P: New layer style: Cast Shadow

24 Votes
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2011 May 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer styles are useful because of their parametric and their non-destructive natures.

Smart Filters are useful, but require the creation of a smart object beforehand.

I'd like to suggest new layer styles, of commonly used effects, that would help to automate time-consuming tasks.

Cast Shadow would simulate the shadow casted by a light placed in front or behind the object/layer.

It would use most of the controls found on the proposed Mirror layer style (point of origin, distance, angle, blurring, fade, shrinking, enlarging...)

I hope that other users will chime in with proposed refinements, or create other threads with additional (useful and feasible) layer styles they'd like to see.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2011 Jun 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see something like this integrated even if it wasn't a layer style, but a filter like the Alien Skin shadow maker plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Quick cast shadows would just as useful as drop shadows, if not more! Please consider this, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, a shadow is a quite complex construct. Not everyone loves the basic drop shadow. But to create quick mockups, it might be awfully handy to have a shadow-creation-tool like it is already in use for Apple Keynote. I guess is shouldn't be the hardest thing to develop. Just like some quick contact shadows etc.

Would be a huge time saver for simple graphics. Hope somebody is thinking the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesús Ramirez has a great tutorial on how to leverage Photoshop 3D to make realistic shadows on his YouTube channel:
     How To Make Realistic Shadows in Photoshop [Technique That You Probably Don't Know]
     https://youtu.be/EJ7UAzFv17c

It's extra steps, but well worth the effort.

It would be great to see some sort of Realistic Shadow Tool or Realistic Shadow Layer Style in a future release of PS.  This suggestion has my vote!

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 08.06.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently the drop shadow filter acts as if the object was floating above the surface it drops the shadow to on a same hight at every point. But the objects generally are standing vertically on the ground. In order for shadow truly to be a shadow, a viewer horizon should be possible to set and the position of the light source. 

If two simple sliders could be added to the shadow filter. Angle and level of horizon and angle and location of light source.

Thank you! This is more like a feature request. I know, I can turn the image upraight, copy a layer and feather the selection out and fill it with black and then apply perspective, skew and free transform respectively and then restore the object angle but would not it be nice if it was incorporated in the shadow filter.

That is as if it was a actual photoshop where position of ligth and level and angle of camera can be moved around freely. 

Also, when rotating a layer, it would be nice if paths could also be rotated along with it. Logically it can be achieved by rotating the crop but it is a bit cumbersome. Would not it be nice to have rotate paths checkbox in the layers list. Or if there were more than one path, then just list them in the layers list so thay can be added to a multimple selection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drop-Shadow-b.jpg

Drop Shadow is an amazing photo editing effect. After doing clipping path this effect can be imparted to an image for boosting the visual appearance as well as making it eye-catching. Because a beautiful image can easily draw the audience's attention than this is not. 

Professional Product Photo Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out: https://www.behance.net/gallery/136284153/Shadowify-2-by-Simon-Henke

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes such a good idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon Henke's plug in is amazing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This plugin looks really nice and powerful! The advantage of Layer styles is that their settings can be changed, they can be dragged and dropped, saved in Styles, they even work in other programs...

Votes

Translate

Translate