• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Image Hose - Extend Clone Stamp tool

Enthusiast ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly all other serious digital paint programs have some kind of randomized image "stamp" feature (Painter calls it Image Hose). This is seriously lacking in Photoshop. I can see a very sooth implementation by extending the Clone Stamp tool. You already have multiple clone sources - in its simplest implementation, it should be fairly straightforward to allow the user to define multiple clone sources and then randomize which one is being used each time the brush is "stamped" onto the layer. Add angle and size jitter and other randomization features like we find in the brushes palette and we're off to the races.

A better user experience would be to define "stamp sets". This would require a new palette which would open into a kind of "tree view". For each Stamp Set you could add multiple pixel-based images, similar to the way you define brush presets. Their thumbnails would then be visible, indented under the Stamp Set in the "tree view".

When a particular Stamp Set is selected, you have your jitter controls and other behavioural controls which get saved with that stamp set. Stamp sets can be saved like Brushes and other Preset Manager items. You could even offer a nice automation tool for importing a sequence of PSDs into a single stamp set.

You could extend this even further by exposing the same Layer Effects to your Stamp Sets. Unlike a layer effect, which applies, for example, a Drop Shadow to all the pixels of the layer at once; the Stamp Set effects would apply the effect(s) to each instance of a stamp. As an example, the difference would be that if you apply a drop shadow to your Stamp Set, if you stamped one item over top of another, its drop shadow would overlap the previous item, whereas if you just applied the Drop Shadow to the entire layer, there would be no "depth" between two "stamp" instances on the same layer.

Note that I'm not suggesting that each instance of a stamp would be an editable object or a smart object instance. Just like when you use the Brush tool, the results are "merged" into the active layer's pixels more-or-less instantly (or at least, once the mouse button is released to terminate the brush stroke).

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
70 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the option to use several different custom brush tips within a single stroke, alternating between them all (maybe even randomly).  This would give the ability to create more realistic groupings of images.  (Fields of grass, flocks for birds, and much more randomized traditional media simulations)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found something similar but not yet what we wont!
it is "Corel ParticleShop" that work as plugin for PS, it still lack of multiple RGB image nozzles but some nice fisics to the brush added.

Anyone knows a better solution??
Neither with another plug in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emiliano, thanks for the update. Still haven't seen any movement from Adobe on this one. Maybe you could make sure you share this link with your social network and get more votes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bumping this thread. such an easy addition - please add!

*Edit* Just found this. trying to find where to get it now...
http://www.pspanels.com/super-spray/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bumping this thread. easy addition - please add!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been wishing for something like this for years. I started a topic on the other phtoshop forum. But this is exactly what I need. 

Adobe needs to make this happen. 

Coral Painter has Image Hose
Art Rage has Sticker Spray
Gimp has Image Pipe

Photoshop has... nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needs to be able to have multiple colors in the brush though. Like a clone stamp pulling from multiple pre-set stamps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be awesome but it would need multiple colors in the brushes. Like an image rather than just a color. A good first step but not quite what we need. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. We need this now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it exists in Coral Painter, Art Rage and Gimp... C'mon Photoshop! you're late to the game!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. we need this. Late to the game Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see this thread for Jared's discussion on this concept.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2585333

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a Photoshop tool that I have been also dreaming about for YEARS.    like a pattern stamp tool or mixer brush that 'reads' multiple sources and lays them out in a random order. with controllable angle jiter, pen direction angle, size jiter, scatter,   etc...

Now my work is getting to a point where I am considering how I can manage to incorporate one of the programs that has it into my workflow. just to speed things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of applications have this feature (image hose, scatter brushes etc) and it would be great to see Photoshop include this feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Request: Color image clone/replicator similar to "image nozzle". Please consider creating an extensive toolset that could replicate photographic elements i.e.: flowers, fish, grass, clouds, mushrooms, etc. Compound settings could allow multiple source elements to be replicated simultaneously with jitter controls for randomness of size, rotation, vert/horz scaling, mirroring, etc. An effective toolset could allow artists to paint a grassy field with multiple wildflowers very efficiently. This would be like adding the power of custom brushes to the stamp tool -but with even more power/flexibility. 

3D replicators in pro 3D apps currently offer functionality for "painting" replicated objects on or near a selected surface like bees on and around a hive. A full featured replication tool for PS should be able to mimic 3D tools with faux perspective jitter -like adding flowers to rolling hills. This feature exists in other painting apps, but is conspicuously absent from Photoshop.

FYI I was a beta tester (and alpha) for Photoshop 1.0 and subsequent releases. I am still a pro retoucher/photo illustrator, in Northern CA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the closest i come to a image hose is using one of the brush settings and increasing the size of the brush. i use it to make leaf shadows. sometimes i use it to create colored florals in the background and with the smudge tool brushes. also i wanted to include my name in the wish list for some sort of editable image hose! yikes! i remember superpaint had a really great one although uneditable. i still miss it. i have some really great images i made with that crude device and photoshop comes nowhere close. they really need to act on this tangent. please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 This would be useful to have. I tried pattern stamps but seems like I can't get what I want with current tools.Sheetzilla_0-1669186880123.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there I have a request for the brush.

I really like the option for making your own brush. But there is something I would think that could make the brush even more powerfull! If you now want to make a brush it will always be a grayscale of an image. My request is: could you make the option to use a real image with all of it's colors to make a brush. 

In my example you see what I mean. I would like to have my original image with al the colors as a brush instead of the step with the grayscale, which wil make your brush monotone (or duotone if you use a second color).

Thank you! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I agree with your suggestion, but I'm merging your idea with an existing one on the topic:please vote on top, and invite others to do so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an idea that would be ideal when implemented with A.I. to help determine what variations to brush onto an image. I do remember the Image Hose from Painter, way back in the day, and it would be a nice addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate