Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 2022 Color Gradient Tools [Edit - formerly Color Management]

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot_14.png

I tried to explain this in the picture above, I do hope you understand what I mean and I'm sorry if I described it wrong, thank you to @davescm & @TheDigitalDog for help if you can help me explain it better please feel free to edit my thread.

Here is an example of my latest work/style to give devs an idea of how it would be useful to me:

(Link removed by modetator)

I'm using gradients quite alot in Photoshop and I have no intention to switch to illustrator I wish to main this program and continue advancing as a visual designer in it! I trully hope to see something like this in the future.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited the title as it is clear from your post you are talking about tools and dialogues involved in gradients - not colour management.

Photoshop is a pixel editor not a vector editor, so the tools and editing capabilities are never going to be the same. A vector editor stores its 'image' internally as a list of instructions and therefore remains editable throughout, an edit merely means change one or more of the instructions and redraw . A pixel editor, like Photoshop, stores its images as individual pixels - so the pixels in a gradient would have to be redrawn completely if changed. That is easy with a separate Gradient fill layer, but not when the gradient tool has been used  to change pixels on an image layer as the instructions on how it was drawn are not recorded.

If you click on a gradient fill layer then you can adjust the gradient itself, colour values can be entered directly in teh colour picker:

2022-05-16_18-35-49.jpg

The gradient tool brings up the same dialogues but of course requires to be set before using it as it lays down pixels - and is not editable in the same way as an Illustrator vector.

I am not clear on eaxctly what you want change in the above, without turning Photoshop into a vector image editor.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the picture Dave,

Would you not agree this is quite an out-dated method and could do with an update to make gradient managment easier?

One similar to illustrators would do the job but if you say its not possible I guess i'll have to give up trying here?

I'm just looking for an updated ui. The picture you displayed has 4 steps you have to do to change the gradient on the layer, Illustrator only has 2 steps you need to take, if that makes sense more?

Its just improving work-flow but in Photoshop 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"..........if you say its not possible I guess i'll have to give up trying here?"

On the contrary, I use Illustrator as well as Photoshop and there is always a place for improvement. For example I like the live on screen controls on gradients in Illustrator which could be applied to an editable gradient fill layer in Photoshop, or to a shape layer filled with a gradient, although not to a gradient that has already been layed down as pixels on a pixel layer.

What I'm trying to get to is what exact steps in the above would you change and how? That way other users can chip in and vote.

Dave 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"What I'm trying to get to is what exact steps in the above would you change and how?"

Thats where you could possibly come in and help me somehow to explain it better?

For example its like you said the live on screen controls are amazing in illustrator for gradients and i couldn't agree more and i'm happy you noticed it also

Votes

Translate

Translate