• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enable more features including tools, Curves and other Adjustments for 32bits/channels image

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if CS6 will allow to adjust curves for a 32bits/Chanels image ?

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019
Hello, Photoshop 2020 has now Curves and Brightness/Contrast support for 32 bits images, as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html#other-enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate
15 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the request. We can't comment on future versions of Photoshop at this time. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect so, since it is possible in Photoshop CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sir, with a 32bit/channel image level command is available, not curves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to see curve (adjustment layer) implemented under 32 bit mode. This would make it possible to make my own tone remaping and enable me to see the image naturally while working on it in this mode.
You would need to adjust the tool for linear float ranges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in Photoshop the 32 bits/channel has so many limitations ?

its been years and years why this hasn't been addressed  yet

Image is not available

like all these important adjustments grayed out this images also blending modes etc

while a program like after effects which is also from the adobe family works like charm

any good news plz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. After Effects seems to handle 32bit files a bit better. It also seems to have more options for adjustments such as Curves layers. OCIO transform layers can be added/used in 32bit also, allowing for ACES workflows to be used. I think unbounded ICC profiles may allow this as well, however Photoshop doesn't have the option for OCIO adjustment layers or Color Space Transform layers. 

I know Lars Borg from Adobe was working on something with this. https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ocio-dev/AnmLVkv1Tcg/RgEDd9oIBgAJ

Plus better compatibility with Adobe products was mentioned in the ACES: Retrospective and Enhancements. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314385826_ACES_-_Retrospective_and_Enhancements_-_2017

I think maybe a workspace/option/configuration could be added for Photoshop that works better for people that work in VFX, 3D, Matte Painting, Compositing, Cinema, etc. Have it work in 32bit bit, add OCIO, bypass/handle color management manually, Logarithmic Gamma working space and tools for working with cinema footage, film scans, etc.  ACES integration. Would love an upgrade to the "Blend if" sliders. Maybe replace it with an HSL qualifier like Davinci Resolve. 

More info about cinema/vfx workflows with OCIO/ACES etc http://cinematiccolor.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is actually anyone from adobe reading this ?!!
Its 7 years old request and still not implemented yet 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes what ?

Can you please update us if we would have this in the near future or we wont be getting it ever ?

I mean any news will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Jeffrey,

Is there anything users can do to help?

Cheers
Cameron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s on our radar. I can’t really say more than that. Cameron, you provided a lot of good information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely understand., thanks so much for all the hard work y'all! It's much appreciated.

I know sometimes these support forums are like echo chambers of complaints/problems/nitpicks. Which i'm sure is frustrating, especially since a lot of times the problems might be completely out of Adobe's control, yet blame still placed. For instance color management system bugs and gpu bugs. Like OS X deciding to glitch out with V4 ICCs, or various OpenGL glitches/bugs. 

I completely empathize with the struggles in this area. Just trying to wrap my head around all the complexities and problems that can arise in color/image processing systems has been hard enough for me. I couldn't imagine having to actually build it or debugging each individual stage that can go wrong. And to the Photoshop teams credit, it's always seemed to display sRGB encoded images perfectly. Much better/more consistent gamma decoding than system viewers or browsers. 

Anyways keep up the awesome work y'all and thanks for the update! I've been using Photoshop everyday for almost 20 years now (since i was 8), I look forward to seeing it grow 🙂

Cheers
Cameron

Oh.. there is one feature that I'd REALLY LOVE for retouching but it's somewhat tough to explain... 

Essentially make a hybrid tool with the Pen Tool, Puppet Warp, Liquify.  The reason being is often times when using liquify it's to smooth an edge or modify an edge a bit. For instance if you were retouching a backpack or purse and wanted to liquify it to a nice smooth shape, essentially pushing and pulling it or warping to fit into a "smooth" curve. A curve that could be better drawn with the pen tool. What i essentially would love is if you could trace an edge that you'd like to warp with the pen tool, "clamp it" to the image, then adjust the points like puppet warp or the points on the bezier path itself to make a smooth curve edge. This also would be extremely efficient for studios who outsource their clipping. They could send out images to be returned with paths, then use those paths to "path warp" or "path distort", "path liquify" an image. This can also work great for body shaping as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Cameron Rad please post the request from the bottom of your post to a new discussion, I know that many a retoucher would love to have such a tool/ function!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Photoshop 2020 has now Curves and Brightness/Contrast support for 32 bits images, as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html#other-enhancements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Under Windows 10 with HDR enabled:

Win10_HDR.jpg

And my HDR monitor with 10bit color enabled:

NCP_ChangeResolution.jpg

Using Windows 10 Game Bar to capture HDR screenshots which output as JXR files.  I have the JXR plugin for Ps installed.  Ps opens the file but I can't use most of the features like "magic wand".  I get a message:

PsMagicWand32bitHDR.jpg

So I basically have to export the file to PNG to get 8bit and then I can work with it in Ps.  Surely Ps can handle HDR 32bit files?  Why are so many features disabled?  Am I missing something?

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate