• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mirror Paint/Symmetric/Seamless Tile Paint Function

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop could use a interactive Mirror Paint and Seamless edge/border painting function. Painter has had this feature for about 10 years now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Mirror/Symmetry painting is now supported in Photoshop:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/paint-symmetry.html

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Mirror/Symmetry painting is now supported in Photoshop CC. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 165 Replies 165
165 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2011 Dec 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes toroidal wrapping is the most common style of texture tiling. And what many people use.

In game engines you normally can set which wrapping style you want, normal (which is toroidal) and mirrored. Mirrored meaning the texture repeats a-b then b-a. (sorry for the terrible example i am a lowly artist not good with the maths)

after quickly googling the terrazo plugin i have never had the need to paint that type of tile.

i guess what everyone is looking for is a very quick way to make edits to a texture like this

http://www.polygonblog.com/wp-content... (sorry if linking to this texture breaks some forum rules!)

using multiple layers, all of their brushes, ect. For an artist to make this tile currently, they have to use the offset filter and offset each of the layers they are using. This may sound like a simple thing but it become VERY tedious. A 3dpaint program Zbrush has a similar thing already which is incredibly helpful, and i think everyone wants that but in 2d and in Photoshop. Because honestly the less i have to bounce back and forth between all the programs i use to create content, count 'em 5, the better.

Hope this makes sense!

One last thing just to second what everyone else is saying. When this dropped on polycount, this worked everyone into a frenzy. This tool is definitely at the top of my have wanted for years list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all the "platforms" (output/efficiency types)

mobile, online, console, desktop, sprites for blitmaps, sequences of 12 or 30 frames to make rippling water, a single 512 with a face in only 1/4 of the image...

there is no standard.

The power of having a low level instancing feature to create "clones" of what we see seamless is the key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been great to see people come here and voice there views on this,

in the past 24 hours its shot up 20ish votes and this is only from telling one game art forum. [quite a few of them come from company's who have multiple licenses all of whom would benefit from this]

as you can see this is wanted by a lot of people, its just getting it out for them to see.

I can't really go out and show this to everybody who wants it, but to get such great feedback from one forum must ring bells with you.

Please Adobe, see this. ask around.

I also spoke to somebody in VFX and this is something that they do on a daily basis [tile textures] so its not just the game art market.

Also this Photoshop Forum includes Lightroom questions/issues/requests.
without them this feature request would be on the front page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about the math - that's the part we're good at.
But the more information we have about what you need (and who all needs it) - the better solution we can come up with, and the easier it is to get approval from managers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have heard this request before, we just need to hear it from a larger group, and get details from other users about what they specifically need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd think having options like, tiling using the document bounds, > 512 < 0 for example, or using guidelines possibly for bounds, or another type of helper object, so u could specify a location if u wanted and work from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that this sort of feature in Photoshop is something that the computer graphics industry has been clamouring for, for years!

Industry professionals spend a LOT of time not only creating textures, but creatively finding ways to best have them tile using the Offset and Clone Stamp tools. As m faceman posted, this method takes a lot of time for multiple layers that could be better used concentrating on other aspects.
Just thinking about the time and money that would be saved if that problem was solved is mind-boggling!

The first image that Lloyd posted up look like a very user-friendly method to implement it into the UI too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So following on the mockup of Iloyd I thought some about tools like clone stamp and the healing brushes/patch tool. This is the tools you (I) mainly use when i tile a photo sourced texture. To have these tools not to have any boundaries would be very intuitive and useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Valdenmar, Yeah the clone and healing brush's are a must for this tiling workflow!

In your mock-up you'd also need it in the corners too, I'm not trying to pick at what you've put, I just don't want them considering this and only half-implementing what we need.

Thanks for making another visual aid!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed, 3x3 and possibly open enough to zoom out to a 5x5 so we can check for too much repetition in grass or rock tiles.

Should also work on timeline or be able to preview a sequence via a temporary render/"playblast" so we can see an FX sequence of tiling water or lava flowing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you'r right.. I had 3*3 in thought at first. Don't know why i didn't put it in..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what i meant from the start 🙂

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415501/Polyc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, the whole point of having this wrap is to allow Tools to be used seamlessly from one side of the image to the other... but also we need to consider the use of Layer Styles, Filters and Effects that typically stop at the borders. They need to perform continuously and seamlessly across the image boundary as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly. Adobe product "managers" should look at other apps. Painter does this function really well. Seamless tiling should be a "mode" that you paint in. All the tools work in this mode and allows you to wrap paint, and maybe even offset/scale the canvas in real time. Filters would probably have to be applied as smart filters though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been wondering where this feature is since photoshop 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with people here, Photoshop needs this functionality. I work as a game developer and the ability to easily create seamless textures would save me countless hours weekly and monthly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

real time Symmetry.
Photoshop really need Symmetry, a lot of other programs have this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

radial (doing wheels) as well

This is why the feature should probably be as low level as possible with perhaps 2 quick templates

example

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2011 Dec 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a much needed feature in Photoshop. If this feature does get pushed through (fingers crossed) please please please consult with someone from the games industry. Everyone here has the right idea but if this tool gets implemented poorly it would be more of a hassle than a help. That said this would be one of the biggest breakthroughs in Photoshop sense layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symmetry Painting with the Brush tool
A feature I loved back in the days in Deluxe Paint for the Amiga. It is available in Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and would be a great addition to Photoshop.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a short list of feature requests. I'm not sure If Photoshop CS5 can do any of this yet, but maybe it could do similar tasks.

1. I would like a setting for Photoshop to make any brush, not only paint brushes, to mirror the painting to the opposite side for drawing symmetrical things like humans. For example, there could be options for mirroring any type of brush in the X axis, the Y axis, both X and Y, and a free rotation angle the user would set in a value. The mirror brush tool, in my opinion would be great for symmetrical drawings and abstract drawings too.

2. Another feature I would like is an automatic normal map maker for textures, like those sometimes used in 3d games. This automatic normal map tool could be implemented into the 3d menu of Photoshop Extended versions. I would like it if this tool could be used in Photoshop's 3d tools, and on 2d images too.

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post one idea per topic

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm new to this place. I didn't know I was limited to one idea per topic. All the other forums I go to usually let users request more than one thing in one topic. Thanks for the heads up, and the previous posts too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a symmetry tool for photoshop real-time axial or radial symmetry
something like:
- clic symmetry tool to set parameters: activated? , axial or radial?, radial count number? , all layers or one layer ?
- press Alt + clic and drag to draw axis or just clic to draw center of radial symmetry on a layer or for all layers
- for radial symmetry: Set Radial Count ( number of times you want to mirror your stroke around radial center)
- Activate or not Symmetry axial or radial checkbox
- draw in realtime symetry 🙂

example -> zbrush symmetry tool(radial or not) tool 🙂 so powerful

Votes

Translate

Translate