• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mirror Paint/Symmetric/Seamless Tile Paint Function

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop could use a interactive Mirror Paint and Seamless edge/border painting function. Painter has had this feature for about 10 years now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Mirror/Symmetry painting is now supported in Photoshop:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/paint-symmetry.html

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Mirror/Symmetry painting is now supported in Photoshop CC. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 165 Replies 165
165 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an idea for a seamless texture editor. So, you import the image and it places in the centre of a edgeless 3x3 grid with the same image. If you make a change in one of them, all of them change, until the texture appears seamless, then you can save the original with all the changes. I would love this feature, would be killer. Please implement this Adobe. I have attached a (bad) example

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephane Baril has posted a step by step on how to use the 3D Postcard tool to paint in symmetry in this video, it might be useful for the time being: https://vimeo.com/70282549

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an idea for symmetrical editing in Photoshop.

There could be a feature where you place a special guideline in the middle of the two objects you want to manipulate symmetrically, and then anything selected on one side of the guideline will be symmetrically mirrored on the other side of the guideline. For example, let's say that I have a picture of a person, and I want to move their eyes closer together or farther apart by the same amount. If you put the guideline in the middle of the person's face and then select around the left eye, an identical mirrored selection would be made on the other side of the guideline (around the right eye). Then, you could either nudge both eyes in the same direction, nudge both eyes closer to the guideline, or nudge both eyes away from the guideline.

In addition, any edits done to the picture on one side of the guideline will automatically be mirrored on the picture on other side of the guideline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2013 Oct 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D P:

This is exactly how it is done in Corel Painter. Don ́t know why Photoshop still doesn ́t offer something like that. But Painter is soooo much better for painting anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, as an illustrator and graphic designer I've been dying for realtime symmetry/tiling in Photoshop for a LONG time.

Some games industry guys have commented, but there are applications for logo design, industrial design, textile design, photomanipulation, concept art, texturing, the list goes on and on. This should be key functionality, and robust as possible.

The way Zbrush handles it (as a toggle), with radial options is smart. I think a good way to handle it would be account for all types of symmetry mathematically possible. But in the meantime, just being able to mirror painting,pen tool, etc. over an axis in realtime would be brain explodingly good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind, Photoshop is first and foremost, the dominant 2d program. The newer 3d bells and whistles are nice, but the thing people go to it for is manipulating 2 dimensional imagery. Symmetry in 2d design is as old and primitive as human civilization. There's no excuse not to include it.

It's a mathematical process that a computer can handle very well to do what a human can't easily on their own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tossing in my support for this idea. I'm a graphic designer and game artist, and both a symmetry tool and a canvas wrapping tool would be two of the biggest improvements to my workflow I can imagine.

For logo design or creating emblems, icons, etc, being able to quickly iterate with the brush tool is great. Symmetrical designs are notoriously hard to do by hand, though, and a mirror/symmetry brush or function would be incredibly beneficial both in terms of time and results. Similarly, when creating a character model in a 3D-modeling app, game artists will draw a reference sheet in Photoshop. It's nearly impossible to draw a perfectly symmetrical character by hand, so what I'm doing right now is using a smart object that I have mirrored and masked in a separate parent document. Obviously not ideal. Sometimes I'll work in Manga Studio and use their symmetry options, but I'd rather stay in Photoshop where I do the majority of my work and where I'm most comfortable.

For texture tiling, If I'm painting a cobblestone street, for example, it takes a lot of work to make sure that the cracks between the stones line up on all edges of the texture. Having a function dedicated to automatically extending a document on all edges so a user could paint seamlessly would be incredible. I'm aware of the 3D workaround, but it's clunky and limited. My current approach is to duplicate a smart object into a 3x3 grid, paint inside the smart object, and save to update the preview in the parent document.

I know so many artists in games and design who would get so much use out of this. It's a daily part of any texture artists' workflow, and many of us feel a bit let down that it hasn't been addressed. I remain hopeful that it'll be added to Photoshop soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need this!

I am using right now "Dumb Symmetry tool" plugin forphotoshop, which does this at the click of of a button.
http://www.hundredsofsparrows.com/ind...

But this is just a mere placeholder solution, we need REALTIME symmetry painting!

Adobe, come on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiling Texture paint mode that isn't slow and is intuitive to use.

Right now there are 2 options for painting tile-able textures in photoshop. You can use the Offset Filter or use the 3D "New tiled painting from layer". Its so close to useful but so far from it at the same time. The offset one can be a pain in the neck for when you have 20+ layers and the 3d "new tiled painting from layer" can't give you the same fidelity as normal painting in photoshop can (Also can be really really slow).

I propose that photoshop spend some serious time on this feature to act closer to how Zbrush 2D tiling maps work. Say i grab a layer that is set to be tiled. I would then like to just move that layer halfway off of the canvas and the other half transfers to the opposite side real-time. That way i would be able to take my entire image, move it over and have it automatically transfer those pixels to the opposite ends without having to sit there in offset and without having to swap back and forth between smart objects in 3D tiled painting. There are so many other instances where this could be a useful feature as well.

Figured I'd finally share my thoughts. Love the software, just wish certain little things like this would take priority over the 3D stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2014 Mar 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like corel painter or zbrush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drawing with symmetry in Photoshop would be a very helpful addition. vertical horizontal and radial symmetry with adjustable number of points in radial mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some very basic features that every other paint package has had for 15+ years. And even after disussing them in forums for years, Adobe still wont implent them no matter what the demand. Very confused, but reinforces that Photoshop team isnt interested in its user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or that the Photoshop team has a lot of requests from a lot of different users, and hasn't had a chance to address this one yet. Everybody has a feature that they want, but we can't do them all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symmetry... look for Krita or other painting app that have symmetry. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of open source source code that can show you how to do it and add something similar, its been years I want this in photoshop -,- sad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wuao, 3 years ago this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canvas wrap and Live symmetry would be a really stunning addition. Astute Graphics has done it for Illustrator. Any chance of it it in Photoshop, 2015 release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shout on my Twitter @dramenon > it may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't. Literally every drawing app has these functions except for Photoshop. Adobe doesn't understand how professionals use their tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope to change your mind one day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it has been 3 years since we have been all talking about this. The users don't seem to have much of a voice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you';re saying and I take these request very seriously. As entrust I want these things as badly as you.

Would you consider a conversation over email so that I may get your top concerns and requests?  [email address removed as per forum guidelines] 

And this offer is open to anyone that wants to share that last > just use in the Subject Line something like "Ps Wishlist"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also might want to read the responses on the first page of this request topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. It's the same ol thing. I'm sorry. You won't get 50,000 users coming on here asking for features. You know why? They have a life and professional jobs, and Adobe is notorious for poor service and implementing useless features. This is why companys like Astute graphics exist, to make actual useful tools that Adobe cannot design.

Adobe is ignoring the ask of the Video Game industry and the Movie Industry who produce graphics on a daily basis using all of the Adobe apps and 3d apps at once. This is where Adobe workflows and tools fail. This forum is exhausting and already wasted my time. You guys don't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is ignoring requests. We are trying to get more information in order to justify this to our management. But we do have a lot of requests from many different customer segments, plus all the changes forced on us by OS changes (high DPI, OS bugs, new APIs) and new hardware.

Just because you didn't get your favorite feature in a particular release does not mean the request has been ignored, it just means we haven't gotten to it yet. If we get more requests for a feature, that moves it higher in the priority list and makes it more likely to happen sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll check back in another 3 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate