• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Generate mask from Blend If

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2019 Aug 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Blend If in Photoshop, is it possible for Adobe to create a mask (to be able to use on the spot) in between this layer and underlying layer. This would be the greatest change to photoshop in decades, and would help creative people more than ever, come up with newer approaches to their visual work!

Why didn't Adobe think of doing something as simple as that. The layer masking could also be in the Blend If Panel too! Make this happen please.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
26 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused. Blend If is creating a mask, even though we don't see it and can't access it like a pixel mask. Are you asking for that mask to be displayed in a pixel layer? Or are you asking to be able to use a mask you've already created to mask the blend if mask and if so, can you give me an example in a screenshot or something?  I'm all for Blend If to be more versatile and simple. I just don't appear to have the imagination to understand what you're asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t understand the suggestion either. Blend if is a dynamic mask, in contrast to normal masks. The mask changes automatically when you change the content of the layer(s). Add a normal layer mask if you want to make local changes.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before making the commitment to leave Blend If, there's an in-between stage, which would be like having another middle slider between the two, which is assigned to a mask, or kinda a safety layer inside of Blend If, so that, when I say wow, look at that effect, I can save it and still move on to capture other effects the blend if offers, or cut out through the mask territories I wish to maintain from either the 'this layer' or the layer 'underlying layer', like a capture device of the best part of each layer holding bits of the original of each you want shown, with the capability of still adjusting within that the blend mode and opacity.In other words, of my two image layers, I not only can use Blend If, I can composite control between these two as well, bringing both of the layers potential magic when mixed.
This is separate from using just layer masks on each image, and Blend If on the two layers each one having a layer mask attached, because, you want to see your work as it happens right before your eyes, as you make your adjustments.
That was a bit long winded, but I know I'm on to something that can be figured out, to enhance Blend If even further. I have no screenshots to fully express what I'm talking about. Sometimes, a never been done before idea, is just that, an idea to be considered, at first thought crazy, and later thought, oh. yeah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you said, Blend If is a dynamic mask, that's why it should be made more dynamic, instead of partially dynamic. With the user having more variables to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A light dark select capture lock grabber, while still capable of further fluctuations. Photoshop's own Flux Capacitor, I'm not trying to be funny either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In blend if masking, once I set it to what I like, or what is only available, I'm done, that's it.
Well, I'm saying no. I'm saying, I like that, I want to keep it, I may want to add to it, some other aspect of the effects, or parts of the whole image through it all on the spot. Holding on to all of the best parts of Blend if, before making my final commitment. Blend If has too much to offer, to not offer more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a much needed feature throughout all of Photoshop. Not only would generate mask be useful within blend-if, but imagine what would be possible if every type of adjustment layer also had a generate mask button! The math to do this is incredibly simple and it's really unfortunate that this wasn't implemented 20 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Blend If would generate a mask that I could then use anywhere with any layer, that I could like. I don't know about anything else, such as applying an intermediate mask to the Blend If that's in progress. I can't understand quite what's being done or how I'd use it. But at least being able to generate an alpha channel mask from settings at any point in the dialog is a request I could get behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple years ago, here, I inquired, and found an Adobe person that explained how to generate the actual mask from a blend-if layer setting. It is easy. I wrote a simple .atn file.
Research earlier posts for blend-if mask. I have the .atn somewhere and can post here if I find how to attach a file.
Doug.S

Also try searching Google for Ps action to generate a blend-if layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking that up for us all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images should be handled like music through the layers, and if Blend If is the open channel to allow this to happen, it must be explored further. Just the fact blend if exists is a testament that this has great potential to be the gateway to a greater Photoshop. The brainiacs at Adobe should be exploring every avenue possible, to explore Photoshops further potential. Or just give up, and hope the money keeps coming in as they grow old against the competition. One would think, with the amount of money Adobe's made off of Photoshop over all these years, the application would be unapproachable for its fantastic operation regarding dealing with pictures.
I find Adobe lazy, relying on outside developers to provide extensions and panels among other invented resources, while Adobe just sits and collects locked in revenue, as if a bank.
Creativity must be the must at Adobe or Skylum, Topaz and others will win the day. Get with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2019 Aug 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever familiarised yourself with the possibilities of Smart Objects (or plain Layers) with Blend if-settings in Groups as the basis of Clipping Masks or as Knock Outs? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Cristen 🙂 I was curious as I use blend-if a lot but not as in mask. So I've learnt something new today 🙂
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was the old post I was referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is interesting Doug. As I mentioned, I learnt something new.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an example of an attempted expression utilizing blend if, and how it can possibly be simplified more than what I'm trying to achieve, in an easier, smoother way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It stood out where I wanted the layer mask, like a bolt of lightning!
Where I want the layer mask, I mean the Blend If 'Separation Mask', is where the slider, light or dark, on either side, separates by holding down the option key, it's in that area of separation that I want the mask to take place, and I should be able to use the gradient tool and assign an adjustment layer to it as well. This is like having a calculated mobile option key selected 'live' action variable mask for compositing purposes and special effects. It's like a film or video effect action on a static image.
Ideally mini mobile masks on all sides of the sliders would be preferable, but for now just the slider option key separation gap, from its starting point, would be great! I can already see a use for it, in the example above in the top right hand corner of the image. Veronika's hair could be placed back in full, and still hold the Blend If look. I hope this explains what I've been trying to put across, even considering the other suggested approaches.
It would work as a timesaver, and change the approach given photos.

This requires a further explanation. 0-255 (this layer) / 0-255 (underlying layer)
This layer slider 255 moved to 186 as an example, a mini mask for that space is created, but consider it on hold at the moment for this discussion. The slider option key is held down on the triangle, to separate the slider for a more revealing display, to let's say 89, leaving a space from 186 to 89, where another mini mask is developed for that space, the same occurs for the 0 dark slider on the other side.
This is all conducted on the fly, with the main Blend If creation made, suspended in a holding pattern, called a 'Smart Action' (new term), (similar to a Smart Layer, in the sense that adjustment layers and filters work within a Smart Layer). The difference being that the new Blend If 'Smart Action', would have working automatic 'Space Masks' within. Mini 'Space Masks that can be filtered and adjusted, or used by tools like the Gradient tool if desired.

I hope you can imagine what I wish to convey. The Blend If initially created is like a temporarily suspended screen shot held for further effect by the Smart Action mini-mobile Space Masks. That's the best explanation I can come up with at this moment to impart what I mean. Maybe there are many other work arounds right now, but this could become exceedingly fast once comprehended. Have a good day or night wherever you live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2019 Aug 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you can imagine what I wish to convey. 
Not exactly, I guess. 
But I suspect that you might just be trying to communicate a need for Smart Layer Masks: 
Photoshop: "Smart Masks" - Masks that are Smart Objects
Photoshop: Smart filters and live adjustments for mask layers
Photoshop: How to use a smart object as a layer mask?

I should be able to use the gradient tool and assign an adjustment layer to it as well. 
Smart Objects with Blend if -settings in Groups as the basis of a Clipping Mask can already utilise additional Adjustments (like Gradient Map) and Layer Masks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can mask the luminance of a blend-if layer, but it’s much harder to mask a specific color channel blend-if. The easiest way to create a mask from a layer with blend-if applied is to place the said layer(s) in a folder group and then flatten that groups contents. It should create a new raster layer with all the opaque alpha aspects of the child ‘blend-if’ layers. From this you can just select the contents of the flattened group et viola, you have a selection of the blend-if
It’s complex, but if you have a subject on a blank background blend-if masking is most reliable and nuanced way to mask a subject in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Adobe, why haven't you done it yet?! Editable masks from Blend if would be a great feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, here should be Layer(s) or Image, because it takes into consideration all the layers. I've checked 🙂

Blend if.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

evey one iam happy to say to you i found ittt !!!!!!!some thing veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy closeeeee  chek this short video https://youtu.be/9NzAAAlrEjA       my language is not very good but you have to understand\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The request is not even under review?! Adobe, come on... will you finally make any useful updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have wanted this since forever. Lumenzia plug in will do it https://gregbenzphotography.com/lumenzia-demos/

It's quite hidden and off the top of my head I cant remember the shift/command key combo but I have made masks from blend if using Lumenzia made by @gregbenz 

Votes

Translate

Translate