• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How do I add an intermediate color stop, with the color of the position that's already there?

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like the gradient stop I'm adding to assume the colour that's already there. Is there a way to do so that I overlooked?

If not: I'll change it later, the gradient can start out with my fore- and background colour, so I won't be needing those while I'm editing it.

Noel Carboni made a better image than me,
href="https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net..."> - in this thread over at the photoshop forums: http://forums.adobe.com/message/37234...

Still, here's mine <a

Many thanks!

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014
In Photoshop CC 2014: option/alt click in the color or transparency stop area where you want to sample a color from the gradient, and a new stop will be inserted matching the current color/opacity at that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've logged a feature request report to add this functionality to Photoshop, and linked this page to the report.

There is a workaround, but it's pretty convoluted, bear with me:

1. In the new gradient dialog, select one of the two end stops.
2. Upon selecting the end stop, a small circle should appear in the middle of the gradient indicating the end point. Place a stop at this point. This stop should take on the end color of the previous stop you selected.
3. Now move the cursor to the gradient itself, it should change to the eyedropper. Sample the gradient area located at the midpoint (little circle) in between the new middle stop and the opposing/alternate color end stop. This will sample the original mid-range gradient color.
4. You now have a 3-stop gradient with your original color layout. For adding additional stops, start by placing a stop on the opposite side of the gradient from where you want your final stop.
5. Now sample the area in the gradient where you want to place the final stop.
6. Click directly below this area to add a stop there.
7. Click on the gradient area of the stop placed in Step 4 to change the final stop to the gradient's original color.
8. Delete the stop placed in Step 4.
9. Repeat Steps 4-8 for additional gradient stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!
And even more so for logging that feature request
-My gut feeling says it should be standard behavior to assume the colour of the position where the stop is added. (while they're at it, the swatches for fore- and background colour look more like a transparency grid, and the black and white could do with a subtle checker background ;)

I can follow up to half of step 4, but I'm a bit lost at the placing the stop on the opposite side. This stop assumes the "middle" colour again (basically, new stops assume the colour of the last selected stop, even if none is currently selected).

This is a bit workable though, as I can just "subdivide" the gradient towards the position of the stop-position I want.

That said, it helps to set the smoothness to 0%, because at 0%+, photoshop interpolates across stops a bit to smoothen the gradient.

*ooh* I found a small bug: when I add a stop, sometimes, while it's selected, *ANY* second click (even a while after) spawns the colour picker on mouse*down* - making it impossible to drag off a just created stop. I'd totally make that a mouse-up action. Right now I need to click elsewhere to remove a hidden focus state 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I logged the bug you mentioned too.

I'm glad to hear this is a usable workaround for now.

In regards to steps 4 and beyond: this is confusing, but the idea is to place your initial stop on the opposite side because when a stop is placed it will only affect gradient information in between its surrounding stops.

So the idea is you place this in a region you don't want to change, use it to get the color you want from the region you actually want to add the stop to, add the new stop itself, and then delete that original stop.

I don't know if you can post videos in this forum, but I can see about doing a screen recording if your interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!
I did it and it worked!

No need for a video, for me at least.

Ehrm,. let me try to help you rephrase that:

• Make a temp stop somewhere it won't be in the way.
• Eyedropper it to the colour-spot you want. The temp one then has the colour you want, and your cursor is still at the location you want.
• Click below where you just eyedropper'ed, to add the stop. It will assume the colour of the temp stop, as that was the last one created and as such selected.
• Delete your temp stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consider this solved, but it's a workaround :)
(which I'll share with my fellow UI designers at work 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC 2014: option/alt click in the color or transparency stop area where you want to sample a color from the gradient, and a new stop will be inserted matching the current color/opacity at that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You guys move fast ;)
Thanks!

Votes

Translate