• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Finger painting/drawing support for touch screen monitors. [2015]

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whaaaaaat.I'm finding it incredibly hard to believe that every graphics program supports using the brush and pen through touch screens EXCEPT for Photoshop, the Queen of them all. Am I really going to have to draw in GIMP?I'm well aware that touch screens aren't nearly as ideal as graphic tablets but really, GIMP even supports pressure sensitivity and Photoshop doesn't support anything?Please, please incorporate this feature, it should have come standard years ago.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
68 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO Adobe  is right not to support finger painting. Touch  screen supports is multi-touch do you want different colors for each finger on screen? How do you adjust multiple brush tips sizes? Accidental finger touches will drop paint all over your painting.  I'm also not a painter so I don't care if Adobe Photoshop supports finger painting or not.  If I were a painter I would most likely look for a Printing application not an image processor like Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO Adobe  is right not to support finger painting. Touch  screen supports is multi-touch do you want different colors for each finger on screen? How do you adjust multiple brush tips sizes? Accidental finger touches will drop paint all over your painting.  I'm also not a painter so I don't care if Adobe Photoshop supports finger painting or not.  If I were a painter I would most likely look for a Printing application not an image processor like Photoshop.

By @JJMack

That decision should be made by the person that bought a touch screen device or stylist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 does not support touch, What you found turns Windows  touch display support  into mouse  support instead and Photoshop Brush engine does have support for using a mouse in all versions of Photoshop.  In mouse mode you most likely could not use Photoshop CC touch support but you could paint with your finger.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Application have to be programmed to use a device.  Buying a device does not mean all programs have support for that device.  The Choice or supporting a device is up the application developer not the application user they can not reprogram the application to support a device.  Device support is not free. Application design need to be changed to support new devices. This require funding man power, design, coding, testing and support.   Adobe did change Photoshop design to support Touch Display gestures.  Old versions of Photoshop do not have any touch support.  Adobe did not think Touch screen support was sufficient for it brush engine. Displays do not have buttons and neither do your fingers.  Touch Pads do have buttons and you can Paint will your fingers on a touch Pad because Touch Pads also work like a Mouse and Photoshop Brush engine has Mouse support.  Adobe Brush engine does not support touch display gestures and most likely never will.  Pen's have pressure,  tilt and buttons. Photoshop bush engine support pens not fingers  or stylus.

If you have a mouse also on your PC or a keyboard that you can program a key to be a left click. You can paint with your finger on your touch  display if you keep the left mouse button or the keyboard button pressed.   Touching  a touch screen does not do a left click like touching a pen on a tablet or display tablet.   Touch screens are missing the left click. They have no buttom to click. Stylus do not have left clik buttons your fingers do not either, You just need a left click button to to click like Pen tip doe, Or you need to change your touch device driver to add a Left click when your finger is touching the display. Your touch device is missing a button that Photoshop Brush support requires.  Display tablets pen have left clicks, Microsoft Surface pens have left clicks.  You Display, Finger and stylus do not have the left click required by Photoshop Brush support.

Here a thought for you.  On Adobe feedback site suggest to Adobe that they add two more buttons  to Photoshop  Modifier Keys Palette for left and right clicks. So you can  use your stylus as a brush. Add the missing buttons to your display.  Would it work I don't know if multi-finger touch would work which finger is button and which is brush.

image.png

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny how the accepted "correct answer" and the whole verbose conversation originated from it doesn't even try to admit that this limitation is pretty ridiculous.

Also, would anyone be so kind to explain why Adobe Fresco allows you to finger paint without any problem where Photoshop does not? Where do all the explanations about the "lack of a left-click in your finger or stylus" go when the same company offers a "drawing and painting app" ā€“ their own words ā€“ which is also part of the Adobe Creative Suite? Adobe Fresco doesn't seem to care about your fingers lacking a left-click...

I am a software engineer and developer... so please save me all the stories about the technical difficulties in adding fingerpainting to Photoshop. Those blatant excuses fall apart the moment you open Adobe Fresco!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, I have a touchscreen and your explanation makes sense, photoshop is better for precice editing. Adobe Fresco is for touch painting, I use both. Funny that some responses were mad that you explained why it didn't work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked like a treat for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my pc is tactile but when i want to draw, it doesn't work... I can't draw with my finger. Someone know how to use touch function on photoshop cc 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports touch testers not finger painting.  Get a drawing tablet. Photoshop  brush engine has pen support

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta agree with maxwooks. That decision should be left to the user and it's a little ridiculous that it still doesn't support a stylus on the touch screen. For such a powerful program, this is a major flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have a touchscreen PC : MSI z16. and the finger single touch is set on "equivalent mouse action" so i can use my finger like a mouse. I tried like you said : i went on  photoshop, selected a picture and the brush tool, did the left click on the touchpad and tried to move the mouse with my finger directely on the touchscreen, but nothing! the brush mouves only when i slide directely in the touchpad. There is something i can do to change settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pencil click the menu but don't draw or paint or using pen tool

i'm using ipad pro in duet display and apple pencil gen 2 and Photoshop 21

{Thread merged with the parent thread by Moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're here to help. Photoshop supports a single touch throughout its interface on computers with touch screens. The touch is treated like input from a mouse, so pressure is unavailable.

You can check this article to learn about the touch gestures in Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/touch-gestures.html.

Users have reported this issue many years back. We have a feature request for getting a similar functionality.

Link: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-finger-painting-drawing-support-for-touch...

Hit the Upvote button at the top of the page if you also want this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg thank god I am not going crazy or doing something stupid here. I have used photoshop since it's inception and primarily use it for my photography, but I do use it for other things from time to time. I primarily brought my touchscreen laptop so I could easily edit whilst travelling and not need to bring my large tablet with me. I tried everything to get it to work and now I find this thread and have realised its just becuse Adobe have been dumb and not added it into their coding. So stupid! It's 2022 you can edit on your phone now, come on Adobe get with the program! You have this function in your other applications, like another user commented who is a programmer it is possible to be added because you already have that function in other apps! I am looking forward to the day where I can use my expensive laptop the way it was designed to be used.....

For reference in case it matters, its an Acer Nitro 5 Spin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a lot of commenters missed out on this reply. Its a very simple installation, (Windows only), and it solves the issue! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not sure its visible which answer Im referring to, so here is the video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGDswyNhJ0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had pen pop on my Android LG but never used it for posted pictures, since bought a cheaper ph. And tried rubber etc. ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately in Aug 2023, this video is no longer relevant as indicated in its most recent comments. The program solution suggested is no longer available with a paid program in its place. Even the video creator mentions, " i guess the software maybe is outdated. I moved completely to an iPad "

Votes

Translate

Translate