• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keyboard shortcuts for navigating layers DO NOT work with hidden layers

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, we have the keyboard shortcuts ALT-[ and ALT-] which are used to move between layers in the layer panel. The problem is that those shortcuts only work on VISIBLE layers and not on HIDDEN layers. They need to work on ALL layers. I mean, I can select any layer, visible or hidden, just fine with the mouse, so why am I restricted to visible layers only with the keyboard shortcut? My job often involves processing images with lots of layers, and the stuff I do involves lots of keyboard shortcuts. Literally EVERYTHING I need to do can be accomplished with keyboard shortcuts EXCEPT for moving from a visible layer to a hidden layer. There is even a keyboard shortcut to toggle visibility for a layer (CTRL-,), but it's useless for turning a layer visible, because you cannot navigate to the hidden layer with the keyboard!

I waited 2 hours and 20 minutes in chat support queue, only to be told "That is the expected behavior. You'll have to talk to an engineer to find out more." How am I supposed to talk to an Adobe Engineer? Did anyone's CC subscription happen to come with a list of all the engineers and their contact info?

If this IS the expected behavior, I want to know why it was decided that nobody would ever need to change from a visible layer to a hidden layer with a keyboard shortcut. If not, when can we get it fixed?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
42 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's so frustrating that you can record an action to hide a layer, but you CANNOT RECORD an action to UNHIDE/REVEAL the same layer you just hid. Vice-versa should be obvious but for you it's just a number of how many complaints are...pretty sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I add this comment to join the request to be able to navigate through hidden layers. I meet the same problem to have to leave the workspace to come back on the hidden layers with cursor and it happens too often to not find an interest in dedicated shortcut.

In addendum, I'd also find rather interesting to be able to use these shortcuts on AZERTY or non-american QWERTY keyboard or at least to be able to set a new shortcut in the "shorcut" menu page. Lots of shorcuts are inaccessible to reassignment and the only way to not have constaintly have to toggle between US keyboard layout and local keyboard layout is to create actions (F2 as "select backward layer", for exemple).
Then, for people who doesn't work on US keyboard or just want to assign a single key to hidden shortcuts, here are the steps:
1. If you're not using english version of photoshop, change language and reinstall (explaination: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/change-install-language.html).
2. Switch your keyboard to US keyboard mode (if not already installed go to language preferences and add it).
3. Open "action" window in Photoshop.
4. Create a new group.
5. Create a new action.
6. Attribute a name, a key (F2 or F2+CTRL or something else) and click on "record".
7. Execute the shortcut (description will appear in the "action" window).
8. Stop the recording by clicking on the square icon.
9. Repeat the process for other wanted shortcuts.
10. Switch to your local keyboard layout and enjoy your new shortcuts. It still works if you want to come back to your native language as describe in step "1".

PS: as mentionned upper, I feel sad that Photoshop doesn't provide the same possibilities depending on your language and location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those that can't write scripts (i.e. the majority of the Photoshop user base), using the keyboard shortcuts for back/backwards and front/forwards layer selection or moving are critical when recording actions that are relative rather than absolute.

This visibility issue is a major PITA when it comes to action automation.

Anyway, it is possible to work around this issue using a script, which can be run from a custom keycut.

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/joonaspaakko/048c9b58ccbb6e6f44c894bf4ce30b68/raw/878c7240aa04bac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, if you need to record actions the ability to select hidden layers via shortcut (so that it can work on any layer regardless its name) is mandatory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't believe this is the expected behavior and not a bug. They have a shortcut to toggle visibility on a layer, but it's essentially useless since you cannot navigate to hidden layers with the keyboard in the first place. They need to fix this. I am so damn frustrated with this MONOPOLISTIC company. In the past 5 years, I have paid more to Adobe than I have in the previous 20 years, and the level of support has dropped precipitously. Not a single issue I have brought up in the recent past has been "solved", I have only ever been told "That's the way it's supposed to be."

We get no direct phone support, no direct email support. We have to go through a stupid chat queue or forums that are manned by unpaid CUSTOMER "volunteers". I don't PAY to get support FROM CUSTOMERS. This is monopolistic behavior. You are making more money now than you ever have. If your bug backlog is too large, THEN HIRE SOME DAMN ENGINEERS! I am stuck using your software because there are no viable alternatives, but I DO NOT LIKE IT.

Stop being a crappy company!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you. They should fix this problem. This makes my work a lot more complicated. I have to move layer backward (ctrl [) to applay the effect to another layer and actually see what I'm doing, then move first one forward again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen. Nice work. This works perfectly! I assigned cmd + opt + [ ] to saved variations of the script for moving up and down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, what do you mean by "custom keycut"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

I am just the messenger, I can't claim credit for the script, which is from the talented Joonas Paakko, who makes other fantastic things, such as this:

https://scriptui.joonas.me/
https://github.com/joonaspaakko/ScriptUI-Dialog-Builder-Joonas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Florian, that was shorthand for "custom keyboard shortcut" or Edit menu > Keyboard shortcuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a great work around but may work for some people in specific situations. I have an action that builds my layers with specific names.  Then I have an action that will select those layers by name and I assign a function key to them. For example, ctrl-F12 will select my layer called "seamlines" and then I use ctrl- comma to toggle it off and on. On a side note, the command from the pull down menu Show/Hide layers is not a toggle (even though the ctrl-comma is) which means an action to show a layer and and action to hide a layer are separate commands. So yeah, that's kind of dumb too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*vlad_voiculescu Could you post this as a separate feature request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread because not having this feature is also causing problems for me. I'm trying to record an action that needs to move to a hidden layer and toggle it on. I have to use the keyboard shortcuts instead of clicking because the layer name will be different in different files. It seems that it can't be done.

The best workaround I could find was making a layer comp to control the visibity and recording that in my action, but using a keyboard shortcut would be a less clunky solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that selecting invisible layers is possible without a script, just not intuitive!

relative-layers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now 2023, I still need it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible but not intuitive, actions help.

Even better than using actions is a script with custom code keyboard shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out that at least I'm able to unhide layers using Keyboard shortcut CTRL+ALT+,

After that ALT+[ or ] to select that layer, it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate