• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: It would be good if the roundrect vector tool corner radius was editable during and after drawing

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2011 Apr 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem Description — Illustrator allows realtime tweaking of the corner radius of rounded rectangles while drawing, using the arrow keys. It’s brilliant and takes the guesswork out of drawing rounded rectangles. Drawing a roundrect in Photoshop is a trial and error affair, because you have to choose the corner radius prior to drawing.

This means it usually takes several attempts to draw a rounded rectangle, because you have to delete what you’ve done and start again each time. It’d be even better if the rounded rect’s corner radius remained editable after drawing. Allowing a different corner radius for each corner would be the icing on the cake. Given the current implementation of vector rounded rectangles in Photoshop, I’m not sure how it’d be possible to implement edibility without significant changes.

Workaround — Lots of trial and error, drawing and redrawing until the correct radius is achieved.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013
Editable Rounded rectangle corners is one of the new features of Photoshop CC:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if after creating a rounded rectangle I were able to resize it without affecting the corners. It would also be great to adjust roundness after it was created.

I'd call it "smart rectangles" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Buttons all over the internet would weep with joy if that was possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another great suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or you could use fireworks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without starting a huge debate on the topic, I'll just say that I've tried lots of different apps and methods and I really love Photoshop. Part of that will be due to my history (have been using it since version 2), but I've always tried to reassess regularly and make sure I'm using the best possible methods.

So while Photoshop may be lacking in some ways for UI design, it's still my favourite. And if some of these smallish things can be tweaked, I think it'll be the best tool for the job by far.

This site gives me confidence that Adobe want to address the small things that matter to UI designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without starting a huge debate on the topic, I'll just say that I've tried lots of different apps and methods and I really love Photoshop. Part of that will be due to my history (have been using it since version 2), but I've always tried to reassess regularly and make sure I'm using the best possible methods.

So while Photoshop may be lacking in some ways for UI design, it's still my favourite. And if some of these smallish things can be tweaked, I think it'll be the best tool for the job by far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 17, 2011 Apr 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, considering I create these very often (am a Web Designer). I hate having to redraw the shape because I guessed the wrong size for the corners. And as stated above, I also like the idea of having an option (potentially a checkbox somewhere) to resize/transform the square/shape but retaining the size of the original corners. Doesn't Illustrator have a similar feature/option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a little configurator panel that will adjust the pixel radius of a Rounded Rectangle vector mask. It isn't as smooth as a built in tool would be, of course.
Currently, it can only adjust one layer mask at a time. It only works if there is only one sub-path in the selected layer's vector mask.
Unzip to [Photoshop 5 directory]\Plug-ins\Panels\
http://sites.google.com/site/davidjen...

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, you're a champ! Thanks.

(Sure, it's not as good as having the feature in the app, but a good stopgap.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, FYI -- I've been using your extension for a while now (since you posted it), and within the last 2 weeks, it seems it has been causing my Photoshop to lag. Mostly just when clicking on things (such as selecting text, clicking layers in the palette, etc.).

I'm not sure if it is your extension that is causing the lag, or just the Extensions in general. But yours was the only one I had installed, and whenever I disable it...Photoshop no longer lags. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Flash panel, generated by Configurator. I just attach a script to each button, and the script is only running for a moment when you press a button. Maybe the Flash player is stealing focus. I've had issues with text fields in Photoshop.

The scripts could also be called by a set of actions, or a modal dialog. I'll try to put something together this weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good. Looking forward to it. Now that I've been using this for creating web designs, it's hard to stop using it. Ha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring more tools for the UI Designer. like rounded rects that don't distort and better layer styles options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do a search to see if a topic already exists. This forum works best if you have one topic per idea. Add your vote to the existing ideas for layer style enhancements or create a new one if none of the existing ideas match your idea:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fireworks has ability to round corners via changing corner radius. It would be great to not redraw vector shapes in order to round corners in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted about this on the CS6 forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/42841...

A solution that I proposed would be an option to use the regular rectangle tool, but to set rounded corners on regular rectangles in the tool options bar. By doing this, the rounded corners would not be created with anchor points, they would be more of a smart effect/mask on the rectangle shape.

This way, you could select any rectangle and easily give it rounded corners in the tool options bar. You could also resize the rectangle without it screwing up your rounded corners, because the corners are not made with anchor points, they are just being applied to the rectangle shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6:
Rounded rectangle tool: change rounded corners

would be nice:

- Changed round every corner Radius property (not all at once)

- After creating a rectangle, we can change stroke but not the radius

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use rounded rectangle tool.. if Up arrow or down arrow could help to adjust the radius(similar like flash) that would be cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to be able to adjust the edges of rectangular shapes whenever we like, hence even after creation. Theoretically Photoshop wouldn't need three shapes like:
a) Rectangle Tool
b) Rounded Rectangle Tool
c) Ellipse Tool

Instead we would have just one shape, but be able to adjust its edges directly within the workspace (having little handles for that). When the edges value would be "0" then it would be a rectangular shape. "100" would mean a circle, while all the other values in between would be rounded rectangle shapes. We would be able to change the values whenever we need.

This would make us much more flexible. But there is even a further advantage, we would be able to transform the same thing from a rectangular shape into a circular one, without the need to create a new object instead as currently (if I don't miss anything)

Thanks, Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change corner radius of rounded rectangles after drawing them.
like fireworks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe Photoshop CS6 came so close to incorporating the ability to edit the radius. It even looks like it will work. But alas, it does not. When I have a "rounted reactangle" object selected, it should at least let me edit the corners radius again. Instead I have to create a whole new one and delete the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi
David Jensen, do you have extension of Corner Radius for cs6? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering the same thing. It doesn't load at all anymore. I miss it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try this. It works a bit differently, and may be a bit glitchy. Type a number in the middle box and press enter to change the radius of all corners, or type in the corner boxes to change each corner individually. You may have to press Esc to exit the dialog.
http://sites.google.com/site/davidjen...
Put it in {photoshop directory}/presets/scripts/
It should show up in you File->Scripts menu the next time you start Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the script David! Unfortunately every time I use it Photoshop crashes... Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate