Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Perspective guides & grids for painting, sketching

11 Votes
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the ability to sketch in perspective, having strokes constrained to adjustable points placed on the canvas would be terrific like having a t square and ruler on my old drafting table.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021
Thanks for the suggestions. Be sure to hit the UpVote button at the top of the page if you'd like to see tools for perspective guides/grids and drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
52 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I do programming with C++ & Python and this is first time i m going to make plugin for Photoshop.

My aim is to create "Perspective Grid Tool" like in Adobe Illustrator.

nf_gridpresetsdef_popup.png

So please advice me , From Where can i start ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After searching lot on google i found some useful tools for creating Perspective Grid inside Photoshop.

Perspective tools 1.6.1

http://www.hundredsofsparrows.com/index.php/tools/

kitfox perspectiveGrids

http://www.kitfox.com/projects/photoshopPersp/index.html

Epic Carapace Tool

http://download.udk.com/Carapace/Carapace%20v1.0.rar

But still i wish that in next version of Photoshop, Developer will add this tool inside pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sketchbook PRO 2015: perspective sketching tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r96G15n08Y4

Hope Photoshop Developers team will give tools like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you're not aware, you can do this already using the Vanishing Point filter using a simple (round) brush.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, I will look into the VP filter a bit more, it wasn't obvious right off the bat how to get it going but I will keep at it, also the simple round brush is a rare tool in my arsenal, but that is beside the point. Here is a quick mock up of what I was thinking, if it ends up being helpful I could go into more detail and do some other mock ups, but this is the basic idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. So you more or less angled guides?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as long as they are fixed to a vanishing point and only lock in when the pen touches down. I wouldn't want to have to readjust the angle for each stroke if it were a fixed angle thing. Although even having an adjustable angle guide would be a step in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Modified the mock up and idea to clarify what I was thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perspective grid tool for ps cc

looking to use the perspective tool in ps-cc is it native to the updated program or is it a external plug in and how to i get it.

thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean the Vanishing Point filter found in the Filters Menu.

If you mean Perspective Warp, you can find that in the Edit menu.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop is long over do for a perspective grid tool. I wonder if it will ever get one. Most art programs have them these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the other Artists on this forum, Photoshop has seriously fallen behind in this area. As an illustrator I tend to have to use multiple programs, switching between Sketchbook and Corel painter. Both have this extremely useful feature. On the ipad Procreate and adobe line CC has it (similar but not quite as good). Sketch CC and Sketchbook also has the ability to use brushes, erasers to draw around shapes such as French Curves and ellipses. The vanishing point filter is way to clumsy and unintuitive. It ‘s primary use for me is cloning bricks or other architectural features, certainly not drawing. I would like to see a dedicated 1,2 and 3 point perspective sketch tool which is a feature and not hidden away under menus. Hopefully someone from Adobe is listening, however I am not holding my breath. After all it’s taken until CC 2018 to have folder sets for brushes. Glad to see stroke assist (smoothing) implemented though. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,

I’m curious if anyone has heard anything about Photoshop CC 2018 getting any of the perspective grid or snapping rulers added to it? Because havping recently purchased an upgraded IPad with the pencil and started using Adobe Sketch and seeing it has these features really makes me wish for them in the full version.

As nice as Lazi Numi is, it is still clunky at times, making me port projects back and forth from Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro when doing perspective illustrations. Because Sketchbook Pro has great perspective and French curve tools.

Thanks if if anyone has heard anything of this happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two feature come to mind vanishing point and perspective warp.  Have you checked out these Photoshop features?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of those and they are not quite the same as the perspective grid tool in Adobe Sketch where you set the perspective how you want and can draw in perspective when using the ruler. The ruler snaps into perspective based on where you set it and mimics using traditional pencils and rulers as you draw a line.

If I'm missing something within Photoshop that can replicate that please share. I am also aware of using paths to create grids but the Adobe Sketch version of taking the guess work out while being able to draw a straight line in perspective is great.

I appreciate your response though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a big fan of drawing on my iPad pro using Adobe Sketch. but I also have a Surface Book and can run full Photoshop. but I miss the perspective tools and the pure simplicity of sketching in Sketch. I've seen arguments about not porting Sketch to Windows because you can 'just use Photoshop' but they are not the same. id love a 'interface' of within photo shop that acts like more like Sketch. perspective tools, simple interface, rulers, etc.

Or of course a Windows version of sketch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe

Many thanks for developing mirror painting into your software. Best new feature in many years.

I'd like to suggest a new feature that allows you to paint on perspective grids in the same manner that Corel Painter does. Something that allows you to move the position of vanishing points in 1, 2 and 3 point perspective. And to one up Corel.. Add the ability to paint on an Isometric grid. Then you are looking after your concept artists and gamers. Make it happen folks! Good luck.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be cool if Photoshop had some perspective grid tools. I spend a lot of time working out vanishing points and lines and not enough time drawing. =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope so aswell. Its in adobe sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Would very much so like the features in adobe sketch. Im curious why photoshop included it in an app but not in the mainline project. I Hope they do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im learning to paint digitally with photoshop at the moment and have encountered the topic of perspective

it seems people are using custom brushes or modified polygons to create perspective grids to work from.

this seems like a bit of a hack way to do things for a program which is so powerful such as photoshop.

it seems like quite an omission for photoshop not to have perspective tools / rulers , that you can snap your lines to etc.

i have posted this in feature requests just now, but im posting here aswell because i would like feedback from other users as to what they think.  hopefully someone will tell me that iv got it all wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can make a perspective grid in the vanishing point filter.

Add an empty layer.

Open the vanishing point filter.

Layout the grids

Go to the menu at the top left of the filter then choose "Render Grids to Photoshop"

Click OK and the perspective grid will be drawn on your empty layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop do you have?

djmattyz  wrote

it seems people are using custom brushes or modified polygons to create perspective grids to work from.

this seems like a bit of a hack way to do things...

How old are those articles?

There are lots of different  ways to do things in Photoshop.  Some people prefer one method over another out of  habit or just not knowing any other way to do it.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines