• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mirror Paint/Symmetric/Seamless Tile Paint Function

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop could use a interactive Mirror Paint and Seamless edge/border painting function. Painter has had this feature for about 10 years now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Mirror/Symmetry painting is now supported in Photoshop:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/paint-symmetry.html

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Mirror/Symmetry painting is now supported in Photoshop CC. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 165 Replies 165
165 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
The closest thing to mirror paint is the following option in the clone source panel:
set the W: value to -100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. That means PS still doesn't have that funtionality after all these years. Same with a seamless time paint feature. People are still
Using the offset filter. Archaic. These are 2 very simple concepts that many users would be very happy to see. And say "finally!" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have an idea for a feature for Photoshop.

Photoshop is the goto program for creating Computer game textures.
One thing that done daily is creating tillable textures,

This often means flipping back and forth with the offset filter,
sorting out the seam with the clone stamp, copying bits of the image about and painting sections.

This back and forth is quite time consuming but its something we all have to deal with.

The idea is having an option to make a layer repeat over the edges of the document, so when you paint / draw something over the edge on that layer, it would appear on the other side too.

You could also move layers over the edge and they'd duplicate over the other side for when you copy parts of an images about.

Heres a mock-up of the idea, You can see the edgeless button at the top of the layers panel. the reason i've suggested it just being something that works on a per layer basis is to not crash Photoshop with heavy documents.

Amazing idea!

Lots of games company's have licenses for Photoshop and this is something that could save them lot of hours!

Its an idea I posted over at Polycount and straight away people wanted it, the demand is there its just getting the idea out to people.

-lloyd

Here's another picture of it when you make the base brick layer edgeless, this is where you could be cloning and sorting seams, i posted the other picture as this ones a bit hard on the eyes.

Amazing idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to suggest that there be a tile editor mode:

In this mode, the canvas still has fixed size, but the image infinitely wraps. The view shows the canvas in the center, but also shows copies placed on each side of the canvas, and on each side of those images, etc. until the image leaves the screen.

When zoomed in, it is possible that the wrap would not be visible. Yet when zoomed in at the edges, a certain percent of the surrounding tiles should be visible rather than only allowing the editor to pan to the corner.

When editing takes place outside of the canvas, the result is modification in the corresponding spot on the canvas. For example, a brush that lays over an intersection of the tiles would edit each of the corners. Also layer styles won't end at the edge of the canvas, they would continue as if the image was tiled on every side of the canvas.

Here is an example drawing space depicting my suggestion. The blue rectangle represents the canvas bounds and the pencil is the currently active tool.

Image is not available

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a shame my idea got merged into here, but we all seem to be wanting the same thing.

I hope people see this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the ideas merged makes it easier to count the people supporting it, keep the conversations in one area, and combine interesting variations in the requests. We've heard this request from a variety of sources, but there never seems to be a large number of people supporting it - so product management always has higher priorities.

BTW - you do have a tiling paint feature in Photoshop Extended using the 3D functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that feature is still too limiting and not what were looking for.

Thanks for the reply. hopefully we can get more votes up in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really does need to be a feature in Photoshop. A tiling tool would benefit anyone in the games industry. And that is a huge user base. I work at a small company and we still have ~25 copies of Photoshop. I have to tiles textures, complex ones, every day. This tool would allow me to make stuff at a much faster pace.

Lloyd has the right idea on this one!

Chris Cox: This is a very big issue for the 3D industry. I know a lot of people that would use the tool. Honestly I think the reason no one is supporting it is no one knows about the feature request section at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then guide more of them this way. (just make sure to search for existing requests before adding duplicates)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well of course we want this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of us that want this feature, just that signing up just to tick a little +1 button with no guarantee of a result sounds a lot more effort than it's worth.

Also, I didn't know this place existed until Lloyd pushed us here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for coming James!
Yeah it does suck but the sign up wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, this is EXACTLY how a tile wrapping tool should behave. Two thumbs up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, yeah. I want tiling images, or document sizes that can be manipulated easier. It would be a great idea. Please do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically this would shave off about 30-40% of the time spent on creating tillable textures. Especially when there's allot of details that needs to be tossed around. You can't work non-destuctebly at the moment as you always need to merge layers down to tile them correctly. It's also a huge hustle managing all the layers every time you want stuff to tile together.

Even though there's not that many voting for this, i can't say ONE texturer/artist that would explode out of relief and happiness for a function like this. Both game-art and 3D community are HUGE. We are a very big consumer of photoshop. Don't foreget us please! :)

This is, from a 3d artist's point of view, THE biggest feature that's currently not in photoshop.

As a P.S, i'm coming from the gameart forum Polycount and when Iloyd posted his mocup image the board literary exploded when interest and joy (they, we, thought that he'd actually scripted it). http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpo...

Please, PLEASE give us 3D dudes some love! Photoshop is such a powerful and important tool for us, make it THE tool for us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree with everyone on here, I too would love to see this feature.

Also, as Valdemar said, Polycount has very quickly taken on this idea and are all for it.

I feel these user votes are one of the most important thing Adobe can do to add the proper features. Autodesk has started doing this for 3DS Max, and it definitely helped make 2012 its best version yet because of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with everyone on here. It was crazy when lloyd posted this on Polycount and people were jumping all over the idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed. Its kinda ridiculous that Photoshop does not have this feature. I have used paint programs from 1985 that have a mirror/seamless tile paint feature. Painter has also had this feature for years as well. Adobe should review other software packages and features that are successful. Also 3D is NOT Adobes strong point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

except this has nothing to do with what we are talking about, and not what we are asking for. 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - that's the kind of details we need to convince product managers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me while I say, DO WANT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, I'd like to be able to draw a border with a direction and another border with a direction.

So painting across one of them would paint over into the next. And would scale the brush according to the scale ratio of the borders.

So a painting a seamless tiling texture would essentially be two sets of these - automatically placed at the edges of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to have 8 instances of the image tiling (with the canvass rotation feature still working) would be a tool every game texture illustrator would install instantly.

The tool must also include "mirror" feature for being able to symmetrically paint a face. Infact if you could define a "work area" perhaps using slices that would be perfect since you could work on a section of a 512 image that has 1/2 of a face

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sooo many people want this

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So toroidal wraparound is the most important case to you?
Don't many games also used reflective wrapping (as when using a quarter of a texture), and multiple angle reflective mapping (as when using a sixth or eighth of a "round" texture)?
And sheared mappings (like bricks)?
What about other planar mappings (like quilt patterns you found in the Terrazo plug-in)?

Votes

Translate

Translate