may want to try it to experience what one click selection (plus one key at worse) feels like, and how liberating it is. And even more liberating is just a key assigning brush set or brush pop up. Plus the filtering option Gavriil offers allows for a huge amount of various sets without necessary loading all brushes at once, good for memory usage. Since we are talking about a redesign, the thing should be fully fleshed out and offer a fully thought system that allows for expansion so we do not just push the rock just a little further and complain about it in two years. I agree with the tagging, not sure I'd be up for it as an artist painting at home, but I could see on an entertainment project when I am at work, where it could be very useful especially when sharing assets with groups of artists. If we request something, might as well be the best we can, not just a temporary solution.

Also, top of the line, the pie menu is always a great thing to use as it makes everything second nature just after few hours of work, super intuitive and rapid, and complexity depends on the artist using it and does not limit future expansions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2014 Feb 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing which I guess might be on-topic to mention is that it doesn't seem to be possible to make panel features (with Adobe Configurator) nor actions controlling Brush panel features such as Shape Dynamics On/Off or Angle Control: ...
Or have I missed something?
Those things don't get recorded through actions. Would be very nice to be able to toggle Direction on and off for the current brush (and ideally without relying on the whole Shape Dynamics on/off as that would toggle every other sub-item and not just Angle Control).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, I understand your points and I'm familiar with ZBrush's system.

Don't entirely agree on your view about more surface traveling but ok,
the post is called Custom Brushes Sub-menus, so I thought that's what we were specifically talking about, ergo my two cents in simple organizing possibilities.

One-click systems or pies would be great though, let's see what Adobe comes up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title mentions "submenu", because that is the overall concept of the idea, whatever the solution may become.
Using literally a subfolder menu is actually a very "simplistic" approach for a solution, when the solution should be "simple".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'd like a brush manager that

1. lets you test out brushes on a canvas
2. has a list of the library with detailed info (names of brushes, size) and stroke previews like the current brush preset window
3. has a list of all installed libraries, with expandable lists of the brushes in them
4. has drag and drop capability to edit libraries without opening them.
5. lets you create/delete libraries
6. easily lets you create new brush tips and save them into a library all in the same ui

as it is now you have to open a library and then delete all the brushes you dont want from it to add the brush you do want to another library which is really annoying especially when you have big libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in favour of some reorganisation of CC's preset management but please let us not go down the Corel Painter route - the latest X3 brush management and tweaking are awful to use. That system looks chaotic and complicated, and is clumsy to work with. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

A small thing - but it would be nice if the name of the current Photoshop preset could be displayed as you use it - if you have made any changes to your preset brush it no longer appears highlighted in the drop down presets list and it is easy to forget which preset you started with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik, we do indeed speak of brushes here, but you should really post a separate request, and post the link here, as this thread deals more with presets organization, but I do like your idea very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without a doubt, there's a need for a Paint specific UI for Ps. The same is true for other Adobe CC apps such as Ai, Fl, and Ae. A shared UI would greatly enhance the ability for CC subs to jump from app to app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2014 Feb 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I wanted to point out this other related discussion on the topic: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Requesting an update to the preset manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate