• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Expand/contract work path

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love photoshop, but it really needs a way to either expand/contract a work path (like you do with a selection) or the ability to use the line tool as a work path so that you can created vectored line drawings

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can transform a path to scale it (expand/contract).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott@7224 Mahn: That only works for symmetrical shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean, you can transform a path of any shape.

But you obviously have a specific need in mind that isn't clear to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott@7224 Mahn: Try this: Draw a rectangle and scale it down via transform. Notice that it scales proportionately? While that's fine, it is not what we're wanting in some cases. Now ctrl + click on the rectangle shape (to select it via marching ants selection) and do Select -> Modify -> Contract by a few pixels. Notice the difference? We're not simply asking for a proportionate scaling, we actually want to bring in the edges of all sides equally, so to speak. You might know this as Path Offset in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don 't know man, I just tested as you suggest and got equal results. I drew a rectangular path, loaded it as a selection, contracted it 4 pixels and filled. Then I transformed the path proportionally to the same size and filled, then compared the two layers in Difference mode and they were exactly the same.

But I don't work for Adobe or anything like that, just sharing what works for me. I hope you get what you need!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2012 Jun 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want this feature!

The ability to expand/contract (offset) vector shapes is very useful and I have wanted to do this many times over the last ~15 years (once you know such a thing is possible, you suddenly notice how much you need it).

It is good if this can be done interactively by clicking on the path and dragging in the direction you want to offset the shape (possibly by holding down some function keys).

One obvious area where this is useful is to tweak a clipping path or vector mask around an object.

Scott Mahn:
Here's a visual example of what we are talking about:

The red path is the original; the black ones are copies that have been expanded or contracted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the visual. I think that should clear things up. This basic feature should make it into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you guys are saying. I tried it and I get it now. Don't know why my rectangle test didn't show the same - user error I guess.

I hope you get this feature, seems rightly useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The +5 line on my illustration points to the wrong path, but it seems you got it! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to be able to do this with paths in Photoshop. In fact, there are many improvements that I would like to see in the paths/shapes area. Such an important element (for design, for selections, for 3D...) and it hasn't seen too many improvements during the last years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such an important feature, suggested 3 years ago, and still nothing yet!

Even in illustrator now to do this I'd have to create multiple copies of layers and expand them all by one and clean up all the paths. Such a hassle.

In photoshop you could imitate this by using vector stroke + effect stroke + outer glow + drop shadow.. but it's nowhere as accurate as the 'real' expanding contour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be really useful to have in photoshop, I've been waiting 10 years for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no such feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES I would like this feature as well. Very long overdue.

I can transform the path into a marquee selection and then Select->Modify->Expand/Contract and then turn it back into a path... but the resulting path looks kind of awful most of the time and needs extensive clean-up.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 12.06.03.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-14 at 12.06.25.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-14 at 12.06.44.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-14 at 12.08.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I could take it into After Effects and make a shape layer, then a modifier can be added to expand/contract. But... 1) not everybody has AE 2) I think a shape layer can be turned into a mask layer (provided the modifier "sticks" in the conversion process), and then that mask could be copy/pasted into PS but not certain and not gonna finger that out right now, and finally 3) why should I have to jump thru all these hoops?

Votes

Translate

Translate