• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Customize keyboard shortcut for creating a new layer

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I customize the keyboard shortcut for creating a new layer without the New Layer popup? It's now CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+N, which is pretty insane. At the same time CTRL+N is reserved for creating a new document, even though users arguably use it a lot less than creating a new layer.

Ideally I would change the shortcut for something even easier, like for example CTRL+< so I could create a new layer really quick with my left hand.

I tried Mike Chambers' CreateNewLayer-script, but either it doesn't work with CC 2015 or I don't have the skillz to make it work.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
25 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy APK,

You can manually change just about any keyboard shortcut that you would like.  Simply click Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts (or ALT+SHIFT+CTRL+K) and in the Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus dialog, locate the command you want to change and edit it.  When you're done, save your new shortcut preferences and you're golden!

Hope that helps -- please let us know if you need further assistance,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah well, apparently you cannot change that particular shortcut. At least I didn't find it. What I have found and can change is the shortcut for "New layer..." which brings up the New Layer popup. And that's not what I'm looking for.

Essentially, I'd like to change the shortcut for the "Create new layer" icon which is located in the footer of the Layers panel. Any help is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry APK, there are no shortcuts for icons/buttons.  Command menu commands (File, Edit, Image, etc) and Panel menu commands (Layer Panel > New Layer...) are fine, but actual graphical UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this 3rd party hacking software you can do it! 🙂 You can set "N" key for new layer. http://millionart.deviantart.com/art/...

Or you can buy like me this crazy mouse http://content.hwigroup.net/images/pr...

Another option is to record a "new layer without dialogue" as action and assign it a shortcut key. Only F2-F12 keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to re-assign CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+N to "new layer without dialog box"?
As you mention, David, the "new layer without dialog box" icon is not part of the Keyboard Shortcut dialog box options. 

I changed CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+N to something else among about 20 other shortcut modifications, and now the only way I can think of getting it back is to reset my shortcuts and re-do the other 19 that I want. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

set "ctrl + shift + n" for new layer with dialog. And alt key shorcut will be create automaticaly. Generaly alt key work like non-dialog option in many shourtcuts. But you can't change shortcut which is created this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Jaroslav Bereza! Solved my problem.

This actually happened cause I wanted to assign CTRL+SHIFT+N to "new smart object via copy" and keep CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+N for new layer without dialog box, but I guess that that's not possible out of the box. Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's not possible standart way. 

You can:
1) record it as action and assign custom shortcut to action ...but you can asign only F1-F12 keys with modificator
2) create custom script and assign custom shortcut to the script
3) 3rd party program. Autohotkey and similar. e.g. If Photoshop is active window and my shourtcut is pressed > send ctrl + alt + shift + n

You also can assign another letter for new layer without dialog. But "alt" key should not be used.

You also could be interested in this topic: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/could-adobe-provide-an-official-list-of-all-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'd like to bump this. I'd really like to be able to reassign creating a new layer without a dialogue box to cmd + n. I'm using a mini keyboard and due to some bindings I have set up I don't really have an alt key, so very frustrating with this workflow I have now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Braedon,
This doesn't need to be bumped; there's no bug here.  In the existing version of Photoshop, you can go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and change the shortcut under the Application Menu for the Layers menu > New command.  Check out the screenshot:
Hope that helps,David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, 
This does need to be bumped, there is a lacking feature here. Your original response to this post also did not respond to the correct question. I thought I made my original question clear enough, but here:

You are reading: "we would like to rebind the keyboard shortcut for making a new layer." 

However, what we are asking is: "is there a way to rebind the shortcut for creating a new layer without a dialogue box popup? (currently cmd + alt + shift + n)

I'd like to set it so that cmd+n (without having to press alt) will create a new layer without a dialogue box. To be very clear, I have attached an image of the dialogue box I am referencing that pops up when you create a new layer.

The reason I want this to happen without a dialogue box is because it is slow and annoying to have to press enter every time after I press the keyboard shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no shortcuts or commands for creating a new layer or document without a dialog.  That doesn't exist.
Unfortunately, there's nothing to bump here.  Creating option opens a dialog to make sure that the user wants all the current parameters.  As Jaroslav commented, you could create an action or script, as those do bypass the dialogs, but not in the normal operational mode.
Thanks,David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David. I realize there's nothing you can do for this and I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment and help people. However, I would like this thread to be bumped because this is an idea request forum and I'd like this feature to be added.

The vast majority of the time I am happy with the parameters that are currently defaulted in the dialogue box. It's insufficient to claim that checking to make sure the user wants the current parameters is reason enough to generate a dialogue box, they should be used only when there is significant reason to believe that they do not want the default or the options they're already using; every time you stroke a gradient photoshop doesn't come up with a dialogue box to double check to make sure your gradient is correct because it interrupts the workflow.

I would wager that, 99% of the time when making new layers, people want an empty / transparent layer set to normal. If I don't, I can grab the fill tool and fill it in quicker than I can move the mouse to change dialogue box settings.

I think that photoshop devs even agree with me since there is no dialogue when you click the new layer button (or at the very least there is a checkbox that you can hit so it doesn't generate one). 

A cursory search on the internet shows that a lot of people are interested in finding a way to create a new layer with a hotkey without a dialogue box:
https://planetphotoshop.com/create-a-new-layer-without-a-dialog.html
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/changing-default-new-layer-shortcut-without-dialog-box/td-p...
https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/5meijj/new_layer_without_dialog_shortcut/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lbLfyITVtE
https://www.eehelp.com/question/create-a-new-layer-without-dialogue-redefine-shortciut/
https://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/photoshop-layers-essential-shortcuts/

Look, ultimately this isn't a huge problem since a shortcut exists for it already, but it would be great to be able to rebind it! People use a huge diversity of setups, keyboards, operating systems and they have different ergonomic preferences. This is industry standard software, let professionals customize their workflow! 

If there is no way to do it through settings, I will look into the options presented above. In the meantime, I would like this thread open as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Braedon,

Thanks.  I appreciate it.

Actually, if a number people can share real-world workflows where such a change is important, I'd be totally happy to bring that back to the team or PM.  The key here is we want to do a zillion improvements -- which do users want more?  So hearing from multiple users, particularly those who share their details, is truly helpful getting work prioritized and vetted.

I'll craft a feature request from this, but more opinions and voices are always helpful.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if anyone know how to make Firefox post decent HTML responses, I'm all ears...8-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also true for me. In general, I believe that no problem would arise if the developers adhered to the rule: if there is a function or tool, they should be able to assign hotkeys. If there is a function that works in some other way (for example, bypassing the opening of dialog boxes). I don't understand why I can't assign an alternate keyboard shortcut to a function that works this way. After all, this problem, in my opinion, arose precisely for this reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is very frustrating can't change the "New Layer without dialog"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David Mohr  Hi, David, how are you doing?

This is just one of many cases of Photoshop shortcuts that cannot be customized...

I beg to differ about your statement "There are no shortcuts or commands for creating a new layer or document without a dialog.  That doesn't exist." 

The function does exist in Photoshop, in at least two locations :

1) If you hold alt+click the menu Layer>New>Layer... or use the ALT+CMD+SHIFT+N shortcut that the users want to change

2) Or if you click on the "create new layer" button at the bottom of the layers panel. This function contradicts your "Creating option opens a dialog to make sure that the user wants all the current parameters." (that said, you can get a menu if you hold alt and click on that button)

But there could be hundreds of FRs for the many unshorcutable functions of Ps: create a new layer under the current one (CMD+click the new layer button) I don't know how the KBSC editor could encompass all those needs, but it is frustrating to have a tool supposed to help pro users be limited in what it can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here Here! I just want to easily be able create new layer (without a dialog box) when I push N... Doesnt seem that hard to figure out. You're all pretty clever cookies at Adobe right? 🙂 SHIFT + ALT + CMD + N is silly. I dont want to have to use my right hand (take off stylis or mouse) to push N. Really it would be great if I could push just N for a new layer (same size as the canvas) and SHIFT + N for a new layer underneath the current layer. The original post here is circa 2015. It got shut down then by @david because you had lots of other features to include.. Well it's the year of our lord 2022.. So I agree with OP. This needs to get bumped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Oliver254315851zye I totally agree, the scope of the KBSC is limited to the functions explicitely shown in the menus.

IMHO, it should work also with the functions that are not listed, or available in the interface with a modifier.
This is too limiting. 

We also need to be able to search in that menu: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-search-field-in-keyboard-shortcuts-dialog...
And, FYI, there is a semi-hidden way to add a layer below the current one, that you might already know about -but other users might not- : CMD+click the add new layer button in the layers panel. 

(here is a FR to have it work on adjustment layers;: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/creating-adjustment-layers-below-the-active... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add my voice to this request. It seems utterly absurd to me that some commands, options, or tools are "invisible" to keyboard shortcuts. (And I am filled with crazed longing at the thought of Oliver's dream of just being able to hit N for a new layer!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Did anything come of this?

Cheers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong answer due to not unerstanding the question's need and intention.
We all know what you offer as an answer, Photoshop has no way to avoid the NEW LAYER POPOUP via assigning a Keyboard Shortcut, that's the problem:   AVOIDING THE PPOPUP just like the Panel's icon+dropdown does.
See? and I'm not even a native english speaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a little late to the party...

An installed script can create a new layer without a dialog, which can have a custom keyboard shortcut applied.

I know that this has come up before in a different topic, I'll see if I can dig it up...

EDIT:

Not exactly the topic I was thinking of – https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/copying-the-layer/m-p/14090141

Here is a script:

#target photoshop

makeNewLayer();

function makeNewLayer() {
	function s2t(s) {
        return app.stringIDToTypeID(s);
    }
	var descriptor = new ActionDescriptor();
	var reference = new ActionReference();
	reference.putClass( s2t( "layer" ));
	descriptor.putReference( s2t( "null" ), reference );
	executeAction( s2t( "make" ), descriptor, DialogModes.NO );
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate