Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please Provide Support for the WebP Image format

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Team (as well as the Illustrator and Edge Tools Team):

The format improves upon .jpeg and .png use cases today while at the same time providing 2x-3x smaller file sizes at the same, comparable quality settings.

According to the image specificaitons, "WebP supports lossless transparency (also known as alpha channel) with just 22% additional bytes. Transparency is also supported with lossy compression and typically provides 3x smaller file sizes compared to PNG when lossy compression is acceptable for the red/green/blue color channels" (https://developers.google.com/speed/w...).

Being able to used on the latest Android devices an the latest versions of Chrome and Opera (I know they both use Blink, and thus it isn't a surprise that both support it already), according to caniuse.com, it is sort of reasonable to consider I think.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Native WebP support was added to Photoshop 23.2: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022-1.html#support-for-webp

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more and more im forced to work with WebP files - but I cant open them in photoshop without installing a 3rd party plugin. ( yuck )

is there any hope for support for this file extension that has been out since 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, PLEASE support the WEBP format. The sooner Adobe supports this format, the sooner it can propagate out into the web, and the sooner we can get back all that wasted bandwidth.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include WEBP support!

Look: Adobe's lack of support is contributing to the problem:
http://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-tri...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is always a bit slow with file format support. Not sure why?

Webp would be very welcome. At least basic save/open functionality, but would be nice if it was supported by Save-for-web/Export as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

How to save as file to " webp " for telegram stickers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to open a WEBP file in Photoshop. Seems weird that even several years after this format was released, there is no Photoshop support for this format. What's going on? Is there some reason Adobe doesn't want to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated 07/14/2021: 

As noted by Johannes there is a really nice file format plug-in that opens and saves webp files from Photoshop. You can download the Webp plugin and check the installation instructions here (with universal/ARM support): https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/support-webp-image-format.html

According to Google's webP support page, you can download a free plug-in for webP support here: http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat#webpformat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. That is not the same as Photoshop natively supporting such image formats though. 

Photoshop natively supporting such things would be more user-friendly for the end user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that native support would be preferable rather than downloading a plugin from some company I have never heard of.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Photoshop CC on OSX this beta WebP plug-in may work:
https://github.com/fnordware/AdobeWebM

Please regard best practice for websites:
https://developers.google.com/web/tools/lighthouse/audits/webp

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't regard serving WebP as best practice. Its not really supported outside of Google products.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be revived. it's rediculous we can't open, edit, or save webP images in 2018. I get years ago but today it's rediculous. Many of us front end developers have been using webP for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I simply don't get why this isn't part of Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, because they really don't give a crap?

Yes, sour grapes. I've watched bug reports like this get glossed over for years, only to have Adobe reps (repeatedly) say in forums like this that we users are too dumb to understand the complexities of programming etc etc. and how hard it is boo hoo. OK, fine. 

But hey, let's look on the bright side: Adobe is making record profits ($5.85 billion in 2016), so who cares if the program does what the users need, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current WebP plugin does not support transparency. We need a full-featured export feature built into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why doesn't Photoshop natively support the webP format? Will that change soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum not Adobe. Adobe also does not publicize their future plains. Or give reason why the do things. Many of us would like to know both.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

You'd be right amazed at what some users know, often more than Adobe support.  Some users are also key dev folk. I suspect the answer on this one lies somewhere in a standards tussle. Having one format to rule them all would lead to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you know there are WebP third party photoshop plugins like this one?

http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. If I were desperate I'd use one of them even though they all seem to have their problems.

My hidden hope is that Adobe will put its weight down somewhere on JPG replacement. Maybe they are in ignoring webP. <G>

Thanks again, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happen to agree here - jpeg is seriously overdue for a replacement, and Photoshop could help push.

The problem, I suspect, is that jpeg is too effective. File sizes down to 2% of original with no immediate visual damage is hard to beat. Most people don't know or even care that jpeg degradation is cumulative.

So there's no perceived need out there. We already have something that works for 99.999% of all users. They don't feel they have anything to gain, so why bother. All downside and no upside.

It's the same story as, random example, 30 bit display support. It never gets any traction, because there's no perceived need, no real market to tap into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sort of in the 99.99% on this; while the JPEG standard is definitely old by internet standards, it also is fairly effective and supported by everything at this point.  Personally I also have old photo archives in JPEG format, so even just for consistency's sake it is nice to keep it the same. 

Much like Google+ this webP format is a nice try on Google's part, but they are re-inventing something that already exists and is pretty darn good the way it is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question has nothing to do with replacing the current or legacy Joint Photographic Experts Group standards but rather the limited one of support for webP.  Adobe supports a big beautiful list of infrequency used file types but not this one. It's BSD licensed so that is seemingly not the issue.

Most browsers now support webP. Many developers appreciate the file size reductions holding quality equal and the ability to go transparent without changing file type.

As JJMack noted, most readers here are unable to access the collective mind of Adobe, but hope springs eternal. The answer may be as simple as webP in the dev pipeline with more important work inserted ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your more likely to get a response from adobe if you ask over here:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. That's a fine place and I've gone there. The discussions are still at the suggest third-party plug-in stage. even those marked as Idea rather than help. I've also made a direct feature request to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate