• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Full version app for Apple iPad Pro

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Apple has a tablet with a stylus it would be great to see a FULL version of Photoshop CS that works on iOS. Please not an express program. Something that professionals can use. If anyone knows if this is in the works, please post. Thank you. Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

Idea Released
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019
We just released Photoshop on iPad 1.0 in the iOS app store, available as part of most existing Photoshop subscriptions. Unlike previous Photoshop apps, this app is built with the same codebase as Photoshop on macOS and Windows. It does not have every feature of Photoshop desktop, but we will be adding more and more features very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
82 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They actually have 2 versions. One is the standard that is basic stuff and then they have studio which is for more complex things. It depends on your needs.
The website is just Astropad.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I also have duet display. Duet is also starting to ship duet display pro that, while not nearly as effective as Astropad as far as option, provides the tilt and pressure use of the Apple Pencil even on windows.
Hope that helps.
The website is duetdisplay.com/pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also heard good things about Astropad, but the entire point of the iPad Pro (at least, according to Apple) is to replace the laptop, not be an accessory. Sure, being able to use my iPad as a graphics tab is nifty. But the iPad Pro is capable of so much more- the new ones can compete with current-gen i7s in terms of computing/graphics power. Why would I want to lug around both an oversized iPad and my Macbook, when the iPad is easily capable of running a full-featured CC app if Adobe released one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pros are even more powerful now- they just bumped them up to the A10X and claimed they can compete with a desktop i7 in graphics editing applications. I don't see any reason for Adobe NOT to port desktop apps to the iPad Pro at this point- unless they don't want to move developers to a new project/hire new iOS devs. But we pay enough for our CC subscriptions that this shouldn't even be an issue for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure everyone would much rather have a full version of Photoshop for iPad, but Adobe doesn't seem to be in a hurry to make one. So Astropad is all there is for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. As it stands, I'd have to buy half a dozen non-Adobe apps just to get a few more features that I use in PS on my computers. Sure, Adobe's mobile apps do some things a bit better than other free/cheap photo editing apps, but for anyone wanting to use the iPad Pro as their main device, it makes the entire cost of CC outrageous. Right now it'd make more sense to cancel the CC membership and spend the money on a bunch of apps that get you a convoluted workflow that ultimately gets you Photoshop-ish results.

I completely understand keeping the regular iPad and iPhones on the barebones Photoshop apps due to processing power, storage, and other features. But the iPad Pros have great CPUs and GPU chips, even more so with the refreshed line. They also have support for the Apple Pencil, some pro-oriented iOS features, and even a (basically desktop-class) file manager as of iOS 11. There's nothing hardware-wise that would prevent Adobe from porting their most popular CC apps over to the Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...And Duet display. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Apple has announced the updated iPad Pro line, it seems like a great time for a full-featured version of Photoshop on these professional tablets. During the WWDC keynote today, it was mentioned that the new Pros can compete with current-gen i7's for photo/graphic work. Aside from the different CPU architecture, is there any real reason for Adobe to avoid bringing the full suite of features over to iOS (at least the iPad Pro)? Once iOS 11 hits we'll even have a file manager to move files around the device/network/cloud just as easily as on desktop.

Anyone willing to shell out $649/$799+ for an iPad Pro is obviously looking for a high-end tablet that can (at least partially) replace the laptop when they're out and about. The screens are awesome, they're more portable than even laptops, and the touchscreen consolidates a graphics tablet and computer into one piece of equipment. Considering the raw computing power stuffed into these iPads, and the number of paying CC subscribers that would love to be able to do heavier graphics work from these tablets, it seems like an easy choice to make.

While I'd love to see the full Creative Cloud suite come to iPad Pro, it's probably unreasonable to rebuild everything for the different architecture. It seems to me like Photoshop could be a good way to test the waters here, and if it gets good feedback, maybe consider Illustrator and some other apps in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon, I imagine I was the first to reply to your Statement about the iPad Pro. You really kicked up a storm..Great work..From the replies there are a lot of disappointed  iPadPro users..Good work, now all we need is to have Apple to Do something, so that we can use full versions of PS. .Dick Betchley

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Photoshop is the only one that really needs it, the Illustrator app works fine, but I usually finish things in Photoshop, and thats where the frustration comes in

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Affinity Photo can bring out a full functioning app for the iPad, I'm sure Adobe can stuff a lot of PS into one. Since they're pretty big on mobile apps, I hope they don't sit on the sidelines while everyone else gets established. It wouldn't surprise me at all if On1 wasn't already thinking about it, too. LR Mobile is a great idea, but it doesn't really go far enough.

Of course, Adobe may well be working on it and not ready to share.  So everybody be sure to vote.  '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Just bought it and gonna play with Affinity Photo. It also does 32bit HDR and panorama stitching , stacking and focus stacking on iPad it says! Wow! Looks like somebody is willing to fill the gap we see and experience.

I certainly hope Adobe steps up his game and comes with Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC for iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't pulled the trigger on an iPad Pro upgrade just yet. The first one I thought maybe they were taking baby steps to offering a tablet to compete with the Surface Pro. Now, I am more willing to upgrade by seeing Affinity Photo is going there, but I'd definitely upgrade for PS or ON1 Photo Raw. If Adobe drags its heels, On1 is enough like PS, I don't find it's much of a learning curve, and being able to do real editing on an iPad Pro makes the device worth the upgrade.

Do let us know after you've worked with Affinity Photo for a bit if it actually lives up to our anticipations, or if you find significant limitations. Whatever works, or more importantly, doesn't work on the iPad will quite likely reflect what we can also hope for from Adobe.

The one concern I have about Adobe even offering us a better iPad editing app than they have,  is Adobe has been offering mobile apps for free and may think they won't get their money back on development if they charge a reasonable price—that we'll be expecting them to offer it free through subscription. I can understand that offering the full app on an iPad costs a lot for them to develop, and simply folding it into our subscription might not make financial sense to them. But a reasonable price for something as specialized as a serious editor, and a direct connection to the desktop version if we need to make more specialized edits would be acceptable to a lot of folk. However, if both Affinity and On1 Photo Raw get there first and get established, the market for iPad Pro, which I doubt is huge, becomes considerably smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, so far I can say that Affinity Photo is a great app. It istill is somewhat buggy, but you get extensive editing tools, it is a lot like PhotoShop and Lightroom in one. It only has one MAJOR FLAW for me: you can only open RAW photos from cloud storage and NOT from the photo app on the iPad. Major let down! 😞 This means that if I import photos via the SD to lightning adapter, I canot edit the RAW photos in Affinity Photo, but it'll open the embedded JPEG. So I still have to use 4g or WiFi and/or a laptop to share the RAW photos in the cloud and then I can use them in Affinity. But if they'll fix this in an update, Adobe is in serious trouble on the iPad (Pro) IMHO and I might end my subscription...

Edit: opening RAW photos with Affinity Photo from th photo app will be implemented in a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> opening RAW photos with Affinity Photo from th photo app will be implemented in a future update.>

That's good to hear. Even LR Mobile can work with the Photos app. Not letting us directly transfer from our cameras would be a major drawback indeed. Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really need to stop making excuses for Adobe folks: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/phot...

Been a designer for 10 years and can honestly say Affinity's allowed me to break away from my Mac for about 90% of my photoshop work. And this is brand new, so I really can't wait to see what it turns into within the next two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can understand that Photoshop would have to be  considerably limited to run on the iPad Pro, I still hope they're working in the back room to deliver an app that has as many features as possible to port to iOS. Certainly, one inclusive app to me would be a whole lot better than the multiplicity of little apps they currently offer. After all, they've been pretty big on mobile computing, so this should be a natural extension for Adobe now that the iPad Pro is pretty powerful in its own right, and likely to keep getting more-so with each upgrade.

My experience with Affinity Photo thus far is quite limited, and I have to upgrade my iPad before I can use their app for the iPad Pro,  but I do see they have enhanced, both in small ways and big, many of the features PS offers, and they are willing to be as much like PS to make the jump comfortable for us as they can possibly legally get away with.

I don't think they yet compete with PS for those of us who do a lot of compositing, website design, video production, illustration, photo art, etc. One undeniable strength of PS is being part of a big suite of interconnected apps, though I hope that doesn't have them resting on their laurels. Nor, having used Affinity several times, do I think their raw developer is as good as CR/LR. They also don't appear to have a very stable and strong platform for 3rd party developers to plug into. But for photographers, they're certainly including what they need and  want rather rapidly.

If Adobe doesn't become innovative here, and quickly, we can see from the boom in very reasonable competition for the image editing market, anyway, that they're going to have a difficult time remaining part of that competition. That's why my fingers are crossed they've been working on this behind closed doors. I would love the integration of such an app with the rest of the Creative Cloud applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just stitched and rendered 10 100MB TIFFs into one large 145 megapixel ~1 GB (!!!) panorama photo on my iPad Pro 12.9" with Affinity Photo in about 5 minutes. That is about as long as with Lightroom on my Core i7 Dell XPS15 laptop from 2012. Like I said before: it is not the hardware, it is Adobe.

If it was possible to export in TIFF, DNG, PSD or so from Lightroom Mobile, I would use Affinity Photo as my PhotoShop on iPad and Lightroom Mobile as my RAW editor. My problem would be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the new iPad Pros are just as fast as my Core i7 Dell XPS15 laptop from 2012. (Source: Geekbench.) My laptop runs Lightroom CC and PhotoShop CC perfectly fine. Like I said, the hardware of the iPad Pros is not the problem. Affinity Photo is also proof the iPad Pros are fast enough. I made a 145 megapixel, aprrox. 1 GB (!!!) large panorama photo with Affinity Photo, consisting of 10 TIFF files of about 100 MB!!! Wow! Very impressive!

As much as I love what Serif did with Affinity Photo on iPad, I still would love to see a proper Lightroom and Photoshop for the iPad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ipad pro is a marketing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"iPad ProAnything you can do, you can do better." Ipad pro is a bigger phone. Apple marketing is totally confusing and misleading. You have to know well what is bought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft is ahead of Apple for many years. Your tablet surface pro if you can run any program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, this is not a pissing contest. I don’t give a crap about who is lightyears ahead of who and if you like Apple, Microsoft, Red or green, patatoes or pizza. If you are here for a pissing contest to see who can piss the furthest, please leave. This is the wrong thread for that. We like a constructive discussion, to get pro level photo editing software from Adobe on our iPad Pros.

This all has nothing to do with the hard- or software or OS of the iPad Pros. Affinity Photo of Serif is proof that the iPad Pro can run FULL PROFESSIONAL photo editing sofware. I was able to stitch and edit an 1 gigabyte (!) panorama photo, made out of TEN (!) 24 megapixel RAW photos, with Affinity Photo on my IPAD PRO! And as fast as I can do that on my Core i7 laptop with Lightroom CC. Also the benchmarks don’t lie. The hardware and sofware of an iPad Pro is very, very fast and very well optimized. Core i7 fast according to geekbench. And yes, maybe not the newest Core i7 fast, but it is Core i7 fast. iPad Pro’s are waaaaaaaaays faster and have more memory as the minimum specs require for a x86 PC that can run Photoshop CC. I can tell from experience that editing RAW photos on my iPad Pro with Lightroom Mobile runs way better and faster, then editing the same RAW photos with Lightoom CC on my Windows Core i7 laptop with nVidia Graphics. (Yeah I know, Lightroom CC is badly optimized, as Adobe has admitted recently.) But this tread is also proof that there is a NEW market for a proper Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC for the iPad Pros. Look at the people here wanting it! Like I said before and in my earlier posts here, it is not the hardware, nor the software of the iPad. It is Adobe. The only restriction is Adobe. Adobe seems like a sluggish dinosaur. They are missing an opportunity here! A new market to conquer. And we all know what happened to the dinosaurs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Microsoft is ahead of Apple for many years. Your tablet surface pro if you can run any program.>

I'm not going to get a Surface Pro. I have a laptop that works just fine. I'm not going to run Microsoft. So I really don't care if MS is light years ahead of Apple—it is in some areas, mainly hardware options, unacceptable to me as an operating system in others. So the only option for me is to have Adobe produce an app for iOS that is far more full-featured than currently, and I'd prefer ONE such powerful app for pixel editing, another for vector, perhaps combine layout and storytelling—IOW, I'd like more power and flexibility in fewer mobile apps. I wouldn't think twice about plunking down the cash on a new iPad Pro with Apple Pencil if they did. Okay by me they cut the cord to iPads that can't run it, and new apps just for the new iPad Pro is the way to do that.

I think it's perfectly fine to have a dozen itty bitty apps for the consumer (and I do think they can be fun time-wasters for everyone as they are), but I think both pros and enthusiasts would welcome more consolidation as there is on the desktop, and far more flexible, powerful editing.

Such programs would be fine on iOS as it is today, and could be ported to MS and Android, far as I'm concerned. Why shut out any of the major devices?

In the meantime, I'm learning Affinity on the desktop and eventually, when I do upgrade my iPad to an iPad Pro, I may wind up getting Affinity for that, but I'd really prefer the connectivity to my Adobe apps, even though I thus far like Affinity on the desktop as far as it goes. I still prefer, even need, Adobe apps, to do most of the things I do. I don't see that changing anytime soon, so I hope Adobe is working feverishly behind the scenes to compete directly with Affinity for the iPad.  We all know they won't tell us if they are.<G>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For digital illustrators being able to use Photoshop on iPad Pro would be amazing. I do use an app like Affinity, but it would be far better to just have it directly on the iPad. The Pro has the specs to support it, they just need to make it happen. They really aren't progressing at the rate they should compared to the hardware being offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate