• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Generator: Create Folders in Image Assets

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm loving the Adobe Generator for Photoshop and use it a lot!

A useful feature i'd like to see is to specify/create folders to save the assets. Something like:

folder/asset.png

It would be great to generate Android assets, when we have files with the same name, but in different folders (mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi, etc)

Thanks!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be some more photoShop Generator additional configuration options:

for starters basic ones like:
- Folder where files should be stored.
- Allow subfolders -> either by allowing '/' in files...or making the top folder...a "real" folder in the exported file structure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you visited Adobe Photoshop Generator Github?
They are already working this type of request.  see https://github.com/adobe-photoshop/generator-assets/pull/190

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The page that Kyoko links to covers the work we've done to specify folders.

We're also working on document-wide defaults. You can find out more about that here: https://github.com/adobe-photoshop/ge...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Generator in Photoshop CC is great. It would be even better if it allowed you to export assets to different folders. For example, say I have an icon and I want to generate 1x and 2x assets for iOS and 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 3x, and 4x assets for Android. I would like them to go to different folders (e.g. iOS, Android/hdpi, Android/xhdpi etc).

Currently it requires a bit of effort to sort stuff out after generating them. It would be nice if it were easier.

Perhaps it would be enough if you could add a path to the layer name so if you wanted to export icons in the following way:

ios/icon.png
ios/icon@2x.png
android/mdpi/icon.png
android/hdpi/icon.png
android/xhdpi/icon.png

you could name the layer like this:
ios/icon.png, 200%ios/icon@2x.png, android/mdpi/icon.png, 150%android/hdpi/icon.png, 200%android/xhdpi/icon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Good news! We have folder support in Generator slated for the next release of Photoshop. You can read about it here if you're interested:

https://github.com/adobe-photoshop/ge...

Also, we have a feature in the works to allow users to specify document-wide defaults -- feel free to comment on the syntax or suggest additional use cases:

https://github.com/adobe-photoshop/ge...

Best,
-- Joel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really enjoying the ability to put assets into different folders, but one problem I've been having lately is that I want to create multiple folders that contain the same file. Is there a way to do this without getting the "duplicate file name" error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2014 Aug 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem here 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the report Erin and Victor, We're aware of this and have a fix in hand. Stay tuned for future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a function I've been waiting for a long time. It would make Android app assets exports a lot easier and quicker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about the fix that Pete Green is talking about, but you can do this now using the "default" layer technique to save multiple versions of the same asset.

Let's say you have a layer named "icon.png" in a file named "MyIcons.psd". That layer would get saved to the file "MyIcons-assets/icon.png". No problem.

But to save multiple versions of that file, for example for different resolutions of Android devices as mentioned above by Tirza, you can save that same "icon.png" file to different folders. You have to create an empty layer in MyIcons.psd and the first part of that layer name must be "default". This layer will tell Generator how to save all of the tagged layers in the document. Name your "default" layer like this:

default 100% android/res-hdpi/, 75% android/res-mdpi/

This will create two versions of "icon.png": "MyIcons-assets/android/res-hdpi/icon.png" (at the size it appears in your document, 100%) and "MyIcons-assets/android/res-mdpi/icon.png" (at 75% of the size since Android's MDPI density is 75% of HDPI). As long as you're indicating different folders in the "default" layer, you won't get the duplicate file name errors.

Also, if you're saving to different resolutions it seems best for your PSD file to use the highest resolution/density that you are supporting and to scale down from there, though if you are using mostly vector shapes you shouldn't have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, you can do that now, just not in the layer name for each asset you are exporting. See my answer below to use a "default" layer to save all of your assets to different folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds very handy for situations where I want everything in my file to be duplicated and/or resized, but is not so useful when I'm in a situation where I would need the folders to contain something like:

android/
icon_36.png*
icon_72.png*
icon_92.png

iOS/
icon_29.png
icon_36.png*
icon_40.png*
icon_50.png
icon_72.png*
icon_76.png
icon_100.png

Newsletter/
icon_40.png*
icon_72.png*

Website/
icon_72.png*
icon_1024.png

*items with duplicate files in other locations

I don't want to litter my folders with unnecessary files. Plus, there are situations where I need two files that are different, but have the same name (ex. icons/square/icon72.png, icons/rounded/icon72.png).

For now, I've worked around this by naming files "icon72.png, _icon72.png, __icon72.png, ___icon72.png" and then cleaning up the underscores afterwards. Are there any other tricks I might be missing to help me get around this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about extract to a outside of that psd file folder some other location or different server? and it will remember it next we open that psd file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the layer name to control output feels like a bit of a cop out. Hopefully in future updates we could have a layer effects style GUI for controlling the output without having to result to ridiculously lengthy layer names.

An empty layer to control default settings doesn't feel like the team finished the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried new Export? File->Export ->Export As, or right-click on layer or layers and select Export As from context menu. This will allow to export layers without renaming it, and to specify location where to export

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do I need to export every time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or it will remember where did that file export it to from last time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it will remember location where you exported files, and settings used for export; but to update/re-export, you need to reopen Export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like Generator is a better solution and did they improve that on CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. However, I really like the automatic generation this 'plug-in' offers. If we had a GUI offering the level of control SFW offers for those of us whom want it - I would never use SFW again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also finding a little flaky. I currently have a document open with layers named appropriately that did export at first, but now are not exporting. I increased the DPI of the file in between it working and not working.

Plus it would be killer if it could draw resolution from inside raster smart objects when exported 200% sized assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Is there a way to specify the root folder for asset generation?

At present it defaults to "MyOriginalFileName-assets". I'd like to change this to "MyCustomFolder".

Votes

Translate

Translate